News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Liberator9 on December 08, 2015, 07:31:40 PM
This is ridicoulous - there's been no problems before so why all of sudden have they (not NX - whoever decides on the bridges!) decided to implement this. Suppose easiest solution would be for AG to have around 10 Scanias from YW and YW have 10 MMCs from AG - would mean both the 5 and 27 are then compliant?

But the MMC's were purchased for the 37, 71/72.

AG is already having to put some of their MMC allocation on the 5 now as well.

Ronnoc

Quote from: Winston on December 08, 2015, 07:28:54 PM
The Scania's have much bigger roof mounted pods making them taller, compared with Eclipse 2's.

NX may now need more new single deckers after all
They've always fitted under that bridge.

Stu

Quote from: Winston on December 08, 2015, 07:28:54 PM
The Scania's have much bigger roof mounted pods making them taller, compared with Eclipse 2's.

NX may now need more new single deckers after all

Or they could just swap some of the Scanias (if not all, to keep things consistent) with other single decks from elsewhere, such as Eclipse 2 B7RLEs from BC?

Or just reroute both routes to avoid the low bridges?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liberator9

Actually the 27 could if necessary be rerouted down Mary Vale Road and join the A441 one street down from Bournville Lane - I know the bridge Mary Vale has goes over the railway, and should be wide enough for a single decker?

That would be an easier solution.

winston

Quote from: Ronnoc on December 08, 2015, 07:34:41 PM
They've always fitted under that bridge.

Edit:

Doesn't matter whether they've always fitted under that bridge, the max vehicle height that can use the bridge can now not be exceeded, meaning they don't fit anymore!

The signage can only have been reduced to allow even more clearance & reduce risk of a bridge strike further, it's probably boils down to new Health & Safety rulings & may have been imposed by Network Rail

Tony

Quote from: Winston on December 08, 2015, 07:41:46 PM
Doesn't matter whether they've always fitted under that bridge, the max vehicle height that can use the bridge has now been reduced, meaning they don't fit anymore!

The height can only have been reduced to allow even more clearance & reduce risk of a bridge strike further, it's probably boils down to new Health & Safety rulings & may have been imposed by Network Rail

The height in the signs hasn't changed, but when a height is in a triangular sign it is only advisory, so you are not committing a road traffic offence by driving through if you don't hit it. When it is in a circle you are then committing an offence if the vehicle is taller than that given in the road sign

Cheese

Quote from: Liberator9 on December 08, 2015, 07:39:11 PM
Actually the 27 could if necessary be rerouted down Mary Vale Road and join the A441 one street down from Bournville Lane - I know the bridge Mary Vale has goes over the railway, and should be wide enough for a single decker?

Tridents have been used on the 27 in the past, happened once or twice, and were rerouted along Mary Vale Road, can remember seeing one a few years ago when walking home from Bournville station.  Have also been over that bridge on a diverted 45 when the Pershore Road was shut for resurfacing between Stirchley and Cotteridge.

D10

Quote from: Liberator9 on December 08, 2015, 07:39:11 PM

Expect plenty of complaints from Mary Vale residents if all the 27's get diverted down there disturbing their peace and quiet. At the moment only the 38 goes down there not every often!  ;D

BK63 YWP

Could the mmc's that currently branded for 37 be rebranded for the 5 and the Gemini coming back in crimson be branded for the 37?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Ronnoc

Quote from: Chris on December 08, 2015, 08:44:53 PM
Could the mmc's that currently branded for 37 be rebranded for the 5 and the Gemini coming back in crimson be branded for the 37?
That'd kinda be a downgrade for one and an upgrade for one.

Stu

Thinking outside the box here, so please feel free to shoot me down as I'm not a civil engineer, but would it be feasible to lower the road (by digging away and resurfacing) even by a few inches under these bridges? Or is that a crazy expensive idea (even by BCC standards)?
My locals:

Liberator9

Quote from: Cheese on December 08, 2015, 08:30:09 PM
Tridents have been used on the 27 in the past, happened once or twice, and were rerouted along Mary Vale Road, can remember seeing one a few years ago when walking home from Bournville station.  Have also been over that bridge on a diverted 45 when the Pershore Road was shut for resurfacing between Stirchley and Cotteridge.

Ahh right - didn't know that - so Scanias could be put down there if required.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on December 08, 2015, 08:46:39 PM
Thinking outside the box here, so please feel free to shoot me down as I'm not a civil engineer, but would it be feasible to lower the road (by digging away and resurfacing) even by a few inches under these bridges? Or is that a crazy expensive idea (even by BCC standards)?

A far easier solution would be for bridges to actually be labelled at their real clearance

Dom

Quote from: Tony on December 08, 2015, 08:56:14 PM
A far easier solution would be for bridges to actually be labelled at their real clearance

Yes, but @Tony we live in the UK

Stu

Quote from: Tony on December 08, 2015, 08:56:14 PM

Very true, as has been suggested already maybe Network Rail are covering their arses, so to speak, in the eventuality that some prat does come a cropper by driving underneath when they clearly shouldn't.
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk