News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

First Bus - Wyvern

Started by nitromatt1, June 05, 2014, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on November 24, 2022, 07:09:15 PMThis is why we warn people not to get 'carried away' when looking at bus registrations/variations.

In this case, the route has stayed registered as Birmingham to Worcester for whatever reason, but the previous registrations will have been to alter the registered timetable and/or stopping points, and that is then reflected in the route correctly showing in data feeds as only running between Catshill and Worcester.
https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0000480/11

I don't know how this system works because I don't run a bus company, but perhaps changing the 'From' and 'To' details requires deregistering the service and submitting a new registration, that's a pure guess as I don't know what's involved, maybe it is much more straight-forward but someone didn't think it was that important.

Then again, that gets people 'excited' too when they see registrations showing as Cancelled...

It is an interesting one to be honest , why some get changed and some don't. It's not like it's a small change either like Longbridge to Rednal or something like that. 
I mean, NX 48 has changed to West Brom to QE Hosptial on the new registration so I am intrigued as to what the difference is.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Solo1

Cedric

is the rumor i have heard right first worceter bus operations are being  sold  to another midlands opertor
diamond 8\10/125/292

winston

Quote from: Cedric on January 18, 2023, 12:08:47 PMis the rumor i have heard right first worceter bus operations are being  sold  to another midlands opertor
I believe First Group may have now agreed a sale of the land Padmore St depot is built on to a developer, not sure if the sale has gone through yet

samuel derrington

Quote from: Cedric on January 18, 2023, 12:08:47 PMis the rumor i have heard right first worceter bus operations are being  sold  to another midlands opertor
Where have you heard this from can I ask 

Bethhart2022

The land is for sale for the shrub Hill development but they are getting a new depot somewhere in Worcester and Worcester isn't getting sold off to another operator at all they are under first west of England they could of got sold on if they was still under potteries 

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: Bethhart2022 on January 18, 2023, 12:57:10 PMThe land is for sale for the shrub Hill development but they are getting a new depot somewhere in Worcester and Worcester isn't getting sold off to another operator at all they are under first west of England they could of got sold on if they was still under potteries
Actually, they were under "Midlands and South Yorkshire" not just "Potteries".
However whilst under "Midlands and South Yorkshire" it was mentioned by the then MD quite a few times, that services in Worcester were struggling compared to other areas.
Whilst First may have tried to improve it under the Bristol / West of England, it doesn't mean as 1 entity "Worcester" they won't sell it off. If it doesn't perform they will get rid.. happened across several areas in the past, most recently part of Manchester!
That said, as they only changed operation area last year, I'd like to hope they trial it at least for 1 year!

winston

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on January 20, 2023, 02:08:21 PMActually, they were under "Midlands and South Yorkshire" not just "Potteries".
However whilst under "Midlands and South Yorkshire" it was mentioned by the then MD quite a few times, that services in Worcester were struggling compared to other areas.
Whilst First may have tried to improve it under the Bristol / West of England, it doesn't mean as 1 entity "Worcester" they won't sell it off. If it doesn't perform they will get rid.. happened across several areas in the past, most recently part of Manchester!
That said, as they only changed operation area last year, I'd like to hope they trial it at least for 1 year!
First could also simply shut the Worcester operation down to save having to find a new depot i.e. as per First Southampton which closes down next month. Worcester is pretty small & isolated from the rest of their operations.

That said a sale of the operations or transfer to another operator would be the best solution.

Rachvince53

Quote from: winston on January 20, 2023, 03:33:50 PMFirst could also simply shut the Worcester operation down to save having to find a new depot i.e. as per First Southampton which closes down next month. Worcester is pretty small & isolated from the rest of their operations.

That said a sale of the operations or transfer to another operator would be the best solution.
Could Rotala add it to their existing Worcestershire operations, thus uniting much of the former Midland Red West operations (minus Hereford)?  

DD12

I think First should stay in Worcester but ditch everything except the 30 and 35, and keep all school-time journeys  and contracts ( = PROFITABLE ). It would then be up to the county and city councils to cough-up a huge amount to subsidise whatever else they think is needed, - giving the work to any operator ( - like Diamond) that can find the drivers and mechanics, and somewhere to park and maintain the vehicles.

Ridership of these subsidised services will not grow, because of frequent delays of 45 minutes due to constant traffic jams and the ongoing,  appalling road "management" by those who are responsible (and PAID by us).

First should refuse to budge from their city centre depot until an equally suitable site is provided and is suitable for the electric and hydrogen buses of the near-future.

IF First sell Worcester, to Diamond (say) it won't be long before they (Diamond) realise they've "bought a pup"  !!

winston

Quote from: Rachvince53 on January 20, 2023, 04:27:12 PMCould Rotala add it to their existing Worcestershire operations, thus uniting much of the former Midland Red West operations (minus Hereford)? 
Yes - but would most likely still need another depot closer to Worcester than their existing Worcestershire Depots

j789

Quote from: DD12 on January 20, 2023, 04:29:20 PMI think First should stay in Worcester but ditch everything except the 30 and 35, and keep all school-time journeys  and contracts ( = PROFITABLE ). It would then be up to the county and city councils to cough-up a huge amount to subsidise whatever else they think is needed, - giving the work to any operator ( - like Diamond) that can find the drivers and mechanics, and somewhere to park and maintain the vehicles.

Ridership of these subsidised services will not grow, because of frequent delays of 45 minutes due to constant traffic jams and the ongoing,  appalling road "management" by those who are responsible (and PAID by us).

First should refuse to budge from their city centre depot until an equally suitable site is provided and is suitable for the electric and hydrogen buses of the near-future.

IF First sell Worcester, to Diamond (say) it won't be long before they (Diamond) realise they've "bought a pup"  !!

There are a good number of routes in Worcester that can 'pay' their way in normal circumstances- the X50, 44 Malvern, the Tolladine road services, etc.

It wasn't that long ago the 44 was operating every 10 mins and gaining new passengers at a substantial rate. Then COVID hit and those increases were wiped out pretty much overnight. It's a tough operation in Worcester these days and the council certainly don't help matters with only limited support. However, it's not beyond salvage with a bit of longer term thinking, sadly lacking in many areas of our industry and the government currently though.

uniquicity

"46" has survived another day. Does sound like a bag of nails though

markcf83

Quote from: winston on January 20, 2023, 03:33:50 PMFirst could also simply shut the Worcester operation down to save having to find a new depot i.e. as per First Southampton which closes down next month. Worcester is pretty small & isolated from the rest of their operations.

Isn't the Worcester operations now managed by Bristol? 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

the trainbasher

QuoteIsn't the Worcester operations now managed by Bristol?
Yep, its effectivly a return to Midland Red and Badgerline

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk