News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Route 20 QE Hospital to Bromsgrove, increased passenger numbers

Started by Steve3229vp, July 18, 2023, 07:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

It's always good to see passenger increases. But there's absolutely nothing historic about it. The historic part was scrapped.

Sh4318

That's really good to hear. The link to the QEH/Uni must be very useful, hopefully this kind of growth continues
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Westy

Would they extend it back to Birmingham via the other Harborne routes?

Quote from: Westy on July 18, 2023, 10:54:27 PMWould they extend it back to Birmingham via the other Harborne routes?
It doesn't go to Harborne. 

Probably more likely along the University corridor with the X21/X22 if that ever happened.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

Quote from: 2206 on July 18, 2023, 11:11:23 PMIt doesn't go to Harborne. 

Probably more likely along the University corridor with the X21/X22 if that ever happened.
That's the one I was thinking of.

cris 99

It would need to be operated by another depot if that happened 
17//72/73/97/X12

Mike K

Probably not likely anytime soon in my opinion. 

The X20 was withdrawn a couple of years back and replaced by the shortened 20 between QE and Cofton Hackett (this is now the 20A variant).

There have been a number of gradual decreases in frequency on the city - QE corridor since the X20/21/22 were first introduced so presumably the demand for more buses along this part of the route isn't there.

If the plan is to reintroduce a link between Birmingham city centre and Bromsgrove, that route can suffer significant traffic issues at peak times, particularly along Arthur Road and Edgbaston Park Road, impacting reliability. So it wouldn't be a quick or direct link.

Straightlines

Amusing to see the vehicle type magically got 15 years newer for a photo with David Bradford! 

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on July 19, 2023, 08:21:54 AMProbably not likely anytime soon in my opinion.

The X20 was withdrawn a couple of years back and replaced by the shortened 20 between QE and Cofton Hackett (this is now the 20A variant).

There have been a number of gradual decreases in frequency on the city - QE corridor since the X20/21/22 were first introduced so presumably the demand for more buses along this part of the route isn't there.

If the plan is to reintroduce a link between Birmingham city centre and Bromsgrove, that route can suffer significant traffic issues at peak times, particularly along Arthur Road and Edgbaston Park Road, impacting reliability. So it wouldn't be a quick or direct link.

I would say demand is there to be honest, but mainly during peak times. Certainly wouldn't warrant the X20 returning, maybe just more X21 and X22 in peak times.

If the 20 were to be extended to City Centre it would probably be down the Bristol Road. But I agree, not likely anytime soon.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 18, 2023, 07:40:39 PMBIRMINGHAM LIVE - Saved historic bus route expands as passenger numbers grow

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/saved-historic-bus-route-expands-27341008?fbclid=IwAR0bnF4Z9sc3U10vsfqScklcGrtdwUdBqGEfRrP6CnbVYu3NQw-xHfChQbs
The sceptic in me suggests passenger numbers have only grown by virtue of adding the passengers who previously used the 20 (compared to when it was just the 144A).

But if passenger numbers have genuinely increased, then that is some good news at last.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

j789

Quote from: Westy on July 18, 2023, 10:54:27 PMWould they extend it back to Birmingham via the other Harborne routes?
Perhaps it could extend to Birmingham from the QE via the old 21 route through Harborne. Would provide further useful links as the 21 is certainly a much missed service.

Straightlines

Quote from: j789 on July 19, 2023, 07:11:40 PMPerhaps it could extend to Birmingham from the QE via the old 21 route through Harborne. Would provide further useful links as the 21 is certainly a much missed service.
Not sure how this would replace any of the 'much missed' 21 or provide any further useful links!

j789

Quote from: Straightlines on July 19, 2023, 08:06:24 PMNot sure how this would replace any of the 'much missed' 21 or provide any further useful links!
From QE run via Harborne Lane up to Fiveways then into town. There is no direct bus now along Harborne Lane to the QE/Selly Oak/Longbridge - plenty of useful links there.

Straightlines

Quote from: j789 on July 19, 2023, 08:09:11 PMFrom QE run via Harborne Lane up to Fiveways then into town. There is no direct bus now along Harborne Lane to the QE/Selly Oak/Longbridge - plenty of useful links there.
Can't see this bringing a six figure turnover increase to the 20 that it would need to sustain extra PVR! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk