News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

First Bus - Wyvern

Started by nitromatt1, June 05, 2014, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardjones210368

Quote from: Cedric on December 09, 2019, 12:26:58 PM
A BIG IF  rotala  did   buy Worcester   (which I think is very unlikely it would give the more workshop and paintshop   space in  the midlands  and  more safer storeage  for withdrawn  vehicles
Cedric I think Diamond are looking towards more of a Hereford style closedown than actually spending capital to buy,  its a bit of basket case yes last years accounts showed a profit instead of a loss for once but when you work the margins out they are painfully low and anyone buying it would have to do major write downs on their Balance Sheet simply to break even. It is interesting to read Simon Dunns comments on turning round Bolton after First on the forum this morning you would expect similar problems at Padmore Street Mind you me & my mate look forward to coming back from the gym and & baths at Tipton on a night simply to see what's on fire today at Diamond that's a fair point you make about the scrap line and Padmore Street when I was there there were plans to sell it off for redevelopment along with Heron Lodge and move like Kiddy to new premises and then they went on a blind date with GRT.........

richardjones210368

Is it just me or this just issued by First Marketing sums up everything that is wrong with First Midland Red Buses Limited and its priorities?

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 09, 2019, 08:27:42 PM
Is it just me or this just issued by First Marketing sums up everything that is wrong with First Midland Red Buses Limited and its priorities? The photo is from MidlandRed.net

Not sure what is wrong with First sponsoring a charitable cause, nearly all big companies do it

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on December 09, 2019, 08:31:24 PM
Not sure what is wrong with First sponsoring a charitable cause, nearly all big companies do it
My argument is the companies inability to focus on its current failings I would want as an accountant the company to be restored to financial sucess before the management focused on peripheral  activities. It suggests a company that is not focusing on its core activities to me I am not disputing the aims it just breaks every rule of Maslows Hierarchy of Needs.

D10

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 09, 2019, 08:37:39 PM
My argument is the companies inability to focus on its current failings I would want as an accountant the company to be restored to financial sucess before the management focused on peripheral  activities. It suggests a company that is not focusing on its core activities to me I am not disputing the aims it just breaks every rule of Maslows Hierarchy of Needs.

Surely being seen to support community projects helps to improve any companies public profile, and is good for staff morale at a time when difficult decisions are being made. Good PR and promotional marketing is not a peripheral activity for any large business, and First must employee Marketing and or Community staff who work across the group who would have no involvement anyway in service decisions.

richardjones210368

Quote from: D10 on December 09, 2019, 08:53:11 PM
Surely being seen to support community projects helps to improve any companies public profile, and is good for staff morale at a time when difficult decisions are being made. Good PR and promotional marketing is not a peripheral activity for any large business, and First must employee Marketing and or Community staff who work across the group who would have no involvement anyway in service decisions.
If I was the management accountant at MRW ; & that is where my training contract was with Badgerline Holdings & there are none at Padmore St now; I would want to get the companies in a fit financial state with a top down fiscal analysis on what is going wrong, where are our margins in line with the industry, what is fleet age profile, what is the staff churn rate & why is our pubic perception so low throwing money at a charity while worthy does the company no gain in the long run when it is detested by its customers does it? That's my point that it sums up what is wrong  at First Midland Red Buses Ltd and its lack of a focus of its priorities I am not aware of a National Express West Midlands Santa Bus and are they not a more sucessfull company or correct me if I am wrong? Mind you with nothing to do on Boxing Day I am sure Diamond Bus would welcome Santa with open arms to do a Boxing Day Duty Working obviously a safe a pair hands on a Mellor isnt he?

D10

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 09, 2019, 09:08:34 PM
If I was the management accountant at MRW ; & that is where my training contract was with Badgerline Holdings & there are none at Padmore St now; I would want to get the companies in a fit financial state with a top down fiscal analysis on what is going wrong, where are our margins in line with the industry, what is fleet age profile, what is the staff churn rate & why is our pubic perception so low throwing money at a charity while worthy does the company no gain in the long run when it is detested by its customers does it? That's my point that it sums up what is wrong  at First Midland Red Buses Ltd and its lack of a focus of its priorities I am not aware of a National Express West Midlands Santa Bus and are they not a more sucessfull company or correct me if I am wrong? Mind you with nothing to do on Boxing Day I am sure Diamond Bus would welcome Santa with open arms to do a Boxing Day Duty Working obviously a safe a pair hands on a Mellor isnt he?

As I said, the person who probably thought of this had no say in some of the difficult decisions, they are just doing their own job!

And as for NX, not I don't think there is a Santa Bus. But, there has been St Patrick's Day, Pride, Halloween buses etc. All done by staff members who want to do their bit, whilst other managers and senior staff are doing their more difficult to accept jobs to increase profits.

richardjones210368

Quote from: D10 on December 09, 2019, 09:20:13 PM
As I said, the person who probably thought of this had no say in some of the difficult decisions, they are just doing their own job!

And as for NX, not I don't think there is a Santa Bus. But, there has been St Patrick's Day, Pride, Halloween buses etc. All done by staff members who want to do their bit, whilst other managers and senior staff are doing their more difficult to accept jobs to increase profits.
Yes I understand your train of thought completely and I agree with you but an  organization should be coherant top down and bottom up and in no way am I critising the cause and the aims but to me it shows all what is wrong with Firsts organizational structure which I why I quoted Maslow it breaks my heart what is going on at Midland Red West it was such a happy place and customer focused when I was there with a sound business strategy and you look at it today.

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 09, 2019, 09:08:34 PM

National Express gives many thousands of pounds to charities, see
https://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/our-way/case-studies/community/employee-charity-panel/

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on December 09, 2019, 10:03:25 PM

National Express gives many thousands of pounds to charities, see
https://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/our-way/case-studies/community/employee-charity-panel/
Thats not my point National Express PLC is now a very sucessfull company but I doubt you did the same when you were under siege from the Spanish & Stagecoach can you despite me standing in the cold for a photoshoot & launch at Crewe today say the same about FirstGroup PLC?

Trident 4194

Well my 144 today to brum was busier than the 63 was behind it. Very full service seems a shame to pull the plug basically

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 10, 2019, 08:50:21 PM
Well my 144 today to brum was busier than the 63 was behind it. Very full service seems a shame to pull the plug basically

As I've said in the most profitable route thread, full bus doesn't mean profitably if the passengers arevtravelling long distances at discounted fares

winston

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 10, 2019, 08:50:21 PM

First Group have instructed Worcester and other operations to simply cut Pvr to boost margins before First UK Bus sale, the 144 is the result of this, as it must now be Worcester depots biggest Pvr route.

fleetline6477

What is happening to the frequency of 144A as it currently provides a 15 minute frequency between Worcester and Catshill?

MW

Quote from: Winston on December 10, 2019, 09:51:57 PM
First Group have instructed Worcester and other operations to simply cut Pvr to boost margins before First UK Bus sale, the 144 is the result of this, as it must now be Worcester depots biggest Pvr route.

Good opportunity for Rotala/NX to muscle in on the 144 here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk