News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Deregulation "oddity" routes

Started by the trainbasher, February 25, 2024, 02:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

What routes did WM Buses run after the deregulation back in 1986 that were "oddities", i.e. were only a trip a day, or were only a couple of tendered trips that they had won on a route ran by a different operator such as Midland Red?

I know from the Mark Fitchew series of blogs that Perry Barr would win a tender, in the form of an early morning short journey from Ashfulong Corner-City on the otherwise Midland Red North operated 110 and the new minibus unit at Miller Street would also win a tendered journey on the 110, this being the last bus from Birmingham-Tamworth, with an early evening journey on the Limited Stop X74 Birmingham-Tamworth service also being won by Miller Street.

Also, did WMT ever publish printed timetables for these routes out of interest?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Westy

From memory, that seemed a rarity, as I tended to see other operators operate the odd journey on Wmt routes.

Plus, for a short period, the other operator tendered journeys also appeared on the Wmt leaflets, as I remember Chase Coaches journeys appearing on the old 394 on Sundays.

Until the Wmpte / Centro later Network West Midlands timetables started appearing, I certainly never saw other operators leaflets on a regular basis, the only ones on my radar wouldve been the old Mrw book ones, when you could get them from the old enquiry office in Brum, also I remember getting some MRN ones as well, but where would those be available from post deregulation, as wasnt the Cannock shop shut by then, plus Ive never been to Delta Way office AFAIK?

Wumpty

Alongside this thread, does anyone remember Midland Red North operating the Walsall 372/373 routes as I'm sure their white on blue blinds had these "Circular" destinations on them?
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Westy

Quote from: Wumpty on February 25, 2024, 03:25:47 PMAlongside this thread, does anyone remember Midland Red North operating the Walsall 372/373 routes as I'm sure their white on blue blinds had these "Circular" destinations on them?
Dont remember that.

The closest I remember is Choice doing the 15 & 30, which was a daytime version ISTR.

the trainbasher

QuoteFrom memory, that seemed a rarity, as I tended to see other operators operate the odd journey on Wmt routes.

Plus, for a short period, the other operator tendered journeys also appeared on the Wmt leaflets, as I remember Chase Coaches journeys appearing on the old 394 on Sundays.
Yeah, I know that some travel Merry Hill timetables showed BCC, PET or MRW journies on routes like the 264/5 and 274/5, as well as the Cradley - Dudley 244/5/6 services (one of the 243 timetables I recently acquired from when WN ran it shows the 244/5/6 with the old @ symbol, and some of the 1990-95 timetables I also recently acquired show trips on the WMT routes that were ran by Red Rider/Midland Red West/PMT.

I know that WMPTE published "all operator" timetables as early as '89, as I have one which shows the 225/226/262/270 (Dudley - Bilston) ran by WMT and MRW

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Westy

Thinking about it, I remember seeing a Wmpte branded timetable for the Walsall / Brownhills, Aldridge, Kingstanding to Brum corridor in Walsall library early years of deregulation, which I took a photocopy of.

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on February 25, 2024, 05:53:17 PMDont remember that.

The closest I remember is Choice doing the 15 & 30, which was a daytime version ISTR.
We did do the 15 & 30 but remember MRN doing a 348(?) from Walsall and saw the Track routes on their blinds.

Westy

Quote from: Wumpty on February 25, 2024, 07:11:27 PMWe did do the 15 & 30 but remember MRN doing a 348(?) from Walsall and saw the Track routes on their blinds.
What period are we talking ?

Wonder if appears on one of my maps I uploaded?

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on February 25, 2024, 07:54:33 PMWhat period are we talking ?

Wonder if appears on one of my maps I uploaded?
Must be late 80s, or early 90s at a push.

All I remember was MRN in the Drawlane yellow, white, red livery with white on blue blinds using the New Johnston font of London Transport.

Bob

Was the 158 brum to bloxwich a once daily each direction route for years?

Westy

Quote from: Bob on February 26, 2024, 07:27:00 AMWas the 158 brum to bloxwich a once daily each direction route for years?
After deregulation, it was.

Pre deregulation, off the top of my head, it was at least hourly(2 hourly Sundays!).

fleetline6477

WMT subsidiary Central Liner did a small number of trips on 443 to cover Birmingham Coach Company breaks.

don

Quote from: Westy on February 26, 2024, 02:15:33 PMAfter deregulation, it was.

Pre deregulation, off the top of my head, it was at least hourly(2 hourly Sundays!).
To the extent that its predecessor, the 358 (Walsall area numbering) used ex Walsall Fleetlines until the mid 70s - in order to accommodate the replacement higher standard WMPTE Fleetlines and VRs, the railway overbridge near Pelsall (Walsall-Lichfield line) was adjusted to suit. IIRC the bridge was raised slightly. A vast difference from the modern day situation at Sandwell and Dudley Parkway station rail over bridge. 
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

D10

In the early 90's WB won the Centro tender to operate the Sunday service on route 445 (Smethwick to Brandhall) and published their own timetable leaflet for it. They failed to mention however that there was a Monday to Saturday service which was operated by Midland Red West!

danny

Did Midland red west ever run on the 120 (now 12/12A) seem to remember getting on a lynx and Verde on these routes when I was younger??? 
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk