News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Last bus guarantee

Started by cardew, January 10, 2024, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cardew

A good initiative. To be honest I don't know how widespread this is elsewhere but the last tram/bus of the night in Amsterdam was similarly guaranteed when I lived there. 

Not that I rely on the last bus of the day much these days.

https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/last-bus-promise-included-in-new-passenger-charter/

mesub

Quote from: cardew on January 10, 2024, 07:30:49 PMA good initiative. To be honest I don't know how widespread this is elsewhere but the last tram/bus of the night in Amsterdam was similarly guaranteed when I lived there.

https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/last-bus-promise-included-in-new-passenger-charter/

It's good but I wonder if it'll apply to all routes/variations of routes?

Would school/works routes be included?
Would peak time only routes (e.g. X15) be included?
Would variations of routes (such as the last X13 to go to Hams Hall) be included?

Just some initial thoughts.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

cardew

Quote from: mesub on January 10, 2024, 07:34:06 PMIt's good but I wonder if it'll apply to all routes/variations of routes?

Would school/works routes be included?
Would peak time only routes (e.g. X15) be included?
Would variations of routes (such as the last X13 to go to Hams Hall) be included?

Just some initial thoughts.
Good points. As in The Netherlands, qualifying journeys will need to be marked on the timetables or the admin could escalate.

Stu

Quote from: cardew on January 10, 2024, 07:30:49 PMA good initiative. To be honest I don't know how widespread this is elsewhere but the last tram/bus of the night in Amsterdam was similarly guaranteed when I lived there.

I just saw this on Facebook and Twitter posted by Andy Street.

Yeah I know, "election year" and all that, but this sounds like it is going ahead regardless of who is Mayor after May.

My questions are simply as follows:

Who pays for this, ie how is it funded?

How will it work? ie on what basis will it be determined if such a claim is eligible?

And how will passengers be able to claim this, and what evidence will be required on their part?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Mayfield

Simple, Just run a proper bus service to the advertised time tables and there won't be any claims.

Tony

Quote from: Mayfield on January 10, 2024, 08:45:25 PMSimple, Just run a proper bus service to the advertised time tables and there won't be any claims.
But what if that's not possible?

Jay71

So I can claim compensation if my last bus/tram never turns up. Wonder how long it took to think that idea up. NX have always been happy to reimburse taxi fares if a last bus turns up. Just get a receipt off the driver & then email it to NX. 
I've had two refunds in two years 

Westy

Why not, for example, earlier journeys on the evening service, especially if you have to be in for a certain time on the night shift & the service is only hourly, as my sister had to go out for an earlier bus on most occasions & on a few occasions, she's had to fork out for a taxi?

Sandy Lane

Mmmmm sounds like a pre-election vote for me gimmick /sweetener and what is it actually worth?
How much is a taxi fare if the last bus gets canned?

Westy

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 11, 2024, 07:48:11 AMMmmmm sounds like a pre-election vote for me gimmick /sweetener and what is it actually worth?
How much is a taxi fare if the last bus gets canned?
About a tenner I think from Bloxwich to Wednesfield, & it doubles/increases at certain peak times of the year!

BlackCountryBusSpotter

What if the last bus on say a route like the 29 gets attacked by yobs. Then who is paying, cus that ay NX's fault
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Coventrybususer95

What about bus routes that finish at about 6pm will you be able to claime if that bus doesn't run?
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Mayfield

Better make sure hydrogens are not allocated to last journeys as NX would be bankrupt in a month.

Lukeee

Quote from: Mayfield on January 11, 2024, 12:25:03 PMBetter make sure hydrogens are not allocated to last journeys as NX would be bankrupt in a month.
It's bold of you to assume the hydrogens will last all day  :wink:

Stu

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on January 11, 2024, 12:01:01 PMWhat about bus routes that finish at about 6pm will you be able to claime if that bus doesn't run?
The way I'm reading this, it wouldn't apply, as the argument could be made that alternative bus services would be available that ran later into the evening, so you could still get home, even if less directly.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk