News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Another big order announced today

Started by Tony, January 26, 2023, 05:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

National Express West Midlands is investing £150 million in 300 UK-made electric zero emission buses, for delivery by the end of December 2024. The buses will be deployed across the West Midlands.

https://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/media/news-releases/2023/national-express-west-midlands-invests-record-150-million-in-300-uk-made-electric-zero-emission-buses/

winston

Can NX spec them Autonomous, that will save the issue of no drivers....

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Tony on January 26, 2023, 05:46:11 PMNational Express West Midlands is investing £150 million in 300 UK-made electric zero emission buses, for delivery by the end of December 2024. The buses will be deployed across the West Midlands.

https://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/media/news-releases/2023/national-express-west-midlands-invests-record-150-million-in-300-uk-made-electric-zero-emission-buses/

Replace as many single deckers as possible ....... please !

Tony

QuoteReplace as many single deckers as possible ....... please !
A lot of these 300 'deckers will replace Scanias. The order is now more than 600 vehicles (130 for Coventry, 170 added on announced at Conservative party conference and this 300 + Sprint vehicles) and a large number of Scanias are in the 600 oldest buses in the fleet.

Stu

Quote from: Tony on January 26, 2023, 05:46:11 PMNational Express West Midlands is investing £150 million in 300 UK-made electric zero emission buses, for delivery by the end of December 2024. The buses will be deployed across the West Midlands.

I don't suppose there's any indication yet on who will be supplying these? (ADL or Wrightbus?)

Also in that press release I found the following paragraph interesting:
QuoteA further 124 electric or hydrogen powered buses, including 24 articulated vehicles for the Sprint route on the A34 and A45, will be delivered next year through the Zero-Emission Bus Regional Areas (ZEBRA) fund.
My emphasis in bold, as previous announcements have always indicated that this order of buses, including those for the Sprint routes, would be hydrogen fuelled, so is there perhaps some 'rolling back' on the hydrogen ambition now?

If 300 new buses can be delivered by the end of next year, that would see off most of the older fleet. There could also be opportunity to 'shrink' the single-deck fleet size, I wonder if NX would be open to the possibility of selling off some 'mid-life' vehicles such as the Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLEs.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Quote from: Tony on January 26, 2023, 07:04:37 PMA lot of these 300 'deckers will replace Scanias. The order is now more than 600 vehicles (130 for Coventry, 170 added on announced at Conservative party conference and this 300 + Sprint vehicles) and a large number of Scanias are in the 600 oldest buses in the fleet.
Nothing against the Scania OmniLinks but this is music to my ears! :laugh:

My locals:

Tony

QuoteI don't suppose there's any indication yet on who will be supplying these? (ADL or Wrightbus?)

If 300 new buses can be delivered by the end of next year, that would see off most of the older fleet. There could also be opportunity to 'shrink' the single-deck fleet size, I wonder if NX would be open to the possibility of selling off some 'mid-life' vehicles such as the Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLEs.
I was told today it is a mix of ADL & Wrights.

It's 600, not 300 (including the 130 for Coventry) hence the statement about 40% of the fleet

Coventrybususer95

Going to be interesting to see what model's are chosen 
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Tony

QuoteGoing to be interesting to see what model's are chosen
I've put a mix of Wrights and ADL so not too much working out needed.

Mike K

Quote from: Tony on January 26, 2023, 07:12:02 PMI was told today it is a mix of ADL & Wrights.

It's 600, not 300 (including the 130 for Coventry) hence the statement about 40% of the fleet
Good to finally see the return of dual sourcing from 2 manufacturers again for large scale orders. Will also be good to see the return of Wrightbus vehicles in decent quantities. 

danny

This is outstanding would be nice too see maybe a step back to mecedes as the recent evaluation of the citaro seems to have gone down a treat... maybe for single deck routes such as the Bournville route (I wanna say the 27 but not from that side of town) and potentially the 4 series on the Blackheath to Walsall corridor. 

Can see a very interesting few months ahead.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on January 26, 2023, 07:07:50 PMI don't suppose there's any indication yet on who will be supplying these? (ADL or Wrightbus?)

Also in that press release I found the following paragraph interesting:My emphasis in bold, as previous announcements have always indicated that this order of buses, including those for the Sprint routes, would be hydrogen fuelled, so is there perhaps some 'rolling back' on the hydrogen ambition now?

At the bottom of the article, it says a further 100 electric-or-hydrogen powered buses and 24 articulated buses are due by the end of 2024 through the ZEBRA funding. I don't think those are included in the above figures.

Quote from: that articleA further 124 electric or hydrogen powered buses, including 24 articulated vehicles for the Sprint route on the A34 and A45, will be delivered next year through the Zero-Emission Bus Regional Areas (ZEBRA) fund. This is in addition to the investment by private bus operators as they renew their fleets for the zero-emission future.

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on January 26, 2023, 07:52:57 PMAt the bottom of the article, it says a further 100 electric-or-hydrogen powered buses and 24 articulated buses are due by the end of 2024 through the ZEBRA funding. I don't think those are included in the above figures.
Yes, I know that, hence why I quoted that bit.

I was curious about the choice of "electric or hydrogen" wording, as previous announcements had intimated that particular order would have been all hydrogen vehicles.

Despite the 'pilot scheme' ending in September last year, NX still don't seem to be able to deploy all 20 hydrogen buses in service together, so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up abandoning this 'project' if they felt that electric buses were the better long-term investment. It would of course mean handing those 20 vehicles back to Birmingham City Council and letting them figure out what to do with them.
My locals:

ellspurs

Sorry, I managed to not see that part of your reply.

Ronnoc

This would probably see off all the remaining Geminis and ALX400s. Hopefully NX have also gone for Electroliners + Hydroliners.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk