News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: MW on August 06, 2020, 12:55:39 PM
It generally is busy during the peaks. Off peaks appears to tick over. Off peak frequency is 50% of peak frequency.
Used to double in frequency from every 20 to every 10 at peak times. Though I think that changed a little when the 1A was introduced to QE  Hosp & B'ham Uni.
Quote from: Pat on August 06, 2020, 01:04:27 PM
Every 30 each, combining to every 15 between Acocks Green and Bristol Road.
Sept 2019 timetable shows extras to Five Ways in the peaks paticularly around school times. Pershore Road - Acocks Green seems to run at roughly every 10 minute frequency throughout most of the day these days.
I don't know what timetable you are looking at @Pat, but that's probably a reduced COVID Timetable.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on August 06, 2020, 12:59:50 PM
Is  that still the case, I though that changed when the 1A to QE Hosp & B'ham Uni was introduced.
I thought it runs at a 10 minute frequency throughout the day combined now. Every 20 each?
Every 30 each, combining to every 15 between Acocks Green and Bristol Road.

MW

Quote from: Pat on August 06, 2020, 12:57:55 PM
Oh right.  Didn't think it was that busy.

Have you ever used this service during the peaks?

Pat

Quote from: MW on August 06, 2020, 01:06:11 PM
Have you ever used this service during the peaks?
No.  Just didn't think it got as busy as 'full and standing'.

MW

Quote from: Pat on August 06, 2020, 01:16:35 PM
No.  Just didn't think it got as busy as 'full and standing'.

I've driven this service and had full loads at peaks.

For me personally, this is a useful service too. I've used it before between Acocks Green & Moseley, and to Five Ways, and to the old Library on Broad Street.

It would be better I think if it still served the Town Hall but obviously roads have changed on that side of the City Centre.

ellspurs

Quote from: Busboy105 on August 05, 2020, 08:55:04 PM
Yes that's true. But I don't understand why the 1 just doesn't go into the City Centre. Maybe there's some passengers that don't want to get off at Five Ways and wait for the 23/24/25.

The 1 used to terminate at the Town Hall before all of the recent changes. I am unsure if there was a specific reason for it not going into the City Centre.

MasterPlan

Quote from: ellspurs on August 06, 2020, 03:31:14 PM
The 1 used to terminate at the Town Hall before all of the recent changes. I am unsure if there was a specific reason for it not going into the City Centre.

Well it's been shortened on both ends over the years, as until the most recent changes it went to Gospel Oak (now only as far as Acocks Green).
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: MasterPlan on August 06, 2020, 03:59:01 PM
Well it's been shortened on both ends over the years, as until the most recent changes it went to Gospel Oak (now only as far as Acocks Green).
Shortened back to its original terminus at Acocks Green. Orriginal route was Town Hall to Acocks Green, before it was extended to replace the YW 3 in 2014.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on August 06, 2020, 04:04:20 PM
Shortened back to its original terminus at Acocks Green. Orriginal route was Town Hall to Acocks Green, before it was extended to replace the YW 3 in 2014.
It went to Shirley at one point too.

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on August 06, 2020, 03:31:14 PM

The 1 hasn't gone to the Town Hall for several years now. Even when it did, it was off-peak daytimes only, morning and evening peaks finished at Five Ways, with early morning and evening journeys finishing at Sheepcote Street.

Broad Street and Five Ways congestion finished that part of the route off; as journey times increased it was a case of either adding an extra bus, or curtailing the service.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

dingding

Think that Broad Street used to get so clogged up that the decision was taken to truncate the route at Five Ways on the basis of "did the passenger traffic warrant the use of an additional PVR?" to service an already well served section of road. So it was a partially economic cost saving measure/common sense service reliability change. After all it is only a case of jumping from one bus onto another with minimal delay. The 1 is one of the oldest routes in Birmingham celebrating its centenary a couple of years ago. There have been minimal changes over the years apart from some fiddling around at the Acocks Green end and has always been a steady source of passenger revenue.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: dingding on August 06, 2020, 06:29:49 PM
Think that Broad Street used to get so clogged up that the decision was taken to truncate the route at Five Ways on the basis of "did the passenger traffic warrant the use of an additional PVR?" to service an already well served section of road. So it was a partially economic cost saving measure/common sense service reliability change. After all it is only a case of jumping from one bus onto another with minimal delay. The 1 is one of the oldest routes in Birmingham celebrating its centenary a couple of years ago. There have been minimal changes over the years apart from some fiddling around at the Acocks Green end and has always been a steady source of passenger revenue.

1 remember the 1 being a prime line route with toothpaste like branding on presidents , think that was a pointless centro excercise

Tony

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 06, 2020, 09:38:48 PM
1 remember the 1 being a prime line route with toothpaste like branding on presidents , think that was a pointless centro excercise

It wasn't Centro and it wasn't pointless, it was done to improve passenger numbers and it did

PB2938

Between 1994 - 2001 daytime 1 was extended to Birmingham corporation street as 1A

Later renumbered 1M around 1998 terminating Birmingham colmore row and Jewellery Quarter.

The was also a 1C serving Birmingham Town Hall by 2001 all these variations gone with7 just the

1 Five Ways - Acocks Green

Metro buses branded smart pink stripe 2549 2605 2607 2749 2796 2798 2849
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

Jack D

X12 is moving to BC, could we see more up to date platinum's on this route?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk