News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Busboy105 on August 05, 2020, 08:55:04 PM
Yes that's true. But I don't understand why the 1 just doesn't go into the City Centre. Maybe there's some passengers that don't want to get off at Five Ways and wait for the 23/24/25.
Reliability, the 1 gets held in Hall Green, Moseley and on it's way to Five Ways. This is why it was cut back, extending it back to the City would ruin it.

Quote from: Steve3229vp on August 05, 2020, 09:03:27 PM
Reliability, the 1 gets held in Hall Green, Moseley and on it's way to Five Ways. This is why it was cut back, extending it back to the City would ruin it.
And lots of the places it serves already have a link to the City Centre. X20/X21/X22, 35, 2/3, 6, 4/4A, 45/47, 23/24, etc, are all high frequency routes that the 1 crosses. So maybe not much demand either.

Maybe there's some passengers that don't want to get off at Five Ways and wait for the 23/24/25.
Well you won't be able to get off at Five Ways Morrisons and be able to get on the 25 as it doesn't even stop there or serve Harborne Road. As that uses Chad Road to access Ladywood inbound and stops on the other side of Five Ways, on the ring road. Outbound it doesn't even serve Five Ways and runs via Spring Hill.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

The 25 does serve the Harborne Road, just not that part of it (for some reason).
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: MasterPlan on August 05, 2020, 10:08:36 PM
The 25 does serve the Harborne Road, juat not that part of it (for some reason).
Yes, meant the one way part through Edgbaston.
If it did serve that part of Harborne Road it would have to go back on itself up the Hagley Road afterwards to get to Ladywood. So would probably take longer and mean they couldn't operate it with just the 1 bus. So probably makes sense I think. 
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Yes that's true. But I don't understand why the 1 just doesn't go into the City Centre. Maybe there's some passengers that don't want to get off at Five Ways and wait for the 23/24/25.

It doesn't need to, it's not that kind of route
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

bususer28

Maybe once they've finished the metro works and Broad Street is reserved for buses, they can extend it to the library or Colmore Row like it used to do a couple of years back considering Paradise Circus is shut for now.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on August 05, 2020, 09:55:34 PM
And lots of the places it serves already have a link to the City Centre. X20/X21/X22, 35, 2/3, 6, 4/4A, 45/47, 23/24, etc, are all high frequency routes that the 1 crosses. So maybe not much demand either.
I've never really seen the point in the 1.  As you say, it doesn't really go anywhere that isn't served by a frequent service to the City Centre anyway.  And who would want to go to Five Ways when you can just get a bus right into the City Centre?

Tony

Quote from: Pat on August 06, 2020, 11:55:03 AM
I've never really seen the point in the 1.  As you say, it doesn't really go anywhere that isn't served by a frequent service to the City Centre anyway.  And who would want to go to Five Ways when you can just get a bus right into the City Centre?

All the people that work in the offices at Five Ways? All the kids at the schools between FiveWays and Bristol Road?

Pat

Quote from: Tony on August 06, 2020, 12:19:27 PM
All the people that work in the offices at Five Ways? All the kids at the schools between FiveWays and Bristol Road?
What are the loadings like on the 1?

Stu

Quote from: Pat on August 06, 2020, 11:55:03 AM

You're working on the assumption that everyone in south Birmingham wants to travel into the city centre.

For those that do, the 1 has always provided a useful 'radial' link, connecting passengers 'inbetween' main trunk roads to frequent city-bound services. I doubt someone on Shaftmoor Lane would use the 1 all the way to Five Ways to then change onto a 23 or 24 to get to city centre.

When I lived in Acocks Green, I regularly used the 1 to connect with Hagley Road services heading away from city, in order to avoid travelling into the city centre.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Pat

Quote from: Stu on August 06, 2020, 12:38:42 PM
You're working on the assumption that everyone in south Birmingham wants to travel into the city centre.

For those that do, the 1 has always provided a useful 'radial' link, connecting passengers 'inbetween' main trunk roads to frequent city-bound services. I doubt someone on Shaftmoor Lane would use the 1 all the way to Five Ways to then change onto a 23 or 24 to get to city centre.

When I lived in Acocks Green, I regularly used the 1 to connect with Hagley Road services heading away from city, in order to avoid travelling into the city centre.
Yes, I suppose not everyone wants to travel into the City Centre.  But a large number/majority of passengers would be.

Quote from: Pat on August 06, 2020, 12:49:49 PM
Yes, I suppose not everyone wants to travel into the City Centre.  But a large number/majority of passengers would be.
Not everyone wants to go to City Centre.
That's why there's busy routes that don't go to City Centre such as 11 and 28.

Also even at the moment with a lot of office workers working from home and schools closed, when I saw 2222 arriving at Five Ways Morrisons the other week it seemed to have a fair number alighting from it (maybe 10 - 15).
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on August 06, 2020, 12:51:40 PM
Not everyone wants to go to City Centre.
That's why there's busy routes that don't go to City Centre such as 11 and 28.
I was referring to routes that actually go to the City Centre.

MW

Quote from: Pat on August 06, 2020, 12:23:39 PM
What are the loadings like on the 1?

During the peaks they can get very busy. Between Edgbaston & Moseley can see standing loads during the PM peak.

It generally is busy during the peaks. Off peaks appears to tick over. Off peak frequency is 50% of peak frequency.

Pat

Quote from: MW on August 06, 2020, 12:55:39 PM
During the peaks they can get very busy. Between Edgbaston & Moseley can see standing loads during the PM peak.

It generally is busy during the peaks. Off peaks appears to tick over. Off peak frequency is 50% of peak frequency.
Oh right.  Didn't think it was that busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk