News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Wrightbus volvo b6le

Started by 2900, July 16, 2014, 12:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Had ride on 534 as passenger sat near the front  I,m no fan of these b6le for a bus that's not from being 18 years  old this bus rode and rattled far less than 18 month enviro tin can 200 , not bad at all this bus , soon to be consigned to the history books , I bet we,ll change our views on these volvos when they,ve gone may be not that bad after all.

nitromatt1

680 is a great machine as I'm sure you know. Not forgetting also 555 up Wolves.

I forget the number , there is a b6le being canabalised at west brom seems strange to be robbing parts from it , considering the numbers that have scrapped there should sufficient parts on the shelves at miller street one would think.

I may have driven it once in the past , the routes I do aren't b6le routes so it's extremely rare for me to drive them , I get the impression the later ones do seem half decent . I had one years back it absolutely flew I remember being well impressed with that vehicle shame I don't remember the fleet number.

Sh4318

Quote from: 2900 on July 16, 2014, 12:19:21 AM
Had ride on 534 as passenger sat near the front  I,m no fan of these b6le for a bus that's not from being 18 years  old this bus rode and rattled far less than 18 month enviro tin can 200 , not bad at all this bus , soon to be consigned to the history books , I bet we,ll change our views on these volvos when they,ve gone may be not that bad after all.

I think people already have, at least it seems like they are very well liked recently. I think they're alright, they've been around for a very long time, so I have a lot of memories based around them, they've served well on the 444/447 routes (now withdrawn) that ran close by me, they have their faults though, they seem very wobbly for a passenger, at times I've had to hold onto grab handles and seat handles to stop myself from wobbling all over the place, and of course, the seating isn't brilliant.
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

P419 EJW

I love, love, love B6LEs! I don't care what people say about them - mostly bad things about them. I love them! @2900, try to go on 584 one day. It's so bouncy. ;) I had a ride on 584 on 45, I had the most brilliant ride I ever had, every time 584 went over a road bump, it bounced for like 10 seconds. One time, the driver had to go in the middle because of parked cars! Slowly going over, front wheels went over, slowly going, back wheels started to go over but at the same time, the driver accelerated, the bus bounced high and made all of us lift off of our seats! It was so funny! ;D Will miss 584.

But other B6s were/are great. I still travel on them (and B10Ls) to make the most of it!! WA B6s are great on 335/336, will miss bouncy B6s.

B6s were, of course, underpowered but it was funny to hear the roaring sound as they struggled going up the hill and going up on 5mph, like 283 in Lodge Farm.

Kevin

My dislike for them is based purely on the lack of legroom for a 6foot 4 man like me, plus their inability to get uphill.
Beyond that they are ace little buses
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Trident 4609

Quote from: Matt on July 16, 2014, 12:26:29 AM
680 is a great machine as I'm sure you know. Not forgetting also 555 up Wolves.

555 is still screaming away like it did at PE ;)

bubble2899

I preferred Excels as they look more stylish with more comfortable seats and a better layout. They were also better to drive. The only main disadvantage was the gears especially on the short wheelbase ones.

As a passenger  I always try to get the seat next to the rear emergency exit great legroom there, I agree that most other seats on the raised section legroom is tight  , the seat over the rear left wheel hump is ridiculous  knees up in your chest not good.

Never driven an exel can't comment on driving charatistics of these buses , travelled on a number of diamond examples I noticed the windscreen shake in its gasket remember thinking great build quality , lots of cheap plastic every where.

karl724223

Drove B6s from new was one of the first drivers to drive 551 in the original livery it came in on 238 drove them up until the end of them at pensnett
555 was called scooby after the car as it was fast

bubble2899

I think the names have all gone now. There was snail speedy  and a smokey. Not sure of the rest of them.606 was bob!

Liverpool Street

The B6 was awesome! I like them, and have never disliked them. Give me a B6 over a E200 any day.

I think 634 was called Scooby because of how quick it was, and there was another one just called "SHED" - I think it was 638? I can't remember anything any more :(
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

karl724223

Ex travel Dundee 116/7/8/9 was called jock Nessie haggis and kilt at pensnett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk