News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Stops ?

Started by Nathan4775, August 28, 2013, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Westy on April 12, 2024, 03:26:29 PMThere's probably quite a few like that, that have had to change over the years.
Similar in Coventry.

Before they lifted and shifted overseas the HSBC bank had a suite of big offices in Coventry and the nearest stops (outwards & into town) are still called HSBC today - quite meaningless today.

There seems to be no real local name nearby that could be used instead except for other businesses including a local bus/coach operator. So how about changing the stop names to A-Line? It would make more sense to people locally.

Westy

Quote from: Sandy Lane on April 13, 2024, 09:28:36 AMSimilar in Coventry.

Before they lifted and shifted overseas the HSBC bank had a suite of big offices in Coventry and the nearest stops (outwards & into town) are still called HSBC today - quite meaningless today.

There seems to be no real local name nearby that could be used instead except for other businesses including a local bus/coach operator. So how about changing the stop names to A-Line? It would make more sense to people locally.
Then if A-Line disappears for any reason, the process starts again.

What about the street name, that should always be the priority for the stop?

ellspurs

I'm confused as to what stops is being talked about? I went on Google to Herald Way, Coventry (which is where A-Line is shown to be), and all the bus stops around it that are visible on Google Street view have street name/street name on them.

Sandy Lane

The stops are on Brandon Rd, Coventry
Use what 3 words = parts.then.bonus

Also note the entrance to the A-line depot is off the Brandon Rd not Herald Way.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Westy on April 13, 2024, 11:28:04 AMThen if A-Line disappears for any reason, the process starts again.

What about the street name, that should always be the priority for the stop?
Exactly and that's my point!
Trouble is there is not much around that location to come up with a geographic name but suggestions always welcome.

ellspurs

1 Brandon Road, Willenhall Way

2 Brandon Road, Willenhall Way

3 Brandon Road, Herald Way

4 Brandon Road, Herald Way (the 2021-2023 pictures show it as having no flagpole)

5 Brandon Road, East By-Pass

6 Brandon Road, East By-Pass.

I looked at the timetables for the NXC services using those stops and there was no mention of HSBC.

Back in the day, pubs and official places were used as marking points for bus stops. I still remember the terminus for the Chelmsley Wood buses being the MEB, not Pine Square. On Meadway, I still refer to the Macadown Pub that has had a Lidl built on it, knocked down and rebuilt in the last 20 years. It does look like they are generally going for crossroad indicators for bus stops rather than using places that may not be there in the future.

Jay71

The 23/24 now stop on Carrs Lane & outside the Square Peg. Why the need to have two stops so close together?

ellspurs

Quote from: Jay71 on April 20, 2024, 02:04:53 PMThe 23/24 now stop on Carrs Lane & outside the Square Peg. Why the need to have two stops so close together?
Carrs Lane is for Moor Street Station, the Square Peg is for the central shopping area, at a guess?

Jack

Quote from: Jay71 on April 20, 2024, 02:04:53 PMThe 23/24 now stop on Carrs Lane & outside the Square Peg. Why the need to have two stops so close together?
All the current Carrs Lane services do that, as did the previous Limited Stop services and no one complained until now.

Jay71

Quote from: Jack on April 20, 2024, 09:31:33 PMAll the current Carrs Lane services do that, as did the previous Limited Stop services and no one complained until now.
I thought the 16/16a stopped at Carrs Lane & then stopped just after the 74 stop

Jack

Quote from: Jay71 on April 20, 2024, 10:24:02 PMI thought the 16/16a stopped at Carrs Lane & then stopped just after the 74 stop
Correct, but still it's not much of an issue really, both stops are popular so are needed.

Tony

Close together? Perhaps you might try pushing a wheelchair from one to the other through the roadworks then say they were close together

Jay71

Quote from: Tony on April 21, 2024, 09:31:06 AMClose together? Perhaps you might try pushing a wheelchair from one to the other through the roadworks then say they were close together
If you don't like the roadworks then complain about them. 

Tony

Quote from: Jay71 on April 21, 2024, 09:38:49 AMIf you don't like the roadworks then complain about them.
Stupid reply.

I didn't say I didn't like them. Your the one making the initial complaint about bus stops being too close, but you appear to only want to complain about things. Carrs Lane to Square peg is not a close distance to some.

Jay71

Quote from: Tony on April 21, 2024, 10:19:50 AMStupid reply.

I didn't say I didn't like them. Your the one making the initial complaint about bus stops being too close, but you appear to only want to complain about things. Carrs Lane to Square peg is not a close distance to some.
Are you saying that every post that I do is complaining or moaning? If this is the case then you're wrong. I've done posts where I've said good things about Chaserider & Travel Express 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk