News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve3229vp

Quote from: sonic84 on June 26, 2018, 05:24:34 PM
Yes there was the 102 wasn't there which followed the 24 (103 as it was back then) to Four Dwellings, then down Quinton Road West and West Boulevard.

Replaced then with the 10, and off peak 110 which extended up Quinton Road West and on to Blackheath via Quinton Road West and Olive Lane Estate.

It sure is a shame to see the 10/10H/10S as it is now.
Not Quite, the 102 ran as the 10 route to Court Oak, then as 103 (the 24 now) to Four Dwellings then via Quinton Road West to West Boulevard

Mike K

Quote from: Sh4318 on June 26, 2018, 01:56:43 PM
I seem to remember TWM doing everything in their power to keep the 10 running. Shame to see it the way it is now

The issue with the 10 was that the busy Quinton Road West to Court Oak section seemed to subsidise the remainder of the route, and when the then 103 was extended to cover Simmons Drive and Quinton Road West, it covered much of the busy section of the 10 route.

It also served some affluent areas - most people around there must use the car these days.

There was then the bizarre rerouting of it in Edgbaston via Chad Road and Hagley Road to Five Ways, for no other reason than to compete with the City Buslines 3 and 20 routes. The route declined thereafter.

It is a shame, because it was a historic route and a pleasant journey.

j789

Quote from: Mike K on June 26, 2018, 08:03:18 PM
The issue with the 10 was that the busy Quinton Road West to Court Oak section seemed to subsidise the remainder of the route, and when the then 103 was extended to cover Simmons Drive and Quinton Road West, it covered much of the busy section of the 10 route.

It also served some affluent areas - most people around there must use the car these days.

There was then the bizarre rerouting of it in Edgbaston via Chad Road and Hagley Road to Five Ways, for no other reason than to compete with the City Buslines 3 and 20 routes. The route declined thereafter.

It is a shame, because it was a historic route and a pleasant journey.

Yes, the 10 was a very useful route and I much preferred catching it to the 103 when I lived in Harborne. It used to carry healthy loads in the peaks and did carry a fair few passengers in the more affluent areas like Augustus Road. I personally think it could work if it was curtailed to run to the Town hall then extended the other direction via West Boulevard to Barnes Hill Asda. It could even go further and run as a fast direct bus to Northfield on the main road. A 30 minutes frequency would only require 3 vehicles on such a route as it could be done in 45 minutes one way. I did send this recommendation in as part of the consultation but it was no doubt not even considered as feasible.

Mike K

Quote from: j789 on June 26, 2018, 08:15:30 PM
Yes, the 10 was a very useful route and I much preferred catching it to the 103 when I lived in Harborne. It used to carry healthy loads in the peaks and did carry a fair few passengers in the more affluent areas like Augustus Road. I personally think it could work if it was curtailed to run to the Town hall then extended the other direction via West Boulevard to Barnes Hill Asda. It could even go further and run as a fast direct bus to Northfield on the main road. A 30 minutes frequency would only require 3 vehicles on such a route as it could be done in 45 minutes one way. I did send this recommendation in as part of the consultation but it was no doubt not even considered as feasible.

A major flaw in your recommendation was that you didn't have it going via the University and QE Hospital  ;)

sonic84

Where did the 103 used to terminate as I've only ever known it do the full loop. I vaguely remember seeing a 103A at one point but not sure what the difference was between the two.

Mike K

Quote from: sonic84 on June 26, 2018, 11:34:46 PM
Where did the 103 used to terminate as I've only ever known it do the full loop. I vaguely remember seeing a 103A at one point but not sure what the difference was between the two.

It used to terminate on Simmons Drive, at the junction with Middle Leasow - there's a bus lay-by there. It followed the current route via Dwellings Lane and Highfield Lane, then it turned left onto Simmons Drive (instead of right as it does now). It then returned via Simmons Drive, left onto Quinton Road West and return of outward route.

Was the 103A an evening variant that didn't do the whole 'CentreLink' city loop, i.e. it went the same route as other Harborne services for a short time? My memory fails me.

Sayeed

Quote from: sonic84 on June 26, 2018, 11:34:46 PM

I do remember 103A used to go directly to Colmore Row instead of markets and it was in 2007 Boxing day.

Век живи - век учись

:D

8A/8C should be split into multiple segments and each segment would overlap with other segment in some way. I found myself and & others not using it despite it being most the direct route for some places I visit due its unreliability.

Some less used sections could be left without a service and some existing bus routes close to 8A/8C could have their frequencies increased and their routes modified to cover the some sections of the 8A/8C route.

Using East Birmingham as example - starting from North East to South East:

New bus route: Star City - Alum Rock - Heartlands Hospital. Perhaps the terminus at Star city could be extended to Aston or Perry Barr?

Using existing bus route, 28: Fox & Goose - Heartlands Hospital - Small Heath (Coventry Road instead of Waverley Road) -  Joseph Chamberlain College.

I don't know about other sections of 8A/8C route enough to come up with solutions, perhaps somebody here could weigh in?

Kevin

Quote from: :D on June 27, 2018, 01:09:06 PM
8A/8C should be split into multiple segments and each segment would overlap with other segment in some way. I found myself and & others not using it despite it being most the direct route for some places I visit due its unreliability.

Some less used sections could be left without a service and some existing bus routes close to 8A/8C could have their frequencies increased and their routes modified to cover the some sections of the 8A/8C route.

Using East Birmingham as example - starting from North East to South East:

New bus route: Star City - Alum Rock - Heartlands Hospital. Perhaps the terminus at Star city could be extended to Aston or Perry Barr?

Using existing bus route, 28: Fox & Goose - Heartlands Hospital - Small Heath (Coventry Road instead of Waverley Road) -  Joseph Chamberlain College.

I don't know about other sections of 8A/8C route enough to come up with solutions, perhaps somebody here could weigh in?

It's an idea I've toyed with over the years  I think there's mileage in something like that. With potentially routes running from the city centre / markets via parts of the inner circle out to Heartlands hospital, or the QE. Could even incorporate some of the local routes in the inner city area like the 46 and the 101. End to end routes far better for time keeping than a circle

I'd similarly like to see some routes extend that little bit beyond the current city centre. The Big City Plan or whatever its called was to expand what is considered "city centre" to include near as damn it everything within the Ring Road, it makes a lot of sense to me to have bus routes that reflect this, say coming in from the Five Ways area across the current city centre to terminate around Aston Uni
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Westy

Where would you have the routes from the northside of the city terminate?

Walsall tried extending the 951 down to the markets but had to abandon it due to traffic congestion.

Sayeed

Quote from: sonic84 on June 26, 2018, 01:18:02 PM
Unfortunately I do think the 10H has slightly lost its way now since it has been altered and adjusted to plug the gaps left in the 8A, 8C and 647.  It now takes nearly an hour to get from Quinton to the City Centre and where I would have chose to get the 10H rather than the 24 before into Birmingham, I definitely would avoid it now.

Yeah, I sampled that route last year they should have withdrew it or merge with 38. I thought about the former 8A/C part but that area is mainly accommodation for BCU students I doubt it would be any use for them.

Век живи - век учись

OH25

I saw a current route map of the 27 and despite the upcoming changes, was there ever a circular route ever considered or done from the Hawkesley to Maypole termini?

SO6597

Quote from: OH25 on July 07, 2018, 11:52:15 PM
I saw a current route map of the 27 and despite the upcoming changes, was there ever a circular route ever considered or done from the Hawkesley to Maypole termini?
The 27 was a circular route from 1990 to 1994 although it continued from Hawkesley to Kings Heath via Monyhull Road and the Dawberry Fields estate rather than onto the Maypole. It was numbered A/C with some shorter evening and late night journeys showing 27AE/CE on occasion. It was replaced by an extension of the 35 until the 27 returned in late 2003.

l.murphy123

Quote from: Alex on November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM
Title says it all, really
Money or patronage is no issue here as it's just for fun, so have at it :)

For me i'd have to say NXWM Platinum busses every 15 minutes between Stafford and Cannock, then between Cannock and Walsall. There's more chance of Donald Trump becoming the king of England.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Kevin

Quote from: l.murphy123 on July 08, 2018, 11:24:18 PM

For me i'd have to say NXWM Platinum busses every 15 minutes between Stafford and Cannock, then between Cannock and Walsall. There's more chance of Donald Trump becoming the king of England.

There's one that got me when Arriva launched the 1/2 as Sapphire. My thought would have been leave the 2 as the local round the houses bus at the lower frequency and the 1 Sapphire every 15 to Huntington, with every other bus (every half hour) beyond to Stafford taking over the 74
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk