News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Destination displays

Started by Gareth, February 23, 2022, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNH2004

How long does it for all buses to have the new style of destination blinds

CL

Quote from: Tony on March 10, 2022, 02:57:35 PM
PB & BC shared blinds before as did AG & YW
That was my question; whether that's the case now, now that it's been/being done in house
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

RW

Two 67's on Chester Road outside Castle Vale both apparently going to 'Birmingham via Tyburn Road". Problem, one was outbound the other inbound. In any event as far as I understand the route is never outside Birmingham so how their destination was 'Birmingham' is beyond me. Whatever happened to the more useful information of 'City Centre' and 'Castle Vale'?

Quote from: RW on March 10, 2022, 06:37:30 PM
Two 67's on Chester Road outside Castle Vale both apparently going to 'Birmingham via Tyburn Road". Problem, one was outbound the other inbound. In any event as far as I understand the route is never outside Birmingham so how their destination was 'Birmingham' is beyond me. Whatever happened to the more useful information of 'City Centre' and 'Castle Vale'?
They do display Castle Vale.
Driver probably forgot to change the display in City.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

For routes showing 'Birmingham' as the destination, the assumption given is that it means "Birmingham City Centre".

Same applies really for routes showing Dudley, Wolverhampton, Walsall, Solihull etc, the assumption is the destination is the town/city centre or principal bus station/interchange.

As has been pointed out, in your case, the destination hadn't been updated for the outbound trip, as simple as that.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

sandboy20

Quite agree, I have been harking on about this for some time. At least, unlike Coventry, you don't have displays showing "via Birmingham" though that presumably because being larger Birmingham doesn't have any cross city services. I can only assume someone has decided passengers need continually reminding of what city/town they are in lest it has slipped their memory.

Tony

Quote from: sandboy20 on March 12, 2022, 11:16:07 AM
Quite agree, I have been harking on about this for some time. At least, unlike Coventry, you don't have displays showing "via Birmingham" though that presumably because being larger Birmingham doesn't have any cross city services. I can only assume someone has decided passengers need continually reminding of what city/town they are in lest it has slipped their memory.

Birmingham is different to Coventry as the vast majority of services start outside Birmingham

Wumpty

Finally found the font for WMPTE/WMT fleet numbers (and  in the process of trying to recreate them too!)
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

MasterPlan

Looks like both the 45 and 47 flip between Pershore Road and Cotteridge. Which I find odd as I thought one of the points of this was to differentiate routes on corridors.

Also from what I've seen, no YW buses have been done.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: Stu on March 10, 2022, 07:18:03 PM
For routes showing 'Birmingham' as the destination, the assumption given is that it means "Birmingham City Centre".
The X12 does show Birmingham City Centre I noticed. And I noticed like how the other routes side display alternates between Birmingham and via point, the X12 display on 7529 was alternating between Birmingham and City Centre.
I think X12 is the only route to show it in full.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

I don't get the big fuss about displays showing 'Birmingham'. 95% of people will know it means City Centre.
I mean, how far the other way do you go? Change X22 to say Wood Lane? I mean, Woodgate is vague right...
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

B.C Driver

14 destination is much improved, showing via Alum Rock and Stechford, Lea Village and Tile Cross. Much better than just via Alum Rock as previously.

As for 'Birmingham' I would much prefer 'City Centre' as was always the case years ago.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

mesub

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 22, 2022, 07:24:43 AM
I don't get the big fuss about displays showing 'Birmingham'. 95% of people will know it means City Centre.
I mean, how far the other way do you go? Change X22 to say Wood Lane? I mean, Woodgate is vague right...

Or Kempsley House  ;D
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Different variation of the 94 display seen on 4620 today.  via Ward End and via Smiths Wood.
Smiths Wood rather than Castle Bromwich.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

mesub

I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the new short working blinds. I preferred when the E was superscript and there was a part route section at the bottom, as (in my opinion) it utilised the destination display better.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk