News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

"Wipe Out The Small Operators"

Started by dayvid, October 16, 2013, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trident4370

Quote from: clayderman on October 18, 2013, 01:11:02 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on October 17, 2013, 10:18:59 PM
I think the 99 service fits in with other contracts they have in the area so the bus isn't doing nothing all day but I do agree something needs to be done about them as it is just a farce! "AMPM the Second" springs to mind with these numberplate swaps...

Well, at least AMPM Travel was more organised. They had their own livery, a few settled routes, such as the 6. AMPM looked like a competitor to Diamond, rather than NXWM!  ;D

Yeah until they started doing dodgy dealings, that is why Solihull Travel was born! I'm not sure exactly what happened but I believe it was something to do with Insurance or something(possibly Solihull Travel that I'm thinking of), ultimately ending up in the firms liquidation. Not to mention the issues with Centro and the Nbus tickets. A google search on ampm also brings up this amusing article http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/former-birmingham-bus-driver-branded-163178
Sorry but they were just as bent as VIP in my personal opinion.

CL

Quote from: trident4370 on October 18, 2013, 03:57:27 PM
I think the 99 service fits in with other contracts they have in the area so the bus isn't doing nothing all day but I do agree something needs to be done about them as it is just a farce! "AMPM the Second" springs to mind with these numberplate swaps...

Well, at least AMPM Travel was more organised. They had their own livery, a few settled routes, such as the 6. AMPM looked like a competitor to Diamond, rather than NXWM!  ;D

Yeah until they started doing dodgy dealings, that is why Solihull Travel was born! I'm not sure exactly what happened but I believe it was something to do with Insurance or something(possibly Solihull Travel that I'm thinking of), ultimately ending up in the firms liquidation. Not to mention the issues with Centro and the Nbus tickets. A google search on ampm also brings up this amusing article http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/former-birmingham-bus-driver-branded-163178

I wasn't aware of that...  ???
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

trident4370

Quote from: clayderman on October 18, 2013, 06:04:08 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on October 18, 2013, 03:57:27 PM

I wasn't aware of that...  ???

Neither was I at first so dont worry about it ;) Just goes to show dishonesty and corner cutting will always come back to haunt you...

This is why I don't understand the fixation with "keeping all little guys" on the road, if they are knowingly flouting rules then why should they be allowed to continue?

Stu

Quote from: trident4370 on October 18, 2013, 06:14:07 PM

This is why I don't understand the fixation with "keeping all little guys" on the road, if they are knowingly flouting rules then why should they be allowed to continue?

As has already been pointed out, don't tar all 'little operators' with the same brush. Not all of them are cowboy operations.

Silverline are a good example; they may only operate 3 services (36, S9 and S10) but with the exception of some older Optare Solos, their fleet is very modern and well-presented.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

trident4370

I never said they were, the point I am making is why is everyone so keen on keeping everybody going despite the fact a fair few break the rules, if NX started taping up windows there would be a huge uproar from passengers. My point is competition is good but it shouldnt be a case of one rule for the little guy, one for everyone else...

Stu

Then it is up to us, as passengers, to complain about these smaller operators to Centro, where it is justified to do so.

I myself am not in a position to make any complaints, as I only use NXWM services myself, but if I was in a position where I was regularly using another operator, and I personally felt that operator was not operating their services to the standards that Centro expected (on subsidised services of course), then I would be perfectly entitled to make a complaint.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Lukeee

Quote from: Stu on October 18, 2013, 06:25:21 PM

As has already been pointed out, don't tar all 'little operators' with the same brush. Not all of them are cowboy operations.

Silverline are a good example; they may only operate 3 services (36, S9 and S10) but with the exception of some older Optare Solos, their fleet is very modern and well-presented.

Central Buses are another example

nitromatt1

Quote from: Lukeee on October 18, 2013, 11:11:50 PM
Quote from: Stu on October 18, 2013, 06:25:21 PM

Central Buses are another example

I'd suggest Banga Buses as another, their fleet is of course not the most modern but seems to be properly maintained and in a smart livery. Never had anything bad to say about them, other than their buses hogging and blocking the 59 stop in Lichfield Street! ;)

trident4370

I don't really understand why these examples are being put forward to my quote, I clearly said "if they are knowingly flouting rules then why should they be allowed to continue?" Central Buses, Silverline etc. Have never in my knowledge been caught doing anything naughty, and anyone who knows me will know I'm a big CB fan! Completely misunderstood the point I was making...

Kevin

I possibly have to add at this point (I know the thread is about "small operators" but)....

This whole "knowingly flouting the rules" things, what about NX putting presidents, mercs and eclipses on frequent routes that enter the city centre despite the emissions rule?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

nitromatt1

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2013, 07:21:21 AM
I possibly have to add at this point (I know the thread is about "small operators" but)....

This whole "knowingly flouting the rules" things, what about NX putting presidents, mercs and eclipses on frequent routes that enter the city centre despite the emissions rule?

What eclipses can't go into the city centre on frequent routes?

John

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 19, 2013, 09:20:23 AM

They all can. Single deckers from 1750 upwards are allowed (along with 801-830)

nitromatt1

Quote from: John on October 19, 2013, 09:26:57 AM

Exactly, perhaps Kevin meant Liberators?

Kevin

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 19, 2013, 09:29:51 AM

Ok ignore the word Eclipses in my post, I thought Walsalls old Eclipses were not allowed. Either way, the rest of the post is valid yeah?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2013, 10:12:10 AM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 19, 2013, 09:29:51 AM

Ok ignore the word Eclipses in my post, I thought Walsalls old Eclipses were not allowed. Either way, the rest of the post is valid yeah?

From what I remember from reading the original agreement it did allow the occasional use of a non-compliant (emissions not DDA) in case of keeping a service running

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk