News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Sprint

Started by bususer28, January 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on February 14, 2021, 09:53:41 AM
I thought Sprint was replacing the 51 and X51 shorts to Walsall with the X51's still running to and from Cannock, just as the X1 still running to and Coventry.

That will likely be the case, what I meant was it would be desirable for the Sprint services to pickup from the current X51/X1/X2 stops.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Steve3229vp on February 14, 2021, 09:53:41 AM
I thought Sprint was replacing the 51 and X51 shorts to Walsall with the X51's still running to and from Cannock, just as the X1 still running to and Coventry.

If only bus scheduling was that simple

:D

Quote from: Stu on February 14, 2021, 09:49:25 AM
I don't know to be honest, but it is an interesting question.

Towards Walsall, it would appear straight-forward, coming into city via current X1/X2 route but instead of terminating on Moor Street Queensway, continue up Carrs Lane and on to Lower Bull Street, to then pick up the X51 route.

This would be fine if Sprint uses Platinum buses, I don't know how well any articulated bus would handle those turns!

Towards Solihull, it would be a bit tricky and I can't see any way it can arrive in city via the X51 route to then pickup from the current X1/X2 stop, which would presumably be desired, unless that stop is relocated across the road.

So my guess is that it would arrive via the current X51 route onto Moor Street Queensway, then continue along past Moor Street station to pickup the X1/X2 route.

I think that's what probably will happen.

Some passengers having had a choice between the X1/X2 and the 60 may not be too happy that their usual X1/X2 bus stop (MS4) now only goes to Walsall and they have to walk to a different bus stop to keep their options open.

I don't use buses in the north side of Birmingham much but I think it may be the same for X51 and other A34 road buses?

It will be the same when the 82/87/50 joining happens I think.
I was guessing they'd go up Livery Street, Colmore Circus, Priory Queensway, Moor Street Queensway and join the 50 route there. Which would mean they'd no longer be able to serve the New Street Station stop.
As if they went the other way down Smallbrook Queensway it'd leave the 89 as the only Dudley Road bus on Colmore Row as well.

It also means the 50 will probably have to move from its current stop outside the Bullring as well, as its facing in the wrong direction.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Just revisiting this topic as I see we are currently just 73 days from the start of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

With the hydrogen buses at Walsall still out of action, and no end in sight to roadworks in Digbeth and along the A45 and A34, is it looking unlikely that this first Sprint route linking Walsall to Birmingham Airport is going to be up and running in time?

My locals:

Tony

QuoteJust revisiting this topic as I see we are currently just 73 days from the start of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

With the hydrogen buses at Walsall still out of action, and no end in sight to roadworks in Digbeth and along the A45 and A34, is it looking unlikely that this first Sprint route linking Walsall to Birmingham Airport is going to be up and running in time?
The A34 & A45 are nearly finished, they will easily be completed on time. Digbeth won't be.

Quote from: Tony on May 16, 2022, 08:38:59 PMThe A34 & A45 are nearly finished, they will easily be completed on time. Digbeth won't be.
Will the 11A/C return to doing a full loop before then as well? Or is the split route going to be permanent? I think A34 works was given as a reason for it being split at the time?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

WM_58

Quote from: :D on February 14, 2021, 10:18:08 AMI think that's what probably will happen.

Some passengers having had a choice between the X1/X2 and the 60 may not be too happy that their usual X1/X2 bus stop (MS4) now only goes to Walsall and they have to walk to a different bus stop to keep their options open.

I don't use buses in the north side of Birmingham much but I think it may be the same for X51 and other A34 road buses?
Surely the new Sprint route will have to be a new standalone route? With it going to Solihull and the airport I don't see how it could be a direct replacement. All I can think is it'll be classed as a new route with the x1 airport shuttle being withdrawn and the x2 service being cut back. 

Quote from: WM_58 on May 16, 2022, 09:11:29 PMSurely the new Sprint route will have to be a new standalone route? With it going to Solihull and the airport I don't see how it could be a direct replacement. All I can think is it'll be classed as a new route with the x1 airport shuttle being withdrawn and the x2 service being cut back.
No such thing as "Airport Shuttle" on the X1. All go to Coventry bar 06.38, 08.15, late night/early mornings.
X2 being cut back would need a replacement on Old Lode Lane as the Sprint route goes straight up Hobs Moat Road? 72 maybe maintaining the direct link to Solihull?

Its not going to the Airport yet though anyway, only Solihull.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: Tony on May 16, 2022, 08:38:59 PMThe A34 & A45 are nearly finished, they will easily be completed on time. Digbeth won't be.
And thats my concern with the Digbeth roadworks, as presumably the Sprint route will be passing through this area, and getting delayed with the other buses because of the congestion.
My locals:

Solo1

Why wasn't digbeth roadworks done in ,3 parts instead of shutting from rainbow pub till Allison st police station 

Tony

QuoteWhy wasn't digbeth roadworks done in ,3 parts instead of shutting from rainbow pub till Allison st police station
Probably would have taken longer, with no actual benefit as there would always be a narrow bottleneck 

BBS

Quote from: 2206 on May 16, 2022, 08:50:25 PMWill the 11A/C return to doing a full loop before then as well? Or is the split route going to be permanent? I think A34 works was given as a reason for it being split at the time?
I think 11A/11C will be back into the loop once the perry barr works are done 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Solo1

Quote from: Tony on May 17, 2022, 03:57:41 PMProbably would have taken longer, with no actual benefit as there would always be a narrow bottleneck
ok as they seem to be doing a bit in different places rater than do one place first

WM_58

Quote from: 2206 on May 16, 2022, 09:14:17 PMNo such thing as "Airport Shuttle" on the X1. All go to Coventry bar 06.38, 08.15, late night/early mornings.
X2 being cut back would need a replacement on Old Lode Lane as the Sprint route goes straight up Hobs Moat Road? 72 maybe maintaining the direct link to Solihull?

Its not going to the Airport yet though anyway, only Solihull.
There used to be. It used to leave international station at around 20 past the hour. I would aim for that one as the X1 coming from Cov would be well loaded but the shuttle would always be pretty much empty. I wasn't aware that it had stopped as I haven't used the buses for a while

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk