News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Routes that deserve a bus upgrade

Started by Sh4318, June 01, 2013, 10:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Quote from: Gareth on June 02, 2013, 12:31:48 PM
Tame valley was either backed or owned by British Bus (if I remember correctly)

And Frontline operated commercially on the 94 and 96(or was it the 97) as well as their tendered work.

They did have a spell on the 97 I think yes, but by the time Badgerline got hold of them they had packed up on both and had no commercial activity in the West Mids. Although interestingly Badgerline was quite happy to let Frontline go up against MRW for tenders in the area.

There was a suspicion that British Bus was involved in Tame Valley but that stopped making sense when Tame Valley began swallowing tendered work up around Tamworth.

winston

And Frontline operated commercially on the 94 and 96(or was it the 97) as well as their tendered work.

Oh right, thanks for that Gareth, for some reason I had it in my head it was Stagecoach, due to them missing out on the opportunity to buy WMT in Dec 1991?

andy

Quote from: Winston on June 02, 2013, 12:34:43 PM
Quote from: andy on June 02, 2013, 12:26:49 PM
Quote from: Winston on June 02, 2013, 12:20:52 PM
Quote from: Gareth on June 02, 2013, 12:10:49 PM
That may have been the situation. All got a bit muddled in the brain over the years. Frontline were another group to take on East Birmingham, using mostly ex WMT buses and part of Bagerline I believe. I liked them, a Routemaster on the 94, epic!

I think Tame Valley may have been back by Stagecoach?

It was Frontline that were taken over by Bagerline who in turn merged with GRT Holdings to become First Bus, I don't recall Frontline competing with WMT on any great scale

Most of Frontline's activity in the West Midlands was tendered, the 94 was a bit of an anomaly. Their primary focus was to engage Midland Red North although I was never really sure what the Badgerline Group were hoping to achieve with that.

In the event I think it was more of a tactic than an actual concrete plan as all they did was retain the competing services that already existed under its previous guise, Burman Travel. Badgerline only acquired one new vehicle for Frontline, the only other acquisitions being elderly cast offs from other Badgerline operators. They quickly lost interest and sold up to Drawlane/Cowie.

Thanks Andy, some of those bits I can remember, but I'm really straining the memory banks with that!

Wasn't Serverse Travel related to the Burman / Frontline original owners as well? They competed with WMT on the 96 & 97at least

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44483738@N05/sets/72157623425116599/detail/

Yes, Serverse was created by a member of the management team from Burman Travel who left upon the formation of Frontline, they used Burman's old yard and took many of their drivers and fitters.

winston

Quote from: Winston on June 02, 2013, 12:38:05 PM

Oh right, thanks for that Gareth, for some reason I had it in my head it was Stagecoach, due to them missing out on the opportunity to buy WMT in Dec 1991?

Gareth, Wicki backs up your info on Tame Valley, was in 1993 when WMT took over Tame Valley & removed them off the streets virtually overnight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tame_Valley_Travel_Limited

Gareth

Good to know the memory still works, thanks for the link Winston.
To pay the price they did for a fleet of buses, the vast majority going for scrap was a brave move, but they were obviously very concerned with the competition and the price was worth it.

I heard from someone, either someone to do with TVT or Drawlane, that they had £500,000 up front and the remaining £500,000 after they closed down. And yes, i do believe it was pretty much overnight. He claims to still have a copy of the first cheque.

TVT were also operating the 663 at the time, they took it over from MRW. WMT had it for a short time after Tame Valley closed, before Stevensons took it on. Only to go back to WMT, then Petes, then Zak's, then Cental connect and now Blue Diamond as the 53. Lots of operators!

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on June 02, 2013, 03:58:24 PM
To pay the price they did for a fleet of buses, the vast majority going for scrap was a brave move, but they were obviously very concerned with the competition and the price was worth it.

I heard from someone, either someone to do with TVT or Drawlane, that they had £500,000 up front and the remaining £500,000 after they closed down. And yes, i do believe it was pretty much overnight. He claims to still have a copy of the first cheque.

TVT were also operating the 663 at the time, they took it over from MRW. WMT had it for a short time after Tame Valley closed, before Stevensons took it on. Only to go back to WMT, then Petes, then Zak's, then Cental connect and now Blue Diamond as the 53. Lots of operators!

Do remember that anyone can put articles on wikipedia and they don't have to be facts! I don't know any more about this so I am not doubting its accuracy, but that article could have been written by anyone on heresay alone. I do know someone who will know the facts who now volunteers at Aston Manor of Road Transport, so I must ask him when I next see him

winston

Quote from: Tony on June 02, 2013, 09:42:44 PM
Quote from: Gareth on June 02, 2013, 03:58:24 PM

Do remember that anyone can put articles on wikipedia and they don't have to be facts! I don't know any more about this so I am not doubting its accuracy, but that article could have been written by anyone on heresay alone. I do know someone who will know the facts who now volunteers at Aston Manor of Road Transport, so I must ask him when I next see him

Cheers Tony, Wicki was the best we could find at the time

Kevin

To go back to the original topic just for a minute...

Although the 16 is my other local route (for either when I get bored of the Walsall Road, the train's cancelled or I fancy actually traveling by bus on a sunday instead of waiting forever for one) I genuinely would not say the 16 needs upgrading, it isnt really that much of a prestige route in my eyes.

I would definitely say the Bristol road should be upgraded, such a major route through the uni and to the major new developments in Longbridge etc, always busy in both directions I've found.
(It also needs night buses, but thats a different arguement that I'm never going to win)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

ilovetea4370

Quote from: Kevin on June 03, 2013, 09:06:55 PM
To go back to the original topic just for a minute...

Although the 16 is my other local route (for either when I get bored of the Walsall Road, the train's cancelled or I fancy actually traveling by bus on a sunday instead of waiting forever for one) I genuinely would not say the 16 needs upgrading, it isnt really that much of a prestige route in my eyes.

I would definitely say the Bristol road should be upgraded, such a major route through the uni and to the major new developments in Longbridge etc, always busy in both directions I've found.
(It also needs night buses, but thats a different arguement that I'm never going to win)

I actually agree with everything you've said here about the Bristol Road routes!

Mike K

The 24 needs an upgrade. It seriously lowers the tone over this side of the city with the 22/23 having 61 plates, the 29/29A 12 plates, and the 99 62 plates.  ;)

Oh, and agree on the Bristol Road - shockingly neglected for years.

Trident 4609

Quote from: Mike K on June 04, 2013, 11:07:43 PM
The 24 needs an upgrade. It seriously lowers the tone over this side of the city with the 22/23 having 61 plates, the 29/29A 12 plates, and the 99 62 plates.  ;)

But the 24 still gets hybrids doesn't it? The 22/3/4 work like the WN1/59 with spare hybrids going onto BC24 and WN59

Mike K

Yes, tongue in cheek comment again (winkie icon). The 24 gets 1 or 2 hybrids Mon to Sat and is usually fully hybrid on Sun.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Mike K on June 04, 2013, 11:07:43 PM

Taking the mick i think complete over investment in some areas and next to none in others in my humble view.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk