News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Preserved Buses

Started by Dylan4579, December 14, 2013, 11:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevo

London specified automatics on most of its deliveries from the 1950s, so the Swifts / Merlins and the DMS Fleetlines had that feature - you just left the gear lever in top and the bus would start in second and change up and down automatically. Now with a Fleetline the worst thing you can do to the transmission is start in second and change gear with the accelerator pedal held down, but that's exactly what LTs vehicles were designed to do. Then they wondered why the gearboxes only lasted a year! The first thing new operators of DMS Fleetlines did was to remove the automatic facility - WMPTE included.

There were some Fleetlines in the Midlands like that - Coventry had some. And the first three Ailsas, 4547-4529, changed automatically.

You couldn't really do it with a National, due to the engine characteristics. London Nationals had a version of the G2 box which had a throttle dip to close the throttle automatically when changing gear, as did Titans and LT Olympians (and GMPTE Atlanteans) but that form of automatic was much better.

Virtually no Lynxes had British gearboxes - WMPTE 1061 - 1066 were unusual in having a Leyland four-speed auto which was virtually unique to them and was not put into production. They were later converted to standard ZF boxes.

Bob

Did the automatic fleet lines sound different to the standard product?  Ie did they not have the SCG whine ( that was even louder in VRs) that pte fleetlines and nbc REs had?

Stevo

All Fleetlines had a special version of the Daimatic gearbox where the output shaft came out at the same end as the input shaft, but at right angles to it - it is the right-angle drive that whines in a Fleetline, not the gearbox proper, which is nearly inaudible. Automatics had the same box and sounded the same - London DMSs just started in second and changed up on full throttle. The CAV automatic, fitted to 3905 (I think) and one of two others had a throttle dip that closed the throttle for a smooth change - just like the Titan and others. Trouble was it soon went out of adjustment and the gearbox would go into neutral with the throttle wide open, or the opposite would happen - the throttle would close with the gear still engaged, causing a jerk backwards. Happy days! The CAVs were soon removed.

don

Quote from: Stevo on June 04, 2014, 05:45:19 PM
Automatics had the same box and sounded the same - London DMSs just started in second and changed up on full throttle.

No wonder they broke down so often!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

don

Quote from: don on June 04, 2014, 11:50:09 PM
Quote from: Stevo on June 04, 2014, 05:45:19 PM
Automatics had the same box and sounded the same - London DMSs just started in second and changed up on full throttle.

Ah London Transport - great in many ways, and loved by most - but fancy re-designing elements of a highly successful vehicle thereby making them grossly unreliable!! Not the only example IIRC - didn't they have a batch of AEC Reliances which they re-designed - which also became grossly unreliable (RC class)?

I know they had to do a lot to get the unions to allow people to drive their buses (such as raising the driver position of a Fleetline so the driver was almost at horse bus level - touching the lower deck ceiling almost) - I'm surprised they didn't have to fit them with offside sliding doors!! But much of the tinkering seemed to be engineering and beaurocracy led.

There must have been a vast amount of public money wasted in those far off days!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

John

Midland Red Leopard 'JHA 234L' was on the Chester Road this morning. Came up to Orphanage Rd Island, and did a U-turn back towards the Bagot. It then parked up opposite Pype Hayes Park

D10

The new edition of Bus and Coach Preservation magazine has features on Midland Red S22 5905 and WMT Metrobus 3057 if any one is interested. :)

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: D10 on June 07, 2014, 09:11:59 PM
The new edition of Bus and Coach Preservation magazine has features on Midland Red S22 5905 and WMT Metrobus 3057 if any one is interested. :)

Was the S22 that mix between a bus & a coach? Sure we had 5908 & 5911 at Stourbridge.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Roy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 07, 2014, 09:37:37 PM
Was the S22 that mix between a bus & a coach? Sure we had 5908 & 5911 at Stourbridge.

You are right - they were dual-purpose vehicles.

According to the website http://midlandred.net/history/wmpte.shtml, 5908 was transferred from Midland Red to WMPTE in December 1973 at Harts Hill, transferred to Stourbridge in June 1976 and withdrawn in June 1978.  5911 was transferred in 1973 at Stourbridge and was withdrawn from there in April 1979.  5910 was also at Stourbridge in December 1973 and was withdrawn in April 1979.

This site has some good stuff for those of us who can remember the 1970's.

Trident 4609

West Bromwich Corporation Daimler CVG5 (Number-Plate FEA 156) passed me on the Cannock Rd near the Scotlands this morning.

andrew1991

Quote from: Nathan on June 07, 2014, 10:11:56 PM
West Bromwich Corporation Daimler CVG5 (Number-Plate FEA 156) passed me on the Cannock Rd near the Scotlands this morning.

Passed me on stafford road by falkland street coach park at around 9:10am with Dudley.on the side destination

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Roy on June 07, 2014, 10:06:26 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 07, 2014, 09:37:37 PM

You are right - they were dual-purpose vehicles.

According to the website http://midlandred.net/history/wmpte.shtml, 5908 was transferred from Midland Red to WMPTE in December 1973 at Harts Hill, transferred to Stourbridge in June 1976 and withdrawn in June 1978.  5911 was transferred in 1973 at Stourbridge and was withdrawn from there in April 1979.  5910 was also at Stourbridge in December 1973 and was withdrawn in April 1979.

This site has some good stuff for those of us who can remember the 1970's.

Thanks Roy, that is a brilliant site and brings back some memories, have to say the s22s & s23s looked better in Midland Red livery, the WMPTE livery din't suit them and to me made them look shabby!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

horsencart

Towards the end of their life the Midland Red  and WMPTE looked shabby these are mainly Stourbridge buses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/13129383873/in/set-72157631077349924 

Trident 4609

My grandad told me that a double decker in "West Bromwich Corporation Colours" past him on the Cannock Rd in Wolverhampton at the weekend

Rob H

A Red double decker passed through Sheldon about 10-15 minutes ago heading towards Birmingham couldn't tell which type of vehicle it was or if it had any other colour besides the red as I seen it from my front door.
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk