News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Fare rise and ticket changes July 2023

Started by Ginger66, June 18, 2023, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Westy on February 21, 2024, 09:18:03 PMJust had a thought while I was in the shower.

We have a few drivers on here, but I suspect their duties don't involve out of county services, else we might have had an answer by now.

(Example being @karl724223, as I don't think Pensnett have any out of WM county duties?)

I think it's rare @Tony drives a bus in service & I don't recall him mentioning doing any driving in service since the fare / pass changes.

There is one other driver, known to some of us, that might have a partial answer, admittedly not a member on here.

He drives a route that operates both in & out of the WM county, that being the X3 to Lichfield(which he has mentioned on his own blog, so I'm not breaking any privacy rules AFAIK!), answer being Mark Fitchew.

Do Nx's INIT machines somehow adjust the ticket availability with GPS, as I've wondered, when you had the old local area tickets, how did the driver issue the correct ticket, especially when you had a few crossover areas, for example both the Walsall & Sandwell tickets were valid between J9 & Wednesbury Bus Station, how did you make sure if you were getting on in that section towards Walsall, you got a Walsall ticket & not a Sandwell ticket?

I was thinking something similar operates on the X3, X51, 8 & 20(both WM & Coventry versions!).

We follow each other on X, so I could ask him, if he knows/what he issues, if that's ok with the mods?

There's a Daysaver menu with all the relevant Day tickets. GPS/Automatic Fare Stage allows for correct tickets to be available for the driver to choose. It's quite simple. 

Ticketer does the same thing.

You can also have "time based" tickets such as the pre-930AM Concs, which cannot be issued after 930.

Westy

Quote from: MW on February 21, 2024, 11:11:38 PMThere's a Daysaver menu with all the relevant Day tickets. GPS/Automatic Fare Stage allows for correct tickets to be available for the driver to choose. It's quite simple.

Ticketer does the same thing.

You can also have "time based" tickets such as the pre-930AM Concs, which cannot be issued after 930.
So, in the example quoted by @BlackCountryBusSpotter , could the machine be overridden, for example, I've done this in the past with the old Black Country Faresaver, if I needed to get from Bilston to Walsall, but I missed a 34 or 39, but knew I could get a 79 to Darlo & change to another bus there, the Wolves 79 could only issue the Sandwell ticket, as it goes into Sandwell afterwards?

What about the 11/11a then I wonder?

Rachvince53

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on February 21, 2024, 10:55:49 PMI once caught a 79 and asked for my usual Adult Daysaver at the time £4.00 we were in Darlaston at the time as I went to put the Ticket in my Wallet I realised it was a Sandwell and Dudley ticket I didn't even know WN Buses could issue them, went downstairs at Wolverhampton and told the Driver he printed a new one and said it was the Ticket Machine which had made an issue. I'm sure at one point Darlaston was able to have both the Walsall Ticket and Sandwell and Dudley might be wrong. At this point that may have ended so if it was GPS the ticket Machine on that bus classes Darlaston as Sandwell and Dudley Fare Zone. I was more surprised a WN Veichle had it to be honest
This was a problem on the WN operated 15/16 too as from time to time passengers either deliberately or accidentally travelled to Wolverhampton using a Dudley & Sandwell daysaver.  

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Rachvince53 on February 22, 2024, 11:11:24 AMThis was a problem on the WN operated 15/16 too as from time to time passengers either deliberately or accidentally travelled to Wolverhampton using a Dudley & Sandwell daysaver. 
I wouldn't have minded if I was going to West Bromwich or got say the 11/11A but I either had to get the Number 1 towards Tettenhall or the Number 10 and I knew it wouldn't be accepted and I had already used my £4 so I did the right thing. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Question if I was going from Darlaston to Cannock would I have to ask for a Daysaver Extra or is a normal daysaver valid on the X51 To the designer village. I am not sure if I will go to Cannock as the shop I would want is in Cannock and Perry Barr and maybe Merry Hill
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

Rachvince53

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on March 16, 2024, 10:27:05 AMQuestion if I was going from Darlaston to Cannock would I have to ask for a Daysaver Extra or is a normal daysaver valid on the X51 To the designer village. I am not sure if I will go to Cannock as the shop I would want is in Cannock and Perry Barr and maybe Merry Hill
You would need a Daysaver Extra. Normal daysaver (aka nBus) is not valid beyond the West Midlands boundary on the X51. 

Quote from: Rachvince53 on March 16, 2024, 11:09:54 AMYou would need a Daysaver Extra. Normal daysaver (aka nBus) is not valid beyond the West Midlands boundary on the X51.
The impression I got was that the N Bus is valid on all services including nx services over the boundary, but if you were to board the X13/891 in Coleshill  or X51 in Cannock you'd be given a daysaver extra with them being out of the area?

"Unlimited travel on all bus operators within the nBus zone and on all National Express buses.
Our drivers are unable to give change so if you pay with cash please use the exact fare."
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/tickets-prices/single-trips-day-tickets

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Rachvince53 on March 16, 2024, 11:09:54 AMYou would need a Daysaver Extra. Normal daysaver (aka nBus) is not valid beyond the West Midlands boundary on the X51.
I thought Cannock was In the West Midlands but maybe not in terms Of the NXWM area hence I wasn't sure 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

Rachvince53

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on March 16, 2024, 11:33:18 AMI thought Cannock was In the West Midlands but maybe not in terms Of the NXWM area hence I wasn't sure

Now Rereading the info on the NX website I'm confused too!

Westy

Well, they've been asked on X recently by me & @Stu but no answer was forthcoming, so that's that then!

Rachvince53

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on March 16, 2024, 11:33:18 AMI thought Cannock was In the West Midlands but maybe not in terms Of the NXWM area hence I wasn't sure
Cannock is outside the West Midlands (it's in Staffordshire)  but now within the NXWM area. 

Stu

The 'NXWM area' is anywhere served by an NX Bus service.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Quote from: Westy on March 16, 2024, 01:53:21 PMWell, they've been asked on X recently by me & @Stu but no answer was forthcoming, so that's that then!
You'll struggle to get any definitive answer from the social media 'team' who clearly don't work for the company but are some outsourced agency, hence why when someone asked about the 51 service in Coventry (which NX only partially operate on Sundays) they were given a link to the timetable of the 51 Birmingham-Walsall service. :rolleyes:

This is my interpretation and is by no means definitive.

If you buy a Daysaver on ANY NX Bus, it is valid on ALL bus services operated by NX Bus, as well as all other operators' services within the nBus area (shown on the map in my previous reply).

If you buy an nBus day ticket (or have a weekly/monthly nBus pass), it is only valid on ALL operators' services within the nBus area.

To travel beyond the nBus area with your nBus ticket/pass, you would need to either buy two single tickets on an NX Bus, or buy a Daysaver. The same would be expected if you were to travel on a Diamond or Arriva service that went outside the nBus area.

I'm still not sure where the 'Daysaver Extra' comes in. I'm presuming that if one was to board an NX Bus in Rugby or Lichfield, they can still be issued with a Daysaver ticket, which would be valid on ALL NX Bus services, as well as others within the nBus area.

But you couldn't use this on any other operators' services outside of the nBus area, which is fair enough.

With them being the same price, what exactly is the difference between an NX Daysaver and an NX Daysaver Extra then?

Now if Daysaver Extra tickets are only issued outside of the nBus area, they must surely be valid on all NX Bus services

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

karl724223

N bus tickets valid in tfwm land all operators 
Daysaver extra valid on nx buses only issued outside tfwm land 
One thing you've all missed is revenue on a daysaver extra ticket Nxwm get full £4.50
When bus is outside tfwm land I think the nbus ticket goes of the ticket machine so only daysaver extra can be issued outside tfwm land 

Westy

Quote from: Stu on March 16, 2024, 06:29:36 PMYou'll struggle to get any definitive answer from the social media 'team' who clearly don't work for the company but are some outsourced agency, hence why when someone asked about the 51 service in Coventry (which NX only partially operate on Sundays) they were given a link to the timetable of the 51 Birmingham-Walsall service. :rolleyes:

This is my interpretation and is by no means definitive.

If you buy a Daysaver on ANY NX Bus, it is valid on ALL bus services operated by NX Bus, as well as all other operators' services within the nBus area (shown on the map in my previous reply).

If you buy an nBus day ticket (or have a weekly/monthly nBus pass), it is only valid on ALL operators' services within the nBus area.

To travel beyond the nBus area with your nBus ticket/pass, you would need to either buy two single tickets on an NX Bus, or buy a Daysaver. The same would be expected if you were to travel on a Diamond or Arriva service that went outside the nBus area.

I'm still not sure where the 'Daysaver Extra' comes in. I'm presuming that if one was to board an NX Bus in Rugby or Lichfield, they can still be issued with a Daysaver ticket, which would be valid on ALL NX Bus services, as well as others within the nBus area.

But you couldn't use this on any other operators' services outside of the nBus area, which is fair enough.

With them being the same price, what exactly is the difference between an NX Daysaver and an NX Daysaver Extra then?

Now if Daysaver Extra tickets are only issued outside of the nBus area, they must surely be valid on all NX Bus services

But I managed both Cannock(X51) & Lichfield(8) on my NBus Regional monthly pass both ways, which you're saying, if I read it right, can't happen! (And the driver never queried it either)

I'd expect to pay on Chaserider 36 to go to Lichfield though.

The Dayticket question is another issue.

Also the Nbus 'area' has in the main, always been defined as the West Midlands County boundary, with certain bits added on later for various reasons.

The map you quoted seems to be the only map available thesedays, as the old ones published online by TFwm, when you had the old area passes, seems to have disappeared off the web now, else both maps could've been compared.

Also found this online :

Swift outside the West Midlands | Transport for West Midlands (tfwm.org.uk)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk