News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Coventry Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPC

Yeah, Midland Red South "Metro" introduced a service T to Rowley Drive around 1993 then added a variant service R (peak direct journeys) some time later. The T initially covered The Mount, Abbey Road, Middle Ride and Yarningale Rd.  Chace and Stonehouse were added to the route at a later stage. (Was the T and R subsidised in any part?)

Before service T Rowley Drive had a 9B service ran by Vanguard (a company also mopped up by Stagecoach) running via Hillfields, Binley Road, Ernesford Grange and Chace Ave, shorter service 9 journeys terminated at Chace Ave.
Services 9/9B and T "rubbed shoulders" for a while around 1993/4 but Chace was seemingly added to service T when the 9/9B was dropped and Stonehouse Estate got a new bus service.

The T and R may have lasted into Stagecoach days briefly, but ended up being morphed into supported service A1 then 11 then 3A then 27 ;)

EDIT:
The outcome of this is rather disappointing considering the idea I had (no grudge against Stagecoach).

Stagecoach service X16 (renumbered from 16) is now confirmed as being extended to Toll Bar End Willenhall (seemingly not serving Toll Bar End) to replace the 27 creating a direct link to Corporation St and Warwick Road so... it's nearly as good as I had hoped for. :)
And finally... potential confusion for London Road where journeys towards Stratford will be heading towards Coventry. ;)

John

Quote from: JoNi on April 03, 2014, 07:59:35 AM
If it doesn't break down 1553 is in service with sky blue front working journeys from city 09:04 18A, 10:24 18,  11:34 18A, 12:54 18

Managed to find it back in its hometown -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/john-s-91/13912322473/

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on April 14, 2014, 11:56:19 PM
Yeah, Midland Red South "Metro" introduced a service T to Rowley Drive around 1993 then added a variant service R (peak direct journeys) some time later. The T initially covered The Mount, Abbey Road, Middle Ride and Yarningale Rd.  Chace and Stonehouse were added to the route at a later stage. (Was the T and R subsidised in any part?)

Before service T Rowley Drive had a 9B service ran by Vanguard (a company also mopped up by Stagecoach) running via Hillfields, Binley Road, Ernesford Grange and Chace Ave, shorter service 9 journeys terminated at Chace Ave.
Services 9/9B and T "rubbed shoulders" for a while around 1993/4 but Chace was seemingly added to service T when the 9/9B was dropped and Stonehouse Estate got a new bus service.

The T and R may have lasted into Stagecoach days briefly, but ended up being morphed into supported service A1 then 11 then 3A then 27 ;)

EDIT:
The outcome of this is rather disappointing considering the idea I had (no grudge against Stagecoach).

Stagecoach service X16 (renumbered from 16) is now confirmed as being extended to Toll Bar End Willenhall (seemingly not serving Toll Bar End) to replace the 27 creating a direct link to Corporation St and Warwick Road so... it's nearly as good as I had hoped for. :)
And finally... potential confusion for London Road where journeys towards Stratford will be heading towards Coventry. ;)

First thing to mention - that re-numbering ends the two different service 16's in Coventry, which I suppose is a minor plus point. Stagecoach will run (in Coventry) the following service numbers: 17b, 48/X48, 55/55a, 56, 57, 86, Unibus U1/U2/U12/U17, X15, X16, X17, 18A/X18 & X19. The Stagecoach website doesn't seem to mention the occasional service 17b - but does include an 'X14' (which I don't think exists currently?!)

That diverted X16 [was 16] will head outbound along the London Rd, but as you say once in traverses Willenhall will head 'inbound' for a distance until it reaches the Whitley roundabout, then resume its normal route. This service will still continue to cover parts of Whitley and the likes of Middle Ride in Willenhall etc, as per the current 27? - if so people catching the bus will have to take extra care! (with journeys to Stratford & from Stratford etc available).

EDIT:
It is the X15/X18/X19 group which currently run along the London Road passing Whitley Village (not the current 16 which uses Warwick Road, Kenilworth Road and so on). It is definitely the 16 which is to be diverted?

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on April 18, 2014, 10:44:55 AM
First thing to mention - that re-numbering ends the two different service 16's in Coventry, which I suppose is a minor plus point. Stagecoach will run (in Coventry) the following service numbers: 17b, 48/X48, 55/55a, 56, 57, 86, Unibus U1/U2/U12/U17, X15, X16, X17, 18A/X18 & X19. The Stagecoach website doesn't seem to mention the occasional service 17b - but does include an 'X14' (which I don't think exists currently?!)

That diverted X16 [was 16] will head outbound along the London Rd, but as you say once in traverses Willenhall will head 'inbound' for a distance until it reaches the Whitley roundabout, then resume its normal route. This service will still continue to cover parts of Whitley and the likes of Middle Ride in Willenhall etc, as per the current 27? - if so people catching the bus will have to take extra care! (with journeys to Stratford & from Stratford etc available).

EDIT:
It is the X15/X18/X19 group which currently run along the London Road passing Whitley Village (not the current 16 which uses Warwick Road, Kenilworth Road and so on). It is definitely the 16 which is to be diverted?
The X14 is a Warwickshire College variant journey, serving Tile Hill, Eastern Green, Holyhead Rd and City Centre - usually a double decker Enviro.

The X16 extends beyond Coventry to Willenhall.

(an overwhelmingly complicated two-piece timetable if you ask me ::))

A bit of give and taking allows a reasonable overall service improvement under existing resources...
-The 16 short journeys (City-Kenilworth) are axed in favour of extending the route to Willenhall.
-The 86 short journeys (City-Binley) are axed in favour of extending the route to Kenilworth including an enhanced service for the Dudley Rd/Oaks Rd area in Kenilworth, this replaces nearly all X19 journeys to allow/enhance the X17 to every 15 mins.

Valandil

Quote from: paulb1973 on April 18, 2014, 10:44:55 AMFirst thing to mention - that re-numbering ends the two different service 16's in Coventry, which I suppose is a minor plus point. Stagecoach will run (in Coventry) the following service numbers: 17b, 48/X48, 55/55a, 56, 57, 86, Unibus U1/U2/U12/U17, X15, X16, X17, 18A/X18 & X19. The Stagecoach website doesn't seem to mention the occasional service 17b - but does include an 'X14' (which I don't think exists currently?!)

EDIT:

The 17b timetable doesn't seem to be under the location 'Coventry', but can still be found under 'Nuneaton'.
I once caught the 17b and got a thorough interrogation from the driver about half-way through the route: he didn't seem best pleased that I intended to travel all the way to Coventry using that service :(

I'm not sure, but think we probably ought to move this discussion to the Stagecoach thread, since we're straying quite far from NXC!

paulb1973

Quote from: Valandil on April 18, 2014, 04:35:54 PM
Quote from: paulb1973 on April 18, 2014, 10:44:55 AMFirst thing to mention - that re-numbering ends the two different service 16's in Coventry, which I suppose is a minor plus point. Stagecoach will run (in Coventry) the following service numbers: 17b, 48/X48, 55/55a, 56, 57, 86, Unibus U1/U2/U12/U17, X15, X16, X17, 18A/X18 & X19. The Stagecoach website doesn't seem to mention the occasional service 17b - but does include an 'X14' (which I don't think exists currently?!)

EDIT:

The 17b timetable doesn't seem to be under the location 'Coventry', but can still be found under 'Nuneaton'.
I once caught the 17b and got a thorough interrogation from the driver about half-way through the route: he didn't seem best pleased that I intended to travel all the way to Coventry using that service :(

I'm not sure, but think we probably ought to move this discussion to the Stagecoach thread, since we're straying quite far from NXC!

Yes, found the 17b there. That X16 timetable is rather complex in layout and point taken re. Stagecoach on this topic area! 

Ben

Back to NXC...
This evening I had the pleasure of an empty (I was the only passenger) bus ride from near University Hospital to the City Centre on service 1.
I'm not sure where this short working (Not E suffixed though) was supposed to terminate, but I alighted on Cox Street. -The Driver used the "City, Pool Meadow" blind, but I knew to take that with a pinch of salt.

I Just wanted to share this. The 1 is a service which is often forgotten about.

JoNi

Shelters have started to be erected in Trinity Street.......By digging up the newly laid pavement!!

paulb1973

Quote from: JoNi on April 24, 2014, 11:33:13 AM
Shelters have started to be erected in Trinity Street.......By digging up the newly laid pavement!!

I'll have a wander tomorrow - but I suppose they are of the standard NWM/Centro silver (or blue) design. Nothing too fancy I suspect!

JoNi

One has been erected half way up Trinity Street.
Open towards street with full width protection at Broadgate end and half width at Pool Meadow end. Roof was being put in this afternoon.

JoNi

Three shelters now erected in Trinity Street. One has one of those small RTI screens placed by it high up making it unreadable to anyone in the shelter.
One stop lost to taxi pick up point.
Parking sign by bus stop in Fairfax Street increased from two to nine taxis.
All NXC buses still operating from same stops.

Valandil

Am I right in saying that some NXC timetables changed either today or yesterday?
I'm sure that I saw some changes on the Network West Midlands site, but nowhere else.
I am a bit tied for time right now, so am unable to leaf through and compare timetables time by time.
Would much appreciate it if anyone knows.

JoNi

Valandil the 27 is withdrawn with revised 27A see attached file.
No new where to catch your bus in the City Centre posters have gone up.

Valandil

Quote from: JoNi on April 28, 2014, 07:27:59 PM
27 withdrawn with revised 27A see attached file.

Oops, sorry, I should have been a little more specific.
I am aware of the 27(A) changes, but I remember seeing changes to NXC's 16(A) (quite separate from Stagecoach's changes to 16/X16).

JPC

Quote from: Valandil on April 28, 2014, 06:41:43 PM
Am I right in saying that some NXC timetables changed either today or yesterday?
I'm sure that I saw some changes on the Network West Midlands site, but nowhere else.
I am a bit tied for time right now, so am unable to leaf through and compare timetables time by time.
Would much appreciate it if anyone knows.

Supposedly the 6/6A, 13/13A, 16/16A and 21 were due amended timetables, I imagine they are very minor timing point tweaks where average Joe passenger wouldn't notice hence a lack of announcement on these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk