News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Mike K on June 29, 2015, 08:38:35 PM
I am certainly no expert on such matters but what was the rationale for dual sourcing DDs a few years back when NX was buying both Tridents and B7TLs? Was that a strategic decision or was it that one manufacturer couldn't supply the volumes required? I guess it only really lasted from 2001 to 2006 and Wright / Volvo fell out of favour for DDs (coinciding with the B9TL replacing the B7TL).

Dual sourcing isn't, and as far as possible the two types were kept at different garages to reduce spares stocking, but multiple types is another matter altogether

Eric Shaw

I think it sensible of NX to opt for E400 double deckers as the Volvo B5 and Wright Streetdeck only have 5 litre, 4 cylinder engines and going too small with the engine has not generally been successful. The Leyland Tiger Cub, Bristol, with the Gardner 4LK and more recently the Volvo B6 were not popular. Reading these columns some drivers prefer the Trident to the E400 as it has the bigger Cummins engine.

Bryan

Quote from: Eric Shaw on June 29, 2015, 08:49:46 PM
I think it sensible of NX to opt for E400 double deckers as the Volvo B5 and Wright Streetdeck only have 5 litre, 4 cylinder engines and going too small with the engine has not generally been successful. The Leyland Tiger Cub, Bristol, with the Gardner 4LK and more recently the Volvo B6 were not popular. Reading these columns some drivers prefer the Trident to the E400 as it has the bigger Cummins engine.

Engine technology has gone in leaps and bounds since the era mentioned and are not comparable.

Tony

Quote from: Eric Shaw on June 29, 2015, 08:49:46 PM

The engine in the Volvo B5 is rated at 320-340bhp
The engine in the Volvo B9 is rated at 300-320bhp

The Wrights body on a B5 is also lighter than that on a B9

I think you will find it is nothing to do with engine size as I keep saying, it is all to do with gearbox mappping to get the best fuel efficiency

John

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 29, 2015, 07:03:10 PM
I wonder if any other companies are having problems with the MMCs or is it just NE?

The NX Enviro200MMC batch are the first production buses aren't they?

Tony

Quote from: John on June 29, 2015, 09:09:53 PM
The NX Enviro200MMC batch are the first production buses aren't they?

They are, One of the London companies was due to put some on the road this week, but I don't think they have them yet

Stevo

Quote from: Tony on June 29, 2015, 09:04:01 PM
The engine in the Volvo B5 is rated at 320-340bhp
The engine in the Volvo B9 is rated at 300-320bhp

The Wrights body on a B5 is also lighter than that on a B9

I think you will find it is nothing to do with engine size as I keep saying, it is all to do with gearbox mappping to get the best fuel efficiency
The B5TL is only 240 bhp which is why it struggles a bit on the steep hills out of Eastbourne with Brighton and Hove. But as you say suitable engine mapping would mean it's quite adequate for reasonably flat terrain.

Mike K

Quote from: Stevo on June 29, 2015, 09:30:26 PM
The B5TL is only 240 bhp which is why it struggles a bit on the steep hills out of Eastbourne with Brighton and Hove. But as you say suitable engine mapping would mean it's quite adequate for reasonably flat terrain.

Aren't the Brighton ones Daimler engined Streetdecks rather than B5TLs? Mind you, the engine in those is apparently only 231 bhp. I'd hoped, before 'the deal' was signed, that AG and WB might be the recipients of some new Wrightbus DDs.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on June 29, 2015, 09:12:48 PM
They are, One of the London companies was due to put some on the road this week, but I don't think they have them yet

That could be Stagecoach London from Romford garge for the 499, however planned introduction has been put back to August.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stevo

Sorry - of course the Brighton ones are Streetdecks. The engine is about the same size as the B5TLs, though. I would have preferred that NXWM would have dual-sourced and we'd have Wrightbus and ADL products.

MW

Couple of Alexander Dennis vans in the depot today, along with a third unidentifiable white van and a TWM logo'd Transit.

Also the Health Bus, and a Mansfield Truck with a Scania on the back of it,

Two Plaxton breakdowns this morning too.

Liberator9

Sounds a busy morning there - let's hope ADL are sorting out the kingpins in that case!

This is nothing new the ADL ENVIRO 200 MMC is a brand new design of bus you going to get teething problems, when the mercs were introduced to hockley garage during the summer of 99 it had more than its fair share of issues, the back window was nightmare it's now on its third type, 2 opening exits were tried and failed then they bonded the glass to the body and fitted glass hammers which members of the public liked stealing, coolant leaking, countless electrical gremlins, plenty of break downs as well. For Mercedes product they were awfull to be honest ,mind you back then Mercedes  were in cost cutting era not the case today I hear citaros are simply awesome buses. The PLAXTON VOLVOS suffered issues when new as well.

I read somewhere the engine fitted to the new VOLVO B5TL is a NISSAN unit the power figures quoted quite an achievement over the B9TL. Volvo really messed up introducing B9TLto the double deck market they should have carried on developing the B7TL, just may be if they did we would have more Volvo DD in the fleet. I also hear B9TL heavy on the juice as well?  is it any faster than the B7TL?
I,ll never know unless ARRIVA Tamworth feel generous enough to allow me to trash one  of there's about to compare,  wishful thinking.

Liberator9

True actually - suppose most bus types have teething issues at the start. Scanias had issues with the doors a fair bit - certainly in the first few weeks of service the doors would randomly open/close and took some getting used to operating them. Citaros are quality vehicles - best on the market - ridden on them as a passenger on the 82 in Solihull and they are excellent. Drivers like them as well - good spacious cab and have good acceleration. Barely rattle as well due to the quality of materials.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk