News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Issues with logging in

Started by Stu, April 08, 2022, 09:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Over the years, this forum has been attacked a number of times by "bots" attempting to register to the forum in order to post 'spam'. One of the security features within SMF (our forum software) is to be able to block IP addresses, either individually or whole ranges.

Some members may now see the following message when visiting the forum on a mobile device.
You cannot view this attachment.
Unfortunately it would appear that a previously banned IP address range has now been 'reallocated' and is now being used by a UK mobile network provider.
In order to help me identify this IP address range, if anyone gets this message when trying to access the forum from a mobile device, please visit https://whatismyipaddress.com/ , make a note of your current IP address, and then send it to me in a private message (don't post in public please!) when you are next able to log in, or alternatively use the Contact Form on my WMBU website: https://wmbu.org.uk/contact-us/
If you are able to connect to a wi-fi hotspot (public or at home) then you will be assigned a different IP address and you should then have access to the forum.
Once I am able to identify this IP address range, I will be able to remove it from the ban triggers.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

This should be (sort of) resolved now - I have now altered the 'ban rule' so rather than outright blocking access to the forum, the IP address ranges in the 'trigger' list will simply restrict users from registering an account, you'll still be able to view and log in to the forum as normal.
My locals:

Westy

Stu - For the record, the only wi-fi's I use on a regular basis are the home Sky account, plus the Nx Bus one!

Something I have noticed with the Nx one, is sometimes I get a message along the lines of 'Someone is trying to access your connection' & refuses to let you go further on the web.

Normally happens on this site, but not regulary.

Stu

Quote from: Westy on April 08, 2022, 06:12:02 PMStu - For the record, the only wi-fi's I use on a regular basis are the home Sky account, plus the Nx Bus one!

Something I have noticed with the Nx one, is sometimes I get a message along the lines of 'Someone is trying to access your connection' & refuses to let you go further on the web.

Normally happens on this site, but not regulary.
Thanks for the info. The wi-fi provided by NX on their Platinum buses will be via a mobile network itself, was that what you were using when you got the message about being 'banned' yesterday?
My locals:

Westy

Quote from: Stu on April 08, 2022, 06:45:05 PMThanks for the info. The wi-fi provided by NX on their Platinum buses will be via a mobile network itself, was that what you were using when you got the message about being 'banned' yesterday?

Was on my home Sky wi -fi.

Abluhwleh

I use Now TV Broadband and had the same problem. Apparently this is just Sky Broadband rebranded, so maybe a problem with Sky IP addresses?

the trainbasher

I had it too (both on BT and 3). Each via a McAfee VPN.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Westy

Just bought a new laptop & in process of setting up all my website logins.

Is there a limit on how many times you can log in at the same time on different devices, as Ive got my phone plus my previous laptop logged in, but trying to log in a 3rd time throws up an error.

Obviously I'll log out the previous laptop later, but is there a limit?

Stu

Quote from: Westy on February 26, 2024, 06:45:12 PMJust bought a new laptop & in process of setting up all my website logins.

Is there a limit on how many times you can log in at the same time on different devices, as Ive got my phone plus my previous laptop logged in, but trying to log in a 3rd time throws up an error.

Obviously I'll log out the previous laptop later, but is there a limit?
I'm not aware of any such limit.

What error do you get? (That always helps with troubleshooting issues!)
My locals:

Westy

Quote from: Stu on February 26, 2024, 07:26:00 PMI'm not aware of any such limit.

What error do you get? (That always helps with troubleshooting issues!)

That's interesting.

It's just worked now, but it just came up 'Error', so all appears to be well.

(I'll log out of the other machine soon, to be sure!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk