News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Removal of Hop Tickets.

Started by 2206, March 29, 2024, 05:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From Sunday 7th April 2024 Hop Tickets will be removed. This includes:
- Short Hop.
- University Hop.
- Birmingham City Hop.

A notice is on 4873 this evening.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

the trainbasher

So effectively NXWM are becoming flat fare on all routes then

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

j789

The £2 max fare offer will likely continue for the foreseeable future, the hop fare would have had to rise in contrast anyway so would likely have ended up being £1.80 so hardly any point keeping it. Far easier for passengers to have a flat fare, £2 is easy to remember too and very good value really even for a short hop.

Westy

Wasnt people abusing that fare as well?

Coventrybususer95

I see there keeping the Warwick uni hopper tickets
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Westy on March 30, 2024, 06:28:59 AMWasnt people abusing that fare as well?

Yes People would use it from Dudley to Birmingham or Willenhall to Darlaston, I accidentally stayed on for longer than I should have with it once I caught the 79 at the Top of Darlaston Road Blakedon Road stop I think and was heading to Darlaston, the Short Hop said I should have got of on Dangerfield Lane Margaret Road but I got off at Darlaston. But I guess that ay much distance and is still quiet short compared to people using it for entire journeys or long journeys 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Stu

Quote from: Westy on March 30, 2024, 06:28:59 AMWasnt people abusing that fare as well?

I imagine there were a fair few people who did take advantage, and that might be a reason for their withdrawal.

However I find it interesting that the Warwick Uni hop appears to be being retained by NX Coventry, while the Birmingham equivalent is going.

Maybe its down to lack of use as well? I always imagined that uni students without cars would probably have bus passes anyway, if they weren't cycling everywhere.

Perhaps the Warwick Uni hop is better used, and worth keeping, or maybe it is funded by University Of Warwick?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on March 30, 2024, 05:52:13 PMI imagine there were a fair few people who did take advantage, and that might be a reason for their withdrawal.

However I find it interesting that the Warwick Uni hop appears to be being retained by NX Coventry, while the Birmingham equivalent is going.

Maybe its down to lack of use as well? I always imagined that uni students without cars would probably have bus passes anyway, if they weren't cycling everywhere.

Perhaps the Warwick Uni hop is better used, and worth keeping, or maybe it is funded by University Of Warwick?

I used to see loads of these sold on the X21/X22 between the City and Selly Oak. Including at the student accommodation at Vale Village as well. So i'd strongly doubt that it is lack of use. And i'd doubt the cycling is that popular as well.

I'd suspect its more the later as Warwick University also fund the 41/42 services.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Wba_lad

I'll be honest the withdrawal of this ticket is a shame for the people who actually used the ticket as it should have been used. However there was once somone got on in Walsall bus station and asked for a single to caldmore this is a short hop ticket but he stayed on the bus well after stone cross and it happened to be that the revenue inspectors was on all saints way doing checks and they got on and pulled him off the bus. 

I can see why national express are doing this as they are trying to make their tickets more simpler by having fewer tickets. Plus the short hop would of keep increasing to a point where would of probably been more expensive than the £2 government cap Scheme so was probably just best to withdraw the shop hop and make all tickets £2.

AndrewLee

Another factor is it speeds up loading as the driver doesn't have to press three buttons to load up the ticket if the passenger wishes to pay by card. The Uni Hop has been withdrawn from the contactless menu for a while now, for that reason. 

Rachvince53

Diamond Bus have also withdrawn the Short Hop in the West Midlands. 

Wumpty

Quote from: Rachvince53 on April 09, 2024, 04:58:34 PMDiamond Bus have also withdrawn the Short Hop in the West Midlands.
Quote from: 2206 on March 29, 2024, 05:51:56 PMFrom Sunday 7th April 2024 Hop Tickets will be removed. This includes:
- Short Hop.
- University Hop.
- Birmingham City Hop.

A notice is on 4873 this evening.
Perhaps a subtle move to position fare structures ready for a TfL style of integrated bus services?
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk