News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Liberator9 on June 30, 2015, 12:47:55 PM
True actually - suppose most bus types have teething issues at the start. Scanias had issues with the doors a fair bit - certainly in the first few weeks of service the doors would randomly open/close and took some getting used to operating them. Citaros are quality vehicles - best on the market - ridden on them as a passenger on the 82 in Solihull and they are excellent. Drivers like them as well - good spacious cab and have good acceleration. Barely rattle as well due to the quality of materials.

I'm sure Simon could probably tell you of some horror stories of Citaros as well, and their 'Quality materials'

Liberator9

Already heard some - still heard they're good to drive however and when looked after well perform well (e.g Go Ahead in Oxford). They still beat the poor quality Optares - had black smoke come pouring into one of the SRs a few months back, interior still blackened towards the rear (MFY I think).

Squiz1971

Quote from: Tony on June 29, 2015, 06:21:55 PM
It is causing a couple of annoyances more than problems, as I have put on another thread there is actually no rush to get the remaining  hit list vehicles off the road at the moment.
Good job really as the issues with the E200MMC's I would assume are not exactly doing ADL any favours with NXWM at the moment.

Tiptonian

According to the brochures, while the suspension on the front of the E200MMC is new,  the axle itself is the same as in the old E200, so I wonder why the difficulty? I know it sounds harsh, but surely this is too fundamental to be called a teething problem.

Stu

Quote from: Squiz1971 on June 30, 2015, 02:42:25 PM
Good job really as the issues with the E200MMC's I would assume are not exactly doing ADL any favours with NXWM at the moment.

It's obviously good kudos for NX to be the first operator in the country to have these buses in service, but as already mentioned being an 'early-adopter' of anything new you get stuck with the 'teething issues'.

It was the same case when I used to be involved with computer hardware; the latest technology would hit the market, and the 'early-adopters' who bought brand new graphics cards and motherboards, as well as some software, would suffer the same teething issues, and would wait patiently for patches and updates before the technology 'matured'. Meanwhile, the people who waited around six months before upgrading, usually had no hiccups left to endure.  8)

Back in our reality, other operators who are waiting until later this year, or the next, to purchase E200MMCs will be satisfied that by the time theirs roll off the production line, the beta testing will be finished.  ;)

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stevo

I remember when the Presidents came onto the 37 in Jan 2000 - they were awful. They would just stop for no reason - electronics, I presume. Coolant leaked from the ceiling onto the rear wheel arches or the passengers, the air systems made a constant whining sound, and one BC one I was on belched out steam from the back -  coolant leaking onto the exhaust pipe. The design was rushed, though, as Volvo had wanted to use the B7L with in-line rear engine for double deckers and had to change at the last moment.

We've been given loads of guff by ADL as to how with the MMC vehicles customers were involved with the design. Perhaps they forgot to ask the customers how tight they wanted the kingpins.

MW

2203 and another now parked in front of A/B bay in garage so almost definitely should be out tomorrow (as they'll block at least 25 buses in otherwise lol.

Also another has gained 37 branding. Simple yet informative branding it seems. Same colour as 'The One' on the Metrobuses.

Stevo

I'll be waiting for a ride!

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on June 30, 2015, 07:06:51 PM
It's obviously good kudos for NX to be the first operator in the country to have these buses in service, but as already mentioned being an 'early-adopter' of anything new you get stuck with the 'teething issues'.

It was the same case when I used to be involved with computer hardware; the latest technology would hit the market, and the 'early-adopters' who bought brand new graphics cards and motherboards, as well as some software, would suffer the same teething issues, and would wait patiently for patches and updates before the technology 'matured'. Meanwhile, the people who waited around six months before upgrading, usually had no hiccups left to endure.  8)

Back in our reality, other operators who are waiting until later this year, or the next, to purchase E200MMCs will be satisfied that by the time theirs roll off the production line, the beta testing will be finished.  ;)

Yes, but were they not originally returned to ADL for poor build quality, surely something like that should be picked up when they are inspected prior to leaving the factory.

You would have thought that ADL would have wanted to make sure the first production MMCs were in an excellent condition, after all, quite a number of other bus companies are probably watching before they place orders.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

MW

Quote from: Stevo on June 30, 2015, 07:17:08 PM
I'll be waiting for a ride!

Unless of course they break down. Also I said almost definitely so please don't count on it. Tony may know for sure.

Tony

Quote from: MW on June 30, 2015, 07:14:27 PM
2203 and another now parked in front of A/B bay in garage so almost definitely should be out tomorrow (as they'll block at least 25 buses in otherwise lol.

Also another has gained 37 branding. Simple yet informative branding it seems. Same colour as 'The One' on the Metrobuses.

I would be surprised is 2203/4 come out, they have stop start technology which apparantly drivers need teaching in.

MW

Quote from: Stu on June 30, 2015, 07:06:51 PM

@Stu, did you catch the 37 not long ago today from Sparkbrook to Acocks Green? If so what bus was it. I was driving 4639, which had virtually no power.

Stu

Quote from: MW on June 30, 2015, 07:20:38 PM
@Stu, did you catch the 37 not long ago today from Sparkbrook to Acocks Green? If so what bus was it. I was driving 4639, which had virtually no power.

I think it was 4639 actually - sorry if I didn't recognise you! - the journey home did seem as if the bus was struggling, as passengers were being jerked around everywhere! At the lights at the Highgate Road junction, the cooling fans increased as if the bus was being revved, but it took a few seconds before the bus jerked away. (I got on at Auckland Road, was wearing brown shorts, blue t-shirt and shades, if you recall me!)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on June 30, 2015, 07:45:31 PM
I think it was 4639 actually - sorry if I didn't recognise you! - the journey home did seem as if the bus was struggling, as passengers were being jerked around everywhere! At the lights at the Highgate Road junction, the cooling fans increased as if the bus was being revved, but it took a few seconds before the bus jerked away. (I got on at Auckland Road, was wearing brown shorts, blue t-shirt and shades, if you recall me!)

Yeah it was me driving,

It's because I was revving to approx 1200rpm and then releasing the handbrake on inclines and slightly less rpm on flat surfaces. Camp Hill roundabout was a nightmare. Something definitely wrong with that bus!

JIM H

2204 up & down Fox Hollies Road 'Not in service' at 10.15

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk