News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Forum Software upgrade - scheduled 2nd April 2022

Started by Stu, March 21, 2022, 08:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

After what seems like an eternity, SMF version 2.1 was finally officially released in February 2022.

This forum has been using the earlier v2.0 software since Tony set it up way back in 2012 (ten years ago now!).

So the time has come to upgrade the software to the newest supported version, and I plan to carry this out on Saturday 2nd April 2022.

There will be a period of downtime while the upgrade takes place, though it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

What to look forward to:

New features for users

A new WYSIWYG editor, SCEditor
    Real-time alerts in addition to email notifications
    A new default theme with full support for mobile devices
    Draft messages (you can save & resume later)
    Mentions using @name syntax
    Drag & drop attachments
    Attachments can be embedded directly into post text

Upgrading to the latest version also gives us access to numerous 'modifications' and enhancements not available for SMF v2.0.

I'll keep you all posted closer to the date.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Forum will be in maintenance mode from approximately 11am tomorrow (Saturday 2nd April 2022)

After taking a full backup, the forum software will be upgraded, once I am satisfied this has gone smoothly, the forum should be available again from about 1pm.

Members using any of the additional themes will be reverted to the 'new default' theme.
My locals:

Stu

Forum upgrade is now completed, and things look to be working properly!

There are a couple of modifications that still need to be reinstalled, but otherwise we're back in business running the latest version of the SMF forum software.

If anyone notices anything that is 'broken' or not working properly, please report in this thread and I'll be able to look into it further.
My locals:

mesub

23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

DJ

Quote from: Stu on April 02, 2022, 02:19:26 PMIf anyone notices anything that is 'broken' or not working properly, please report in this thread and I'll be able to look into it further.

The alternative themes that were available before are no longer able to be selected. Is it possible for these to be restored please? They made the site a lot easier to navigate on mobile, versus the default one.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stu

Quote from: mesub on April 02, 2022, 08:59:33 PMWhat's new in this version?

See the opening post!

Quote from: DJ on April 03, 2022, 07:00:13 AMThe alternative themes that were available before are no longer able to be selected. Is it possible for these to be restored please? They made the site a lot easier to navigate on mobile, versus the default one.

Those themes were not compatible with SMF 2.1 so they had to be removed.

The new default Curve2 theme is mobile responsive.

I can of course look for something similar to those other themes, if members would like an alternative.
My locals:

Glenfieldmathk1

Is there a way to revert back to a full site version on Mobile?

Stu

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on April 03, 2022, 04:23:58 PMIs there a way to revert back to a full site version on Mobile?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean... the new default theme is 'responsive' so it works on all devices and adapts accordingly.
My locals:

SO6597

Hello, I'm no longer able to access the forum via my mobile. I've got a message saying that I've been banned for spamming or using 'botscripts' or something similar.

I can access via other devices but can this be looked into? Thanks.

Stu

Quote from: SO6597 on April 07, 2022, 08:57:06 PMHello, I'm no longer able to access the forum via my mobile. I've got a message saying that I've been banned for spamming or using 'botscripts' or something similar.

I can access via other devices but can this be looked into? Thanks.

I'm sorry about this, I have been made aware that some members have had trouble logging into or accessing the forum today, and this is currently being looked into. I will post a detailed update on this in the morning.
My locals:

SO6597

Quote from: Stu on April 07, 2022, 09:05:33 PMI'm sorry about this, I have been made aware that some members have had trouble logging into or accessing the forum today, and this is currently being looked into. I will post a detailed update on this in the morning.
👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk