News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Always wondered why was the 4 or 37 back the. made into single deckers in the first place ? 

BBS

QuoteAlways wondered why was the 4 or 37 back the. made into single deckers in the first place ?
Rough guess, but I believe back in the days when we had the 31 which was similar to the 4, the 5, 6, 957. I'm sure there were plenty more before too, but now the 4 shouldn't have single decks 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on November 05, 2023, 01:30:45 PMAlways wondered why was the 4 or 37 back the. made into single deckers in the first place ?
I remember reading elsewhere that at the time, someone at NX Bus decided it was a good idea to use single decks on some services and make them more frequent. Hence the 37 became single deck operated, along with other routes such as the 6, 16, 33, 97 etc.

I believe the other issue was anti-social behaviour, which was another reason to make them single deck.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Stu on November 05, 2023, 02:38:09 PMI remember reading elsewhere that at the time, someone at NX Bus decided it was a good idea to use single decks on some services and make them more frequent. Hence the 37 became single deck operated, along with other routes such as the 6, 16, 33, 97 etc.

I believe the other issue was anti-social behaviour, which was another reason to make them single deck.

I had a feeling it was something like that, but in terms of latter point what's changed has the security infrastructures changed / improved. 

ellspurs

The 37 was the first to get those low-floor N-reg buses (the ones that knelt but still had two steps to get in there with). Was that when they were made single-decker?

They were followed the next year by the truly low-floor P-reg buses, which the first lot I think were on the 529? The low-floor double deckers began in the R-reg batch with a load of S-reg ones coming after.

Jack

Quote from: BBS on November 05, 2023, 02:06:19 PMRough guess, but I believe back in the days when we had the 31 which was similar to the 4, the 5, 6, 957. I'm sure there were plenty more before too, but now the 4 shouldn't have single decks 
If the frequency wasn't every 10 minutes and every 5 minutes like it used to be then they would be fine.

The 37 (4) used Single Decks for years and they've never been an issue it's only really since it's gone to be 10 minutes they've been an issue, I'd much rather having singles on the 4/4A however than some other services atm.

The ASB issue with the 6 and 37 had dropped considerably when they went to Single Deckers, they also was a lot more frequent so there wasn't much of an issue. Remember back then the peaks they'd often having Deckers on to help as well as the odd few that did all day.

Stu

Quote from: Jack on November 05, 2023, 04:00:57 PMIf the frequency wasn't every 10 minutes and every 5 minutes like it used to be then they would be fine.

The 37 (4) used Single Decks for years and they've never been an issue it's only really since it's gone to be 10 minutes they've been an issue, I'd much rather having singles on the 4/4A however than some other services atm.

The ASB issue with the 6 and 37 had dropped considerably when they went to Single Deckers, they also was a lot more frequent so there wasn't much of an issue. Remember back then the peaks they'd often having Deckers on to help as well as the odd few that did all day.

The 4 and 4A provide a combined 6 minute frequency between Birmingham city centre and Acocks Green. 

Single decks on high frequency services are fine, as long as those services run reliably.
My locals:

Jack

Quote from: Stu on November 05, 2023, 04:26:51 PMThe 4 and 4A provide a combined 6 minute frequency between Birmingham city centre and Acocks Green.

Single decks on high frequency services are fine, as long as those services run reliably.
Completely agree, only really see the 4/4A completely packed when there's delays etc. They usually have a full load but not standing packed, so I think there's some exaggerating going on...

Stu

Quote from: Jack on November 05, 2023, 05:57:55 PMCompletely agree, only really see the 4/4A completely packed when there's delays etc. They usually have a full load but not standing packed, so I think there's some exaggerating going on...
Of the services on the Stratford Road, the 4/4A are the only ones I don't really use, but I do observe them passing by while waiting for the 2, 3 or 5.

Often I'll see what appears to be 'fully-loaded' single-decks, but most of the time it just looks like that because so many people are standing in the gangway near the driver.

On the other hand, while the 6 used to be single deck operated, even now I see fully loaded double decks. And if the 6 gets delayed, it is the 2, 3 and 5 that tend to get rammed with people travelling to Sparkbrook/Sparkhill.
My locals:

Sh4318

I don't see any issues with the way the 4/4A is currently implemented in terms of allocation as long as there are some double decker to supplement/account for (as mentioned) possible delays and busier times, as I believe the case currently is
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 05, 2023, 06:11:02 PMI don't see any issues with the way the 4/4A is currently implemented in terms of allocation as long as there are some double decker to supplement/account for (as mentioned) possible delays and busier times, as I believe the case currently is
There are often double-decks used on the 4/4A alongside the single-decks.

My locals:

Jack

Quote from: Stu on November 05, 2023, 06:24:25 PMThere are often double-decks used on the 4/4A alongside the single-decks.

Yes, so whoever said 'the 4/4A must have Deckers all the time' are very much exaggerating in my opinion. Theres never been an issue with them at all.

BBS

QuoteYes, so whoever said 'the 4/4A must have Deckers all the time' are very much exaggerating in my opinion. Theres never been an issue with them at all.
With electrics coming soon, I see the 4/4A becoming deckers anyways. The E200mmcs can be well used for routes unable to accommodate deckers 

Jack

Quote from: BBS on November 05, 2023, 11:44:35 PMWith electrics coming soon, I see the 4/4A becoming deckers anyways. The E200mmcs can be well used for routes unable to accommodate deckers
And which routes are you to proposing they go onto?

The MMC's have a worse turning circle than other Singles so that's also a limit on what they can be used on. Nothing wrong with them on the 4/4A or other AG services.

BBS

QuoteAnd which routes are you to proposing they go onto?

The MMC's have a worse turning circle than other Singles so that's also a limit on what they can be used on. Nothing wrong with them on the 4/4A or other AG services.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong, just because their turning circle is worse doesn't mean they can't be used on other routes regardless being AG or not? They can only not be used in tight turn situations 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk