News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: BK63 YWP on January 30, 2024, 05:54:12 PMThat's what's SDO is for.
I don't know if 730s have SDO or UDS like the 350s.

markcf83

T
Quote from: Wba_lad on January 30, 2024, 05:13:27 PMI don't think Galton bridge would be a problem, I think more Rolfe street would be.
That's the one I meant. 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Tony

I have just had it confirmed that 730s do have SDO (selective door opening) not UDS (Unit de-select) like the 350s do, so no intermediate stations would be a problem, only terminals if there isn't room for turnaround would be a problem

mikestone

Someone would have to pay to fit the equipment at stations though.

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on January 31, 2024, 01:32:43 PMSomeone would have to pay to fit the equipment at stations though.
What equipment?

mikestone

I had assumed some kind of balise was required but looking at wikipedia it may not be a requirement.
;
That said the Rule Book does refer to reporting a fault due to defective lineside equipment.
;
RSSB group standard refers examples of both balise and GPS activated systems.

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on February 01, 2024, 11:31:04 AMI had assumed some kind of balise was required but looking at wikipedia it may not be a requirement.
;
That said the Rule Book does refer to reporting a fault due to defective lineside equipment.
;
RSSB group standard refers examples of both balise and GPS activated systems.
South West Trains use GPS SDO which requires lineside equipment, but West Midlands Trains just use Guard operated. With the 170s the guard just has to be in the last carriage that the doors are going to open and can select that carriage plus any in front. This is fairly safe as as long as the conductor can see platform where he is all the doors he is opening will be by the platform.

With the 350s which have unit de-select it is similar the conductor has to be in the front cab of the first unit the doors will not be opening in.

Dom

QuoteI have just had it confirmed that 730s do have SDO (selective door opening) not UDS (Unit de-select) like the 350s do, so no intermediate stations would be a problem, only terminals if there isn't room for turnaround would be a problem
It's ASDO the Class 730s are fitted with. Infestructure is already in place. 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

I assume these 730's will be used on the eventual new Wolverhampton to Walsall Line Via Willenhall and Darlaston and then when they extends down to Birmingham. I did read somewhere Darlaston and Willenhall would be built for 4 car trains so at the time 350's but I assume this will change now considering neither station is built. Or are 350's going to run the line and maybe come of the Chase Line. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Tony

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on February 08, 2024, 04:34:35 PMI assume these 730's will be used on the eventual new Wolverhampton to Walsall Line Via Willenhall and Darlaston and then when they extends down to Birmingham. I did read somewhere Darlaston and Willenhall would be built for 4 car trains so at the time 350's but I assume this will change now considering neither station is built. Or are 350's going to run the line and maybe come of the Chase Line.
Not sure how they will cope with Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton without batteries although they were used in the publicity shot!  New Black Country railway stations will be served by fast route from Shrewsbury to New Street | Shropshire Star 

If anyone want to travel on the very first passenger run in this area you will need to be a nightowl...It is booked to be the 22:41 Birmingham to Wolverhampton on Monday, then start the regular diagram on Tuesday which commences with the 06:18 Wolverhampton to Walsall

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Tony on February 08, 2024, 05:10:14 PMNot sure how they will cope with Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton without batteries although they were used in the publicity shot!  New Black Country railway stations will be served by fast route from Shrewsbury to New Street | Shropshire Star

If anyone want to travel on the very first passenger run in this area you will need to be a nightowl...It is booked to be the 22:41 Birmingham to Wolverhampton on Monday, then start the regular diagram on Tuesday which commences with the 06:18 Wolverhampton to Walsall
I thought that the Walsall - Wolverhampton services were supplemented by the Shrewsbury service for an initial half hourly service so you got a mix of EMU's and DMU's if I had read it right 350's and 196's on the Shrewsbury service. I assume if this isn't the case the 196 will be Line tested unless something else will run in the line.
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Tony

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on February 08, 2024, 05:53:10 PMI thought that the Walsall - Wolverhampton services were supplemented by the Shrewsbury service for an initial half hourly service so you got a mix of EMU's and DMU's if I had read it right 350's and 196's on the Shrewsbury service. I assume if this isn't the case the 196 will be Line tested unless something else will run in the line.
How can 350s operate the Shrewsbury service?  The 196s don't need to be line tested, they have been operating all Shrewsbury services for months

Ronnoc

It is going to be 196s, unless they want to put 172s on it then there is no other alternative. There are plans to electrify the line to Shrewsbury from Wolves and upgrade the speed limit to 90mph from 75mph, but knowing the ambitiousness of this country, it will likely be shelved.

BK63 YWP

QuoteIt is going to be 196s, unless they want to put 172s on it then there is no other alternative. There are plans to electrify the line to Shrewsbury from Wolves and upgrade the speed limit to 90mph from 75mph, but knowing the ambitiousness of this country, it will likely be shelved.
Don't think the 172s are cleared for BHM to SHR. Snow Hill need to use all the 172 available to enable 5 car workings and up to four in maintenance 
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk