News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Squiz1971 on November 25, 2017, 02:08:56 PM
So is 4505 saw it around 10:30 Solihull bound
4658 was on the X12 as well.
The driver Parked it up at the Millenium Point, Jennes Road stop towards the City Centre (55/14/94/66 stop) at 15:40 and put its hazards on (blocking part of the road) for quite a while, annoying all the other drivers and making them late, 1824 was about 15 minutes late handing the bus over to the next driver because it was stuck behind 4658 for ages. It later then pulled of going towards Digbeth going back towards Acocks Green Garage.
The driver let the traffic build up for no reason, when he could have gone round the corner and parked 4658 up at the X61 stop where it would have been out of the way.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

John

It seems like there was a fuelling issue last night. Some buses apparently had to go to Yardley Wood for refuelling. It would explain the unusual workings today

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: John on November 25, 2017, 07:07:42 PM
It seems like there was a fuelling issue last night. Some buses apparently had to go to Yardley Wood for refuelling. It would explain the unusual workings today

I was outside AG a few days ago and it's queue of buses was hitting the road, I even saw a few buses queuing up Summer Road.

The current system that NX employs of refuelling a bus when it comes back is good because it ensures when a bus comes back and is parked up, it's ready to go and pretty much do any board (Providing it's suitable for the route). Although during times of almost severe queuing due to a variety of factors, (I'm led to believe PB can be chaotic at times), would it not be better to simply drive a bus in and park it and refuel it during the evening/ night ?
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Jack

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on November 25, 2017, 08:30:59 PM
I was outside AG a few days ago and it's queue of buses was hitting the road, I even saw a few buses queuing up Summer Road.

The current system that NX employs of refuelling a bus when it comes back is good because it ensures when a bus comes back and is parked up, it's ready to go and pretty much do any board (Providing it's suitable for the route). Although during times of almost severe queuing due to a variety of factors, (I'm led to believe PB can be chaotic at times), would it not be better to simply drive a bus in and park it and refuel it during the evening/ night ?
PB is horrendous. Cars drive up the pavements and beep their horns at the stationary buses, no consideration for both bus drivers or pedestrians.

MW

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on November 25, 2017, 08:30:59 PM

Summer Road is regularly full of buses blocking entrances to driveways / houses. Just depends what time you go there. It's not practical to park buses and fuel later. When the garage is full, there's no way you can move buses around willy nilly. There's space for about 7-8 cars inside the garage when it's full, so you can imagine how tight it is compared to the 50 or so cars during the day.

monkeyjoe

Seems a bit odd the 1 won't run on Boxing Day is that a tendered route on sundays then?

MW

Quote from: monkeyjoe on November 28, 2017, 11:13:12 PM
Seems a bit odd the 1 won't run on Boxing Day is that a tendered route on sundays then?

I suppose it's because the main clientele of the 1 are basically school kids and people who work in offices in the Five Ways area. Not really a "shopping" route. People tend to rush to the City Centre on Boxing Day. That's just a guess of course.

Jack

Quote from: MW on November 29, 2017, 01:41:40 AM
I suppose it's because the main clientele of the 1 are basically school kids and people who work in offices in the Five Ways area. Not really a "shopping" route. People tend to rush to the City Centre on Boxing Day. That's just a guess of course.
It's extremely quiet nowadays, back with the Toothpaste Presidents I use to see the 1 have good loads, also is served the Town Hall, but I'm sure it was shortened because of peak traffic on Paradise Circus?

V89MOA

Quote from: Jack on November 29, 2017, 04:08:13 PM
It's extremely quiet nowadays, back with the Toothpaste Presidents I use to see the 1 have good loads, also is served the Town Hall, but I'm sure it was shortened because of peak traffic on Paradise Circus?
The 1 is very well used at peak times.

MW

The 1 is one of those routes that's rammed in peaks, but literally a ghost town at other times. The PVR literally doubles at peaks if I remember correctly. Back when it was run by the branded Plaxton Presidents, you'd see a few of them lying around in the garage during the day. Maybe that's why they scrapped the branding.

Quote from: MW on November 29, 2017, 08:28:01 PM
The 1 is one of those routes that's rammed in peaks, but literally a ghost town at other times. The PVR literally doubles at peaks if I remember correctly. Back when it was run by the branded Plaxton Presidents, you'd see a few of them lying around in the garage during the day. Maybe that's why they scrapped the branding.
In Moesley in the PM peak towards Acocks Green they're fairly busy. But the ones I've been on towards Five Ways have all been empty, from what I saw.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

V89MOA

Quote from: MW on November 29, 2017, 08:28:01 PM
Correct, it is every 10 between Five Ways and Acocks Green at peaks and every 20 during the day, seeing some of the loadings it gets towards the Five Ways end I can understand the logic behind this! I wonder if it will completely die out if they do send it to the Q.E.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on November 29, 2017, 08:31:21 PM
In Moesley in the PM peak towards Acocks Green they're fairly busy. But the ones I've been on towards Five Ways have all been empty, from what I saw.

Yeah, it's the opposite in the AM peak basically.

Maybe they should only run it one way in the morning and the other way in the afternoon 😂

Stu

When I used to live in Acocks Green, on Shirley Road just up from the library, the 1 used to be a useful route for me. If I was in the city centre, I'd get it from the Town Hall or Broad Street, rather than walking all the way to the 37 stop. On Sundays when I go visit my parents, I'd get the 1 to and from Broad Street and change onto the 120 rather than travelling all the way into the city centre. On occasions while travelling home from work, it was sometimes as quick or quicker to get the 5 or 6 to Springfield, the 2 or 3 to Wake Green, or even the 50 to Moseley, and then change onto the 1.
I feel it became less useful for passengers the more it got curtailed (from Town Hall to Sheepcote Street to Five Ways Morrisons), and this was done simply because more running time was needed (due to increasing congestion) but it was not viable enough to put on extra buses. Hence why it got extended from the Acocks Green end instead.
I don't use this route anymore, so can't comment on reliability or passenger loadings, but if enough passengers feel it would be useful to serve the QE and University from Moseley and Acocks Green, if the route needs to change then it should.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Rob H

Quote from: drp123 on November 30, 2017, 08:15:51 AM
4643 YW 76 8.10 kings heath

AG operate an AM Board on the 76 Monday-Friday (76/09) :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk