News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Xplore Dundee

Started by winston, February 13, 2013, 10:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM C

Seen 1774 today all converted into a trainer.1775 being done in workshop.

DJ

I've noticed that Dundee are still using all caps for the destination displays, even on the new Emerald buses. I've been told by a friend from Uno that their Northampton operations had to change theirs or else they would be fined, does this rule not apply in Scotland or is it only a matter of time before they have to be changed?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

ross4122

It does apply, and there's been various comments about it, but they don't seem to take note.

JIM C

Surely it makes it easier to read, the partial sighted people.

ross4122

Quote from: JIM C on December 18, 2018, 12:18:20 PM
Surely it makes it easier to read, the partial sighted people.
Perhaps, but rules are rules:

QuoteRoute Numbers

Route number means any combination of numbers and letters that designate a bus route.
Route number characters should be a minimum of 200mm high for the front and rear displays, and a minimum of 70mm high for a side display.
A route number display must be capable of displaying at least 3 characters.
Route numbers must contrast with the background and have a display that is capable of being illuminated.
Destination Information

Destination means a word or words that describe a bus route or final destination.
Destination information characters should be a minimum of 125mm high for the front display, and a minimum of 70mm high for a side display.
Destination information must be written in a combination of upper and lower case characters and not all in capitals. The character heights specified above refer to the height of the initial capital letter that starts a destination.
A destination information display must be capable of displaying at least 15 characters.
Destination information must contrast with the background and have a display that is capable of being illuminated.
http://www.bus-blinds.com/index.php/dda-compliance

Perhaps this will be brought up at the public inquiry next year.

DavieDD2

"Destination information must be written in a combination of upper and lower case characters and not all in capitals. The character heights specified above refer to the height of the initial capital letter that starts a destination."

If this is to be taken literally, then XD's displays are fine and not in any breech of the rules as only the main destination is in capitals, e.g. "NINEWELLS", where as the via information is in lower case, e.g. "via City Centre, Blackness Road"... etc, the 2 elements of the display give the required combination of upper and lower case print as set out in the terms posted by Ross.

ross4122

"Destination means a word or words that describe a bus route or final destination."

Via points do not describe the final destination, but do describe the bus route, so it does seem a  little controversial...

Tony

Aren't those only in the advisory section?

JIM C

Still no mention of Dundees emeralds on the fleet news.

winston

Quote from: JIM C on December 28, 2018, 12:58:12 AM
Still no mention of Dundees emeralds on the fleet news.

@JIM C - they're all listed on the December fleet changes on the main site as entering service.

JIM C

1366,7067, 7151,Have all been disposed of. 1774,1775,now full time training buses. Still in green but route branding stripped off,

Tony

Quote from: JIM C on January 05, 2019, 12:20:58 PM
1366,7067, 7151,Have all been disposed of. 1774,1775,now full time training buses. Still in green but route branding stripped off,

1776 is also allocated to the training fleet

I love Walsall buses

Here is a picture of 1774 *credit to Stefan*

Michael Bevan

I've received a message from a friend of mine stating that either 111 or 112 will be leaving Dundee tomorrow to head down to Walsall.

winston

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk