News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Random ticket

Started by Tony, February 11, 2022, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I have just been trying to work out the cheapest way to get from Rugeley to Halifax and get offered a single ticket for £42.30 Valid on Northern Trains only. That is a bit difficult as Northern Trains have never served Rugeley Trent Valley (They have wizzed through in the past)

DJ

Quote from: Tony on February 11, 2022, 08:54:57 PM
I have just been trying to work out the cheapest way to get from Rugeley to Halifax and get offered a single ticket for £42.30 Valid on Northern Trains only. That is a bit difficult as Northern Trains have never served Rugeley Trent Valley (They have wizzed through in the past)

Does the website/app you're using show a travel itinerary along with the ticket? If it does, then it's valid, no matter what the restrictions on the ticket itself say.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Ian Hardy

Tony,

Try the BR fares website https://www.brfares.com/, as it show all the possible fares available, strangely it does not show a £42.30 fare so it must be a combination of tickets, rather than a single fare.

Then you can workout whether the website being used to buy the ticket is giving you correct information.

N.B. not all the advance purchase fares maybe available as the allocation may have already been sold:
https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=RGL&dest=HFX

Dom

Quote from: Tony on February 11, 2022, 08:54:57 PM

Hi Tony

Just out of curiosity where have you seen this ticket?

Tony

DJ

Quote from: Tony on February 14, 2022, 09:07:13 AM
It came up on Chiltern Railways site.

Here is a link if it works
https://buy.chilternrailways.co.uk/search?origin=GBXRG&destination=GBHFX&adults=1&children=0&outboundTime=2022-02-15T11:30:00&outboundTimeType=DEPARTURE&railcards=%5B%5D&ls=LS_1_1&p=PRICE_P_1_5

I believe that ticket would only be valid on the specified Northern service, but you could in theory use any valid route to get to Warrington Bank Quay. I'd imagine it could cause some confusion at first though when using the specified Avanti service, but since it's from an actual TOC, a copy of the itinerary would serve as proof that it's valid.

If you want to use split tickets, you can get an off-peak single from Rugeley to Warrington for £18.10, then an advance single on that same Northern service for £8.50, saving you a few quid.

Tony

Quote from: DJ on February 14, 2022, 12:51:40 PM
I believe that ticket would only be valid on the specified Northern service, but you could in theory use any valid route to get to Warrington Bank Quay. I'd imagine it could cause some confusion at first though when using the specified Avanti service, but since it's from an actual TOC, a copy of the itinerary would serve as proof that it's valid.

If you want to use split tickets, you can get an off-peak single from Rugeley to Warrington for £18.10, then an advance single on that same Northern service for £8.50, saving you a few quid.

But Warrington is a long way around so certainly wouldn't want to go that way

DJ

Quote from: Tony on February 14, 2022, 01:06:10 PM
But Warrington is a long way around so certainly wouldn't want to go that way

The link you provided from the Chiltern website would be the same journey, just without a split ticket, involving two changes at Crewe and Warrington Bank Quay. It's certainly not the long way round, in fact it's the quickest route by rail between Rugeley TV and Halifax. You could go via Stafford and Manchester, but that takes around 30-40 minutes longer, and involves a walk/bus/tram across Manchester from Piccadilly to Victoria.

Tony

Quote from: DJ on February 14, 2022, 02:52:41 PM
The link you provided from the Chiltern website would be the same journey, just without a split ticket, involving two changes at Crewe and Warrington Bank Quay. It's certainly not the long way round, in fact it's the quickest route by rail between Rugeley TV and Halifax. You could go via Stafford and Manchester, but that takes around 30-40 minutes longer, and involves a walk/bus/tram across Manchester from Piccadilly to Victoria.

There's, Rugleley-Crewe-Manchester Piccadilly-Huddersfield-Halifax as well which has good connections

Westy

Programme of interest tonight on Itv.

This week's 'Tonight ' is discussing this subject.

If you miss the plus 1 showing at 2030, then hit the Itv Hub later!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk