News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Liverpool Street on July 21, 2016, 12:09:44 AM
Of course
Wheel forward increases the wheelbase so causing a larger turning circle
On the 636 it ll be mayham

No, the largest WF Streetlites (max 37 seating capacity) are only 9.5M long, where as BC's E200's are 10.8M long.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Winston on July 21, 2016, 12:16:49 AM
No, the largest WF Streetlites (max 37 seating capacity) are only 9.5M long, where as BC's E200's are 10.8M long.

Apologies
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

The Real 4778

Quote from: Winston on July 21, 2016, 12:16:49 AM

Is that length over bodywork, or wheelbase though?
Don't you start.

winston

Jack6101

There was a silver streetlite not in service in harbourn around 11ish can anyone confirm if it's the bc loan one
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

The Real 4778

Quote from: Winston on July 21, 2016, 01:17:57 PM
Total length

Doing some rough maths then, if a door portal/ assembly is approx 1.4m wide, then door forward configuration knocks your steered wheels back by a similar amount, making the wheelbase, and therefore manoeuvrability, roughly equivalent on the two designs. 
Don't you start.

winston

Quote from: The Real 4778 on July 21, 2016, 02:01:29 PM
Doing some rough maths then, if a door portal/ assembly is approx 1.4m wide, then door forward configuration knocks your steered wheels back by a similar amount, making the wheelbase, and therefore manoeuvrability, roughly equivalent on the two designs.

But you've still got 1.4M less bus to contend with in front of your wheels

Liverpool Street

Quote from: The Real 4778 on July 21, 2016, 02:01:29 PM

I wish I could write posts like this
This is quality material
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

The Real 4778

Quote from: Winston on July 21, 2016, 02:03:35 PM
But you've still got 1.4M less bus to contend with in front of your wheels

Indeed - it struck me that if the turning circle is effectively the same on both then the wheels-forward design would be more driver-friendly because of easier attack into tight corners.
Don't you start.

The Real 4778

Quote from: Liverpool Street on July 21, 2016, 02:12:07 PM
I wish I could write posts like this
This is quality material

LOLLARC - I can't stop myself - when vehicle/ fleet* consulting is the day job my mind has to go into enquiring/ problem solving mode!!!

* - trains though, I know next to nowt about buses
Don't you start.

Matt.N0056

Quote from: The Real 4778 on July 21, 2016, 02:25:09 PM
Indeed - it struck me that if the turning circle is effectively the same on both then the wheels-forward design would be more driver-friendly because of easier attack into tight corners.

The steering lock on the WF streetlites is crap though, unless they have improved it on newer models

Trident 4194

Dylanbusboy45

5503 is on the 61/63 today. Seen at 15:28 on Moor St heading towards Frankley

andy41

Anyone who thinks the WF 9.5m Streetlite is more driver friendly or manoeuvrable seriously needs to get a licence and get in one. They are truly hideous machines in every respect,

Zero turning circle and steering lock, virtually no power steering, too low slung giving a dreadful ride, terrible suspension and shock absorption particularly on the front axle, no power due to being far too heavy for the kit in them, dreadful brakes and in my case what seemed like only a 3 speed box with no selector, meaning you are its mercy.

If you manage to escape from the cab with your life, turn to your left and marvel at how they astonishingly crammed 37 'seats' in. If you manage to fit into a seat without removing your knee caps and putting them in your pocket, you will find yourself in a very perilous situation, akin to that moment when you're sat in a deck chair that's trying to fold itself up with you in it, only less comfortable. Fine for taking oompa loompas to work, not much use for anything else.

I wouldn't deliver milk in it.

markcf83

Streetlites are shocking buses. Underpowered and very sluggish when pulling away from stops. First have them in the neighbouring fleets that are either side of me in South Wales.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk