News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Accidents/Incidents.

Started by P419 EJW, June 15, 2014, 11:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

QuoteOne from this morning,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-61587137
Weird to see a bridge with a height in metres, usually they are in ft/inches 
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Ginger66

Yesterday NX Tweeted there was delays on the inner circle route at 5 ways and allow extra time for the journey.  But surely customers would need to know roughly how long a delay ie is it a extra five minutes between buses or 20 minutes so they plan journey better 

Tony

QuoteYesterday NX Tweeted there was delays on the inner circle route at 5 ways and allow extra time for the journey.  But surely customers would need to know roughly how long a delay ie is it a extra five minutes between buses or 20 minutes so they plan journey better
Yes, I'm sure they can forecast how long it will take a bus to get through a traffic jam caused by an RTC. Incidently this wasn't a Bus incident/accident.

John

6137 completly gutted by fire on the upper deck, aparant arson

Ronnoc

https://twitter.com/Stefan5373/status/1533094695101943809

Here's an image of the damage to 6137, looks like a write-off.

Hopefully nobody hurt.

SK68MEV

Quote from: John on June 04, 2022, 04:01:49 PM6137 completly gutted by fire on the upper deck, aparant arson
yes unfortunately i have a few pictures but they're too big 
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

Stu

I hope they were able to recover the CCTV, so the scum that are responsible for this can have the book thrown at them.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

Do fires like that totally knacker the chassis, because wouldn't they be able to rebody at a later date?

Solo1

Was on tow about 7 on stoney lane 

paulb1973

Quote from: Westy on June 04, 2022, 07:21:40 PMDo fires like that totally knacker the chassis, because wouldn't they be able to rebody at a later date?

I did wonder that - some 'fires of old' (probably 1970s or earlier!) saw buses being re-bodied after fire damage. I'm probably thinking of Coventry Transport 76, its Park Royal body severely damaged in suspicious circumstances at Allesley Park in 1971, but received a new East Lance body a year or so later. A few other Coventry Transport Fleetlines damaged by fire managed to get repairs too. Presumably buses today are much more complex beasts!

Gareth

Quote from: Westy on June 04, 2022, 07:21:40 PMDo fires like that totally knacker the chassis, because wouldn't they be able to rebody at a later date?
Buses aren't often rebodied these days. 1324 (I think it was), 4014 and the 529 branded E400MMC recently. All of which were relatively young buses.

paulb1973

Quote from: Gareth on June 04, 2022, 09:13:49 PMBuses aren't often rebodied these days. 1324 (I think it was), 4014 and the 529 branded E400MMC recently. All of which were relatively young buses.
I can't think of any 're-body' of any fire-damaged bus in recent times - they've nearly always gone for scrap. 1321 was a Wolves-based Volvo B10B/Alexander which was lost to fire as far back as 29th April 1997. That & 4014 went for scrap. There was 4312 that suffered a very serious rear-end fire early in its career and was repaired and of-course fire damaged 4218 that was only weeks old, that re-surfaced at YW. The motto is - the younger they are - the greater the chance of repair!

Single deckers seem to fair better (only 2151 and 1791 I can think of that have been lost recently) perhaps due to driver being able to keep an eye on one deck rather than two!  

j789

One reason for the repairs made in the distant past (1970/80s) is that those buses - Fleetlines etc - were manufactured in a way where they needed a full body overhaul after around 7 years in service.

Therefore, the nature of this would suggest it was easier to rebuild these older buses than modern buses of today which aren't designed to have any sort of full overhaul midlife.

Another factor is no doubt the expense needed to rebuild modern buses is far higher than the equivalent cost for a Fleetline or similar, think of all of the additional technology today that is used on the bus. The increased expense of repairs no doubt means that more modern buses are just written off by the insurer rather than funding repairs.

markcf83

Quote from: paulb1973 on June 05, 2022, 10:44:33 AMI can't think of any 're-body' of any fire-damaged bus in recent times - they've nearly always gone for scrap. 1321 was a Wolves-based Volvo B10B/Alexander which was lost to fire as far back as 29th April 1997. That & 4014 went for scrap. There was 4312 that suffered a very serious rear-end fire early in its career and was repaired and of-course fire damaged 4218 that was only weeks old, that re-surfaced at YW. The motto is - the younger they are - the greater the chance of repair!

First Glasgow have not long heavily rebuilt 33981,the Enviro damaged by fire in the incident in Caledonia garage that destroyed ex London Volvo 32657,which was in a heritage livery.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

MW

The latest one. This time a 76.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk