News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Mobile ticketing

Started by mesub, September 13, 2022, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB50

Quote from: 2206 on November 16, 2022, 08:44:32 PMOn 1863 tonight I noticed about 10 people try and scan the M tickets and the reader didn't scan any of them. The driver told them just carry on.

On Saturday I tried for the first time and I struggled on first bus but for the rest of the day I had no problems. If you hold it too close then it doesn't work need to hold it from a slight distance.

Westy

Admittedly I use a Swift card, but I would guess, because I use them myself, it's probably similar in use to a bar code gun scanner, where you have to fiddle with the position of the gun in relation to the bar code.

You can't do it really at an angle, plus you have to hope the image or reader can read properly!

Our guns have their 'moments ', so I suspect so do the QR codes & scanners.

I noticed that on multi packs of cigarettes, that have QR codes on, the printed code can sometimes be damaged, so it's unreadable.

Do any operators printed tickets have QR codes on?

Think Diamond do Istr, but on the occasions I've had tickets from them, I've had no problems!

Gareth

It's just one more thing to slow down and disrupt an already awful service.

Passengers get on and show their ticket to the driver. Get called back to scan them. Spend time trying to scan only for it not to work so get waved past anyway.
Wouldn't be so bad if bus services were 'normal' but they're not. It's just another delay.

Quote from: Westy on November 16, 2022, 10:30:35 PMDo any operators printed tickets have QR codes on?

Think Diamond do Istr, but on the occasions I've had tickets from them, I've had no problems!
Some First areas have QR codes on printed tickets I believe.
Arriva, Diamond, First operations all have ticketer machines I believe as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

markcf83

Quote from: 2206 on November 16, 2022, 10:46:07 PMSome First areas have QR codes on printed tickets I believe.
Arriva, Diamond, First operations all have ticketer machines I believe as well.
They're joke ticket machines. 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Ginger66

I previously used bank card and on one journey by card failed to read but these could be do with bank wanting me to verify it is me to chip and pin to verify its is I using card.   I have been using Mobile ticket since late 2021 and it's a lot better as I don't have keep getting bank card out.

From what i have experience'ed mobile fraud use has dropped drastically but now the persistent fraudsters have moved to paper tickets which are either scrumpled up or folded up in certain manner or placed in mobile fone case which are dark and hard to read, the sandwell dudley weekly which was rampant on phones for miss use, now those folks  showing paper tickets instead in brum zones.

Stu

Quote from: 2900 on December 05, 2022, 11:41:37 AMFrom what i have experience'ed mobile fraud use has dropped drastically but now the persistent fraudsters have moved to paper tickets which are either scrumpled up or folded up in certain manner or placed in mobile fone case which are dark and hard to read, the sandwell dudley weekly which was rampant on phones for miss use, now those folks  showing paper tickets instead in brum zones.
I wonder how long it will be before the paper Daysavers have QR codes printed on them?

On your other point, I was behind a woman the other day, I couldn't see what was on her phone screen, but when she was scanning her QR code, the reader was rejecting it with a message "Invalid at this location". After a couple of attempts, she showed the phone to the driver and he just waved her on.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

QuoteI wonder how long it will be before the paper Daysavers have QR codes printed on them?

On your other point, I was behind a woman the other day, I couldn't see what was on her phone screen, but when she was scanning her QR code, the reader was rejecting it with a message "Invalid at this location". After a couple of attempts, she showed the phone to the driver and he just waved her on.
Invalid at this location is normally an area ticket being used in Birmingham

Quote from: Stu on December 05, 2022, 06:53:25 PMI wonder how long it will be before the paper Daysavers have QR codes printed on them?

This happens a lot when the innit System hasn't automatically updated the correct location.

Stu

Quote from: 979 on December 05, 2022, 08:44:15 PMThis happens a lot when the innit System hasn't automatically updated the correct location.

I suppose that's a possibility, but this was on the 3 in south Birmingham, and the bus was tracking correctly.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk