News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus_user_jay

Why can't hydrogen buses be stored indoors? Am I missing something basic lol?

Quote from: Bus_user_jay on May 04, 2021, 11:28:16 PM
Why can't hydrogen buses be stored indoors? Am I missing something basic lol?
Is it for safety reasons of some sort/flammability?

"Hydrogen cylinders and storage tanks should be stored outside at a safe distance from structures, ventilation intakes, and vehicle routes."
"Hydrogen is about 57 times lighter than gasoline vapor (as shown in Figure 1) and 14 times lighter than air. This means that if it is released in an open environment, it will typically rise and disperse rapidly. This is a safety advantage in an outside environment."
https://h2tools.org/bestpractices/proper-storage-use-and-venting#:~:text=Hydrogen%20cylinders%20and%20storage%20tanks%20should%20be%20stored,with%20welded%20lines%20to%20connect%20to%20indoor%20equipment.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

markcf83

It wouldn't surprise me if you're right.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: bbs on May 04, 2021, 11:24:18 PM
I am slightly expecting at least 1 of them on the X51 or 934-937 everyday

For the X51/X2 cross city service
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

karl724223

Just a thought for the future as hydrogen buses can't be stored inside garages that might end up with hydrogen buses could be Wolverhampton and pensnett along with Walsall with the likes of west brom and acocks green being electric bus garages due to being under cover garages with houses around them  the new Perry Barr garage and both new Birmingham garages could be both hydrogen and electric run bus garages any thoughts ?

don

Quote from: karl724223 on May 08, 2021, 12:22:21 PM
Just a thought for the future as hydrogen buses can't be stored inside garages that might end up with hydrogen buses could be Wolverhampton and pensnett along with Walsall with the likes of west brom and acocks green being electric bus garages due to being under cover garages with houses around them  the new Perry Barr garage and both new Birmingham garages could be both hydrogen and electric run bus garages any thoughts ?

Yeah I'd thought that although Tony said the tanks can be emptied and then re-filled - although maybe a bit of a faff? However the thing that struck me in that NX progress report on the electrics was the suggestion that hydrogen buses may be better on longer routes - notable the electrics at YW and CV are taken off service in the evening and covered by standard Platinums. I guess CV have the 11 and the Rugby/Nuneaton services which are longer than the others based there
perhaps? However WN, WA and PE each have some pretty long routes?
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Stu

Quote from: karl724223 on May 08, 2021, 12:22:21 PM

There would also need to be more hydrogen refuelling points - like the one being built in Tyseley - as presumably garages won't have such refuelling facilities on site?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on May 08, 2021, 06:23:26 PM
There would also need to be more hydrogen refuelling points - like the one being built in Tyseley - as presumably garages won't have such refuelling facilities on site?

Walsall is having a hydrogen fuelling facility built.

BBS

Quote from: Tony on May 08, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
Walsall is having a hydrogen fuelling facility built.
Walsall it is then I thought it was Acocks green lol
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Tony

Quote from: bbs on May 08, 2021, 11:22:40 PM
Walsall it is then I thought it was Acocks green lol

Not sure why. No-one has ever said they were going to Acocks Green

Stu

Quote from: Tony on May 09, 2021, 08:30:38 AM
Not sure why. No-one has ever said they were going to Acocks Green

There was some initial speculation here when the press release was first announced, it was assumed they would be based at Acocks Green because they would be refuelled at the new facility in Tyseley.
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=4951.0

But that rumour was put to bed once you suggested they would be going to Walsall.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Jack6101

https://twitter.com/brumleader/status/1398259918214504449?s=21
Just saw this on Twitter you can see the brand new hydrogen nxwm buses
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

CL

Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Michael Bevan

A photo has been posted on Facebook of one of the new Hydrogen StreetDeck's on the back of a low loader at the Stena Line Terminal in Northern Ireland..

Photo ©️ Matthew Parkinson...

Tony

Quote from: Michael Bevan on June 26, 2021, 04:17:19 AM
A photo has been posted on Facebook of one of the new Hydrogen StreetDeck's on the back of a low loader at the Stena Line Terminal in Northern Ireland..

Photo ©️ Matthew Parkinson...

That should be H1002 which is on its way to a show, not coming directly to West Midlands

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk