News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva Leicester

Started by Tony, January 28, 2014, 08:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexS

Yet another DB250 break down on the 50 today. It would probably be more worthy of comment if one of them managed an entire day on the 50/51 circuit without breaking down at this point.
Clearly there is something about the route that isn't agreeing with the buses so it's about time Arriva accepted reality as allocated them elsewhere until they finally manage to rid themselves of them.
Not only this but terrible allocation has seen the board behind the breakdown allocated a single passengers so not only are passengers delayed due to a bus not turning up but they are unable to board the subsequent service due to a lack of capacity. If Thurmaston have to allocate saloons to decker routes the least they could do is allocate reliable deckers (4552-4579 would appear to be the best option) to the boards either side to ensure passengers aren't being doubly inconvienienced.

markcf83

When would it be best to visit Leicester next year? I ask as I intend to combine a trip to Birmingham with one here too and wouldn't mind seeing a few of the electric buses in their new homes. Any help in this regard will be gratefully acknowledged.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Mayfield

No sign of any electrics at Thurmaston today, but looking at the amount of infrastructure work going on I'd be surprised if there in service before the new year.

SSmith09

Quote from: Mayfield on October 05, 2023, 01:32:20 PMNo sign of any electrics at Thurmaston today, but looking at the amount of infrastructure work going on I'd be surprised if there in service before the new year.
8000 was about today on training duties seen it on Charles Street around 11ish 

markcf83

Quote from: Mayfield on October 05, 2023, 01:32:20 PMNo sign of any electrics at Thurmaston today, but looking at the amount of infrastructure work going on I'd be surprised if there in service before the new year.
I guess it's a case of playing the waiting game.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Mayfield

If Bustimes is correct 4105 is back in use today.

SSmith09

Quote from: Mayfield on October 07, 2023, 10:52:11 AMIf Bustimes is correct 4105 is back in use today.
Only lasted on the 51 until around 9am if bus times is to be believed 🙄

47609FireFly

Quote from: AlexS on October 02, 2023, 05:29:35 PMYet another DB250 break down on the 50 today. It would probably be more worthy of comment if one of them managed an entire day on the 50/51 circuit without breaking down at this point.
Clearly there is something about the route that isn't agreeing with the buses so it's about time Arriva accepted reality as allocated them elsewhere until they finally manage to rid themselves of them.
Not only this but terrible allocation has seen the board behind the breakdown allocated a single passengers so not only are passengers delayed due to a bus not turning up but they are unable to board the subsequent service due to a lack of capacity. If Thurmaston have to allocate saloons to decker routes the least they could do is allocate reliable deckers (4552-4579 would appear to be the best option) to the boards either side to ensure passengers aren't being doubly inconvienienced.
Regarding the DB250s, they're life-expired. I can't imagine there's anything particular about the 50/51 which doesn't agree with them; they'll suffer failures no matter what. I have no problem with older vehicle stock per se, as long as maintenance regimes are dynamic enough to take into account an older vehicle which is still expected to do a full day's work.

The single-deck thing is becoming a problem in Leicester as a whole but for different reasons I think. With Arriva, I do get the general impression that a bus out on the road, allocated to a car line, is a tick in the box regardless of the type. It could also genuinely be that the person doing the allocating is up against it with what vehicle stock they have available at output time. Some of the bus workings don't help either though, which is an own goal. One such example is the double-decker which roams around for most of the day, on the 87, carrying penny numbers. It would be far better utilised elsewhere. The one reason it's on the 87 is that it commences the day on the 85.

Consolidating two depots into one hasn't helped their cause either with fewer staff managing the Leicester network as a whole. I was on Loughborough Road one day last week at around 1540. Between Checketts Road and Red Hill Circle, there were three inbound 127s, between 20 and 30 seconds apart. First up was a 72-plate E200MMC with passengers hanging out of the windows - it was heaving. Of course, this bus ought to be on the 58/58A. In second place came a 158 branded VDL SB200 with a good seated load. Finally, bringing up the rear and carrying fresh air was a 64-plate E400. It's alright bus companies taking an overly simplistic view that they're running all of their mileage but if the actual service delivery fails, by running clumps of vehicular resource together, meaning that the punctuality / reliability isn't there, people will soon get fed up and go elsewhere.

Mayfield

Looks like 4105 was back in service today for all of 4 minutes 

leicesterbusadventurer

Quote from: Mayfield on October 11, 2023, 10:32:49 AMLooks like 4105 was back in service today for all of 4 minutes
It didn't track but I did pass it on the 50 last night.

Tony

I photographed it three times today so way more than 4 minutes 

Mayfield

Must be tracker malfunction 

gka472l

Of note is the first of the swaps between Arriva Merseyside & Leicester, 4416 YX64VOP is now 4734 in the Arriva Merseyside fleet (Bootle depot) and entered service on the 62 in Liverpool today. Unsure what's gone to Leicester in return as Arriva Merseyside 4411/19/20 (58 plate), 4423-4425, 4427-4434 (09 plate) are all said to be destined for Leicester....

HTH

Tony

Arriva Merseyside 2926 has arrived in Derby, I photographed it in service yesterday

gka472l

Quote from: Tony on October 26, 2023, 06:37:16 PMArriva Merseyside 2926 has arrived in Derby, I photographed it in service yesterday

Midlands 3768/9 are now 3230/1 with Merseyside in exchange, at Bootle depot. There's quite a lot of swaps to get younger vehicles into the Merseyside fleet due to a 15 year rule, a fair amount of '62' plate Pulsars from Yorkshire are also getting swapped for older Merseyside examples....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk