News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NX Hybrid 2014

Started by Daniel541, January 16, 2013, 01:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel541

Coventry garage could getting some new hybrid buses next year.

I have good suggest:- Former 32/33 should back on the service and Hybrid buses could on former 32/33 route that is most popular from Tanyard Farm/ Tile Hill North to Potters Green/ Bell Green and 32/33 should be Every 7-8min along to Ansty Road. Hybrid Buses would be the best place on 32/33 route!

Ash

If hybrids were to come to Coventry my guess will be they would be used on the 13 and the gemini's either transferred to NXWM or used on other services to replace older tridents and alx400.

MW

Never been on a Cov Gemini, I imagine that they're slow compared to WM ones, although ours are slow too, but pick up would be better I imagine.

Kevin

Quote from: Michael on January 17, 2013, 09:53:41 PM
Never been on a Cov Gemini, I imagine that they're slow compared to WM ones, although ours are slow too, but pick up would be better I imagine.

Seemed much the same when i went on one
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Gareth

Why would they be slower?!?

Sh4318

Quote from: Kevin on January 17, 2013, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: Michael on January 17, 2013, 09:53:41 PM

Seemed much the same when i went on one

I think the only difference isn the gearbox, their Geminis are Voith while ours are ZF, also their ALX B7s are ZF and ours are Voith
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

ilovetea4370

Yeah basically they sound like our ALX400 B7's and have Voith gearboxes (and happen to be my fave gems in the fleet)! They're still B7TL's so I'd imagine mechanically and performance-wise they are near enough the same as ours. They don't seem noticeably slower though, to me they seem exactly the same as ZF.

Would certainly be interesting to see Hybrids in Coventry but that would probably depend on securing some funding first!

MW

Quote from: Gareth on January 17, 2013, 10:42:32 PM

Think about the difference between the first bath of Tridents and the last.

This first pick up a lot slower because of less gears so the revs are very low on each gear change thus slower pickup. The last Tridents, particular the 44** batch, are quicker to pick up.

bwsau cymru

gearbox's seem to be quite a big thing, look at the Volvo I-shift they make the Volvos just useless! plus the complete terrible joke of a gear box on most older optares!!!
campaigning for better transport for all

Discodave

Quote from: dannygill on January 18, 2013, 02:30:57 PM
gearbox's seem to be quite a big thing, look at the Volvo I-shift they make the Volvos just useless! plus the complete terrible joke of a gear box on most older optares!!!

Really I shifts are good on trucks actually the best on the market must be a maintence thing (in house fitters have no clue how to fix them)

Tony

Quote from: Michael on January 18, 2013, 02:05:03 PM

This first pick up a lot slower because of less gears so the revs are very low on each gear change thus slower pickup. The last Tridents, particular the 44** batch, are quicker to pick up.

None of that is correct

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2013, 03:48:22 PM
Quote from: Michael on January 18, 2013, 02:05:03 PM

None of that is correct

If anything from my experience of WN's Tridents the Y, 51,52 Reg's feel quicker to pick up than the later ones

MW

None of that is correct

All of it's correct actually.

The ZF Tridents will have shorter ratios on the gearbox, so all the gears are closer together thus giving higher acceleration thus giving quick pickup.

The Voith Tridents will have longer gear ratios, so it stays in the gears longer, due to them only having 3 or 4 gears. This means they take longer to redline (get to the highest revs possible).

Edit: Having said that, when revving lower, Voith Tridents will be in the prime, with regards to the torque produced so that does balance things more.

Quote from: Michael on January 19, 2013, 01:31:31 AM

None of that is correct

The ZF Tridents will have shorter ratios on the gearbox, so all the gears are closer together thus giving higher acceleration thus giving quick pickup.

The Voith Tridents will have longer gear ratios, so it stays in the gears longer, due to them only having 3 or 4 gears. This means they take longer to redline (get to the highest revs possible).

Edit: Having said that, when revving lower, Voith Tridents will be in the prime, with regards to the torque produced so that does balance things more.
Isn't the idea to provide a safe comfortable journey for passengers, not 'Redlining' the b***h?
Fuel economy?
Wear & tear?

Just kidding....they are all slow!!!!!!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Tony

Quote from: Michael on January 19, 2013, 01:31:31 AM

None of that is correct

And it all depends on how they are set up, what revs they change etc. Engine management systems are clever things. So no, it wasn't all correct

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk