News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

London Midland Trains

Started by Tony, September 22, 2012, 08:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tank90

granted but if they had sorted contracts out earlier then there would have been more money. As for the staffing that is 100% there fault I agree, rolling stock is 50/50, this government needed to spend on new rolling stock that train operators could have leased form whitehall to help with shortage of stock. But we can blame lots of folk but I think it was a rush to get things sorted and keep Unions happy, they are good but they can course problems.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

Tony

Quote from: tank90 on December 22, 2012, 08:58:15 PM
granted but if they had sorted contracts out earlier then there would have been more money. As for the staffing that is 100% there fault I agree, rolling stock is 50/50, this government needed to spend on new rolling stock that train operators could have leased form whitehall to help with shortage of stock. But we can blame lots of folk but I think it was a rush to get things sorted and keep Unions happy, they are good but they can course problems.

One thing sure to annoy people is what they have done on the Cannock line is take carriages off to use on other lines, a year after taking a train off to use on another line, and promising an extra carriage on the remaining one. So between 6:30 and 7:00 the service goes from 4 carriages (2 trains 2 each) to one 3 car to one two car at the same time as numbers are increasing.

There should be no shortage of rolling stock if the DfT pulled it's finger out and stop being stupid. For instance the electrified Lymington Branch is currently worked by a class 158 diesel 2 car SWT set while class 508 electrics sit stored at Eastleigh venturing out only to make sure they are in working order which could just as easily be used at Lymington.

When Manchester to Glasgow is fully electrified class 90s off the overnight sleeper with currently stored Mark 3s could easily be used instead of initially still using diesel 185s, then the latest order of 350s.

There are well over 100 carriages doing nothing around the country (Class 317s; 508s & hauled Mk2s and 3s) which could be found suitable work for releasing valuable DMUs and EMUs to ease overcrowding!

Only Chiltern of all the franchises seems to have worked this one out and managed to get the DfT to actually let them

Tomjusttom

lets get the violins out then?

my line has never had it better! 6 car 172s!

Sh4318

Quote from: Tomjusttom on December 22, 2012, 09:53:18 PM

Or diagrammed 6 car 172s when 5 cars turn up :/. Luckily the Snow Hill line hasn't been heavily affected by staff shortages, there's been a fair few signalling problems though
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

D10

Quote from: madabouttransport on December 22, 2012, 10:21:44 PM

Or diagrammed 6 car 172s when 5 cars turn up :/. Luckily the Snow Hill line hasn't been heavily affected by staff shortages, there's been a fair few signalling problems though

Yes, on the Snow Hill lines we have missed the worst of the Crew Shortages, but the signalling problems and the odd broken down train have caused terrible problems over the past few weeks.

Of course LM can't be blamed for the signalling problems, but there is never any information about what is happening. Nothing of any use on their website, no announcements and even if you are lucky to catch a member of station staff, they have no idea what is happening either! Truly shocking so called customer service.

Sh4318

Quote from: D10 on December 23, 2012, 11:00:58 AM
Quote from: madabouttransport on December 22, 2012, 10:21:44 PM

Yes, on the Snow Hill lines we have missed the worst of the Crew Shortages, but the signalling problems and the odd broken down train have caused terrible problems over the past few weeks.

Of course LM can't be blamed for the signalling problems, but there is never any information about what is happening. Nothing of any use on their website, no announcements and even if you are lucky to catch a member of station staff, they have no idea what is happening either! Truly shocking so called customer service.

I know, I have to use the line everyday, it's been shocking recently. Apparently the last two signalling problems were due to a rodent chewing the cabling. Seems to be the Crewe - Euston service which is suffering them a lack of train crew today
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

andy

Quote from: Tony on December 22, 2012, 08:06:18 PM
Quote from: tank90 on December 22, 2012, 07:58:31 PM
To be fair to LM they were all ways going to have a problem, they should have ended all staff contracts and put them on new contracts rather than keep the old central trains and Silverlink contracts.

That wasn't the only moan.
The three first trains from hednesford used to be 6.08; 6.35 & 6:58. When these were replaced by just two at 6.08 and 6.51 they promised an extra carriage because of the withdrawal of a train, and good as gold the new 6.51 was 3 cars whereas the old 6.58 was two. From this timetable change the the 6.51 has been reduced back to two cars meaning people are now standing all the way from Landywood. Other services have also had a reduction in carriages. The 15:39 New Street to Rugeley has been reduced from 4 to 2 cars!

There is also a complete lack of fare collection as well at the moment. With no means of paying cash for a ticket at Hednesford, Cannock, Landywood, Bloxwich North & Bloxwich, and no means at all of buying a ticket at either Bloxwich or Landwood. The Conductors either not showing at all, or if they do they are unable to collect all fares because of sheer numbers, and on several days the barriers at New Street being unmanned and no protection at all at Walsall is it any wonder they cannot afford to pay their drivers the same as other companies?

What annoys me most about this is when there is a barrier operating and you then have to join a ridiculous queue at New St to get your ticket before you can leave. The other day I had to queue 10 minutes which prevented  me getting to Moor Street in time to get another train.

windy miller

The reply LM gave me was (quote) there would be staff shortages until Mid- December?   I'm guessing thats 2012..... ::)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Discodave

Lukeee

My local station Witton has it bad. The ticket office is now closed for good, there is no ticket machine and the Permit to Travel machines never work. The only plus side is that tickets are rarely checked.

Ash

Looking at all the cancellations of London Midland services today bet this has created a nightmare for anyone travelling today using their services. Not good at all.

Discodave

So LM still have not done as they have promised then

D10

Quote from: madabouttransport on December 25, 2012, 12:15:09 AM
Many staff called in 'sick' at the last minute, causing many cancellations. I recall the same thing happening last year

This has been a problem for years, including back into Central Trains days. I wonder why they don't just admit defeat and introduce a special reduced Xmas Eve timetable, at least then you might have some confidence that your train will be running.

Discodave

Well if staff keep calling in sick disapline and sack them and find people whom will work there are many whom would like the chance of earning the wages some train staff earn and there are plenty of unemployed people too I may sound harsh but if you do not want to work others will I am lucky I have public holidays off but many transport jobs include weekend and public hols (I have worked a lot of them in the past and do not get enhanced rates either) and Xmas eve is a normal day only because I work nights I was off but lost holiday for it. 

windy miller

I expect there will be the usual shortage of drivers next week due to sudden illness syndrome... I saw two large flies on a turd this morning...one asked his mate where he had been for two days..he said.."Iv'e been doing an LM.. LM? he said... Whats that?.. He said.... Iv'e been on the sick..... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk