News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Destination displays

Started by Gareth, February 23, 2022, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

Noticed a destination display change today. 94 now shows Via Ward End and Saltley. 95 Showing Via Shard End and Kingshurt.
However I'm not sure if it's currently both garages.

GoldenSquid

Noticed some of the BC buses have had the destinations changed. With the X12 now saying Via Chelmsley Wood on one blind and Via Castle Bromwich.

As well as the 97 now says via Heartlands Hospital and Via Bordersley Green, interestingly it no longer says Via Meadway.

Not sure on any other routes, as I've only seen those two routes recently.
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

Stu

Quote from: Gareth on February 23, 2022, 04:53:04 PM
Noticed a destination display change today. 94 now shows Via Ward End and Saltley. 95 Showing Via Shard End and Kingshurt.
However I'm not sure if it's currently both garages.

That probably makes more sense as its a bit clearer where both these routes go.

Quote from: GoldenSquid on February 23, 2022, 06:13:28 PM
Noticed some of the BC buses have had the destinations changed. With the X12 now saying Via Chelmsley Wood on one blind and Via Castle Bromwich.

As well as the 97 now says via Heartlands Hospital and Via Bordersley Green, interestingly it no longer says Via Meadway.

Not sure on any other routes, as I've only seen those two routes recently.

Again, it makes sense to highlight Heartlands Hospital on the display, for those that look at them anyway.

It will be interesting to see what gets rolled out across the network.

One example I can think of where this will benefit is the 4 and 4A. Presently both show 'via Acocks Green', even when both go to Solihull.

4 - Solihull Station - via Acocks Green & Olton
4A - Solihull Station - via Acocks Green & Gospel Oak
4A - Gospel Oak - via Acocks Green

Also, as a personal preference, I'd like to see both the 2 and 3 changed to show 'via Billesley' rather than 'Stoney Lane'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Stu on February 23, 2022, 07:25:54 PM
That probably makes more sense as its a bit clearer where both these routes go.

Again, it makes sense to highlight Heartlands Hospital on the display, for those that look at them anyway.

It will be interesting to see what gets rolled out across the network.

One example I can think of where this will benefit is the 4 and 4A. Presently both show 'via Acocks Green', even when both go to Solihull.

4 - Solihull Station - via Acocks Green & Olton
4A - Solihull Station - via Acocks Green & Gospel Oak
4A - Gospel Oak - via Acocks Green

Also, as a personal preference, I'd like to see both the 2 and 3 changed to show 'via Billesley' rather than 'Stoney Lane'.

I miss the scrolling via points which showed more points
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

MasterPlan

Quite a few buses have the new display from what I saw today. Can't remember the last time the 63 said anything other than via Bristol Road. Even when the scrolling displays were a thing that's all it said.

It's been said already but yeah it'll definitely be good for those corridor routes that presently have the same solitary via point.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Tony

Destination displays are now done in house. The font has had to be changed as the previous contractor claimed copyright on the old font

Stu

Quote from: Tony on February 23, 2022, 08:06:49 PM
Destination displays are now done in house. The font has had to be changed as the previous contractor claimed copyright on the old font

I find that a bit strange really, I've played about with the HELEN software before, and the font that is used is no different to the 'standard' fonts included in the software, hence why when I see Diamond Buses, their display looks identical to that used on NX Buses.

Quote from: BK63 YWP on February 23, 2022, 07:51:59 PM
I miss the scrolling via points which showed more points

I think they were quite informative when they scrolled like that, but I believe there were 'accessibility issues' in that some people found they were hard to read. Plus it may not help if the bus speeds past at 20-30mph and you can't read all of what it says!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

Isn't there a memory issue with what can be put on the displays?

Sure when there was a similar topic discussed in the past, someone mentioned that certain displays had been removed or simplified.

Without looking, I cannot remember any specific ones, but I don't think the one that refers to severe weather 'Serving Main Roads Only' was one of them!

mesub

Quote from: Tony on February 23, 2022, 08:06:49 PM

Are stop announcements done in house as well?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Stu on February 23, 2022, 08:35:20 PM
I find that a bit strange really, I've played about with the HELEN software before, and the font that is used is no different to the 'standard' fonts included in the software, hence why when I see Diamond Buses, their display looks identical to that used on NX Buses.

Thandi (Blue) also use a font similar to the NX one.

MasterPlan

From the looks of it, it seems more Perry Barr buses have been done that most.

I see California has made a comeback onto the displays, on the X22.

I'd have thought for uniformity University / Selly Oak & Weoley Castle - University / Bartley Green & Kitwell would've been better. Keeping the corridor section separate.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

sandboy20

If destination displays are now done in house could "via Coventry" be ditched at the
earliest opportunity for something more informative ?

Wumpty

Quote from: sandboy20 on February 24, 2022, 10:48:39 AM
If destination displays are now done in house could "via Coventry" be ditched at the
earliest opportunity for something more informative ?
@sandboy20 which routes does this apply to, and what would you suggest instead? I'm not from Coventry so would like to understand how this affects Cov passengers.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Wumpty on February 24, 2022, 02:37:45 PM
@sandboy20 which routes does this apply to, and what would you suggest instead? I'm not from Coventry so would like to understand how this affects Cov passengers.

It's one I agree looks daft. It is displayed on cross-city routes, via city centre is more appropriate in my view

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on February 24, 2022, 02:43:16 PM
It's one I agree looks daft. It is displayed on cross-city routes, via city centre is more appropriate in my view

I see what you mean. Thinking about it, it does sound daft (a bit like putting via Wolverhampton or via Birmingham). Didn't the older roller blinds have "via Pool Meadow" and "via Burgess" in white on blue in this context?
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk