News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

One Operator Per Service

Started by Stuharris 6360, October 15, 2012, 10:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Can someone in favour of the current private shareholder powered monopolies please set out the benefits to the passenger and network that they see?

Tony

Have a look at the Network WMPTE operated in 1986 and look at the gaping holes in it. Large estates without bus services through them (doesn't matter, you can walk to the nearest main road). High frequency routes where politicians thought they should be other popular routes every 30 min or less with buses wedged to the rafters. When I grew up what is now the 94, then 194 was every 30 minutes - now every 8! and that is without Claribels.

You cannot buy the most suitable you want to buy because they are not made in the correct city.

The current system is far from perfect, but it is far less prone to the wims of people in power for a couple of years

j789

1. Joined up network  - You can travel from Leamington to Cannock on a cheap one operator ticket - easy for passengers to understand - even people who rarely go on the bus know that in the West Midlands the buses are run by 'West Midlands', not stagecoach etc - a local connection.
2. A lot of companies, including mine, have staff share buy schemes so that the staff can buy a stake in the company - therefore it encourages staff retention and a general strive to ensure the company is a success - this benefits passengers.
3. Long term stability encourages investment - what is the point of investing in a route (not just in vehicles but staff training, CPC etc) if after 3 years a new company gets to run it, even if the buses aren't owned by the company as may happen in London.
4. Cheap fares - regulation would likely mean a need for 1800+ new buses in the area if that is what the 'quality contracts' required - who would pay for this?
5. From an enthusiasts point of view, as buses would be getting replaced every few years you wouldn't get the variety of the past and present - No Spectras, B10s, B7s and in the past Metros would have not stayed in service for 27+ years. This would make it a lot less interesting.

Bob

Joined up Network???? are you having a laugh? Leamingtin to Cannock? you cant even travel birmingham to cannock without buying two seperate operators tickets!

Tony

Quote from: bob on October 16, 2012, 09:54:32 PM
Joined up Network???? are you having a laugh? Leamingtin to Cannock? you cant even travel birmingham to cannock without buying two seperate operators tickets!

You can do Leamington - Cannock on one ticket, just not get back. You could do a return the other way for £3.80

Bob

oh on the crap 3x daily stupid oclock X51?

vinh1000

x51 doesnt seem to ever be on time the cannock early morning services
on a note i try and catch say diamond 16 as faster than say a 'packed'  NXWM so get home quicker! ;)
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Tony

Quote from: vinh1000 on October 16, 2012, 10:25:57 PM
on a note i try and catch say diamond 16 as faster than say a 'packed'  NXWM so get home quicker! ;)

How often do you see it? Normally are fairly close to time when I see them (at either end, I live in Cannock and work at Miller Street where they go past just before City)

Bob

Tony why do they still bother running it 3 times a day? most people start work at 9 ( office /shops) and the last one gets into brum way before then! so its not even commuter friendly, yet the evening ones are at 20 min intervals after 5. Why dont they just axe it altogether & put it out of its misery

Westy

Must admit the one X51 is timed at 0654 outside my house.

If that don't turn up by 700, it's a mad dash round to the Bloxwich Road for the 301 or 302.

(When my job relocates soon, I'll have to give up on the X51, as I cannot rely on it!)

Bob

I dont think its a service that NXWM take very seriously, there isnt even a timetable for it in Cannock Bus Station for crying out loud!

Tony

Quote from: bob on October 16, 2012, 10:57:20 PM
Tony why do they still bother running it 3 times a day? most people start work at 9 ( office /shops) and the last one gets into brum way before then! so its not even commuter friendly, yet the evening ones are at 20 min intervals after 5. Why dont they just axe it altogether & put it out of its misery
If most people start work at 9 how come the train I am catching this week, 6.08 off Hednesford arrive Birmingham 6.57 is full and standing every day?

Bob

Tony lots of people work 9 til 5 though, all im saying is why dont they space them or run one later? its probably academic though, cos id imagine theyre dead! the 655 one from cannock usually is, but then most people wouldnt know it exists!

monkeyjoe

Claribels i think offer a fantastic competition on a number of services. Examples in my view that competition can work.

vinh1000

Quote from: Tony on October 16, 2012, 10:31:48 PM
Quote from: vinh1000 on October 16, 2012, 10:25:57 PM

How often do you see it? Normally are fairly close to time when I see them (at either end, I live in Cannock and work at Miller Street where they go past just before City)
at least once a week tony going to cannock
i still wish they ran it later (one extra journey 18:05)
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk