News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Proposed NX takeover of Stagecoach

Started by RW, September 21, 2021, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Stu on September 21, 2021, 07:08:16 PM
Nationally, National Express is better known as a coach operator, they only operate buses in the West Midlands now, whereas Stagecoach is a well known name for bus operations across the UK. So I suppose there is the possibility that NX West Midlands and NX Coventry could be added to the existing Stagecoach Midlands operations. But still, that would require a lot of work to get 1500+ vehicles repainted and reliveried.
I can't see the need to repaint the familiar crimson/platinum vehicles in the West Mids into Stagecoach livery,  even if they were renamed to "stagecoach" would make sense to keep the local livery.
Otherwise maybe a NX Warwickshire fleetname perhaps running the routes in the Stratford, Warwick, etc areas as that area is next to the West Midlands?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

BK63 YWP

If this merger would to happen, I could see similar mergers happening with first and Arriva?

In regards to brands would say to drop the Stagecoach new livery and maybe have two tone variations around the country? Drop the NX name for a simple area name (excluding cities like Manchester who wants to go down the line as Transport for GM buses)

Xplore South West as a region operator and maybe likes of Plymouth getting a localised brand?

Obviously speculation there but with NX having the bigger share, they will have the final say on branding and restructuring.
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on September 21, 2021, 07:13:16 PM
I can't see the need to repaint the familiar crimson/platinum vehicles in the West Mids into Stagecoach livery,  even if they were renamed to "stagecoach" would make sense to keep the local livery.
Otherwise maybe a NX Warwickshire fleetname perhaps running the routes in the Stratford, Warwick, etc areas as that area is next to the West Midlands?

Like I said, "possibility". And also like I said "I don't really see much changing, maybe not at first anyway".

But then again, its not the likes of you or me who will be making these decisions, who knows what they've got planned for the long-term strategy.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ginger66

I think there would be some major reorganisation of operations to reflect the new company [If the merger goes ahead}

Such as the Stagecoach East Midlands [East Midland Operations], Stagecoach Midlands and NX West Midlands been one operating brand.

Steveminor

Could be wrong but I don't think any stagecoach business uses cash vaults so interchanging of vehicles between nx & stagecoach would be unlikely so they could keep separate identities.

Quote from: Steveminor on September 21, 2021, 09:00:47 PM
Could be wrong but I don't think any stagecoach business uses cash vaults so interchanging of vehicles between nx & stagecoach would be unlikely so they could keep separate identities.
Can they not install the cash vaults if needed?
The exact fare policy has always worked in the West Mids, so could work elsewhere as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on September 21, 2021, 09:01:40 PM
Can they not install the cash vaults if needed?

Of course you can, and it is even easier to remove them, see fleetnumbers 729 & 730 acquired from ATG group for examples

the trainbasher

Pity London has that annoying 100% rule in place otherwise Crimson would have been ideal for that fleet (isn't one of the Crimson Reds near enough the same as the London red?

Plus tbf the current route branding style is way better that what London trialled

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

mikestone

Presumably in normal circumstances the competition authorities would have insisted on the sale of Stagecoach's Warwickshire operation, but who knows now?

Steveminor

Quote from: Tony on September 21, 2021, 09:04:19 PM
Of course you can, and it is even easier to remove them, see fleetnumbers 729 & 730 acquired from ATG group for examples

Easy enough to say & yes easy enough to do but why waste the time energy and money when you can just compartmentalise the fleets

metrocity

Quote from: mikestone on September 22, 2021, 10:25:25 AM
Presumably in normal circumstances the competition authorities would have insisted on the sale of Stagecoach's Warwickshire operation, but who knows now?
The other challenge is that Coventry is due to be 100% electric bus within a couple of years making the operation less attractive for an acqusition

ellspurs

To be fair, would there be a competition review on the bus operation? The only corridors NX and Stagecoach compete on are the Nuneaton - Coventry and Coventry - Warwick Uni - Leamington corridors. Stagecoach operate within all the major towns and villages in Warwickshire (except Coleshill/Water Orton).

The main issue would be with the coach operations, as there aren't any nationwide options for coach apart from Megabus and National Express. Flixbus hasn't spread out so widely let, and the services from Bharat and Thandi are geared at certain communities. I could envision Megabus being sold out to someone, with Oxford Tube and some other popular direct services being retained.

Steveminor

I believe flixbus hold a considerable market share at present a they share concentrating on the more lucrative services

ellspurs

Quote from: Steveminor on September 22, 2021, 05:54:27 PM
I believe flixbus hold a considerable market share at present a they share concentrating on the more lucrative services

I hadn't thought that Flixbus had spread out as far in the UK yet. I know they're extensive in Europe (and I had an excellent journey using them from Poznan to Berlin and back), but I only see 49 UK stops on their map, a high proportion of which in the South West.

Steveminor

They have Manchester Leeds Liverpool & the Scotland services, they've been quietly growing their network.

Note Thandi are no longer a flixbus operator hence the step back at present from Midlands operations

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk