News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Repaints and refurbishments 2023

Started by BK63 YWP, February 02, 2023, 06:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukeee

Quote from: cardew on March 21, 2024, 10:02:46 AMI wonder if the decision to wrap rather than paint is because the 2009 E400s are leased rather than owned

I could of course be way off the mark.
Would suppose it depends how much longer they've got in service, believe some of the scanias were leased and they regularly recived repaints 

Tony

Quote from: JosephR on March 21, 2024, 07:42:00 PMWhy isn't the vinyl two tone. Wouldn't it of cost around the same?
No, a lot more, and the repaints aren't two tone so it matches

winston

Quote from: JosephR on March 21, 2024, 07:42:00 PMWhy isn't the vinyl two tone. Wouldn't it of cost around the same?
Repaints aren't two tone anymore

Wumpty

Just some of my observations/opinions:

The bus is wrapped in the corporate identity - granted, there are no fleetnames, but instantly recognisable to a passenger as an NX bus.

The bus will have the odd imperfection where the vinyl has been applied to what I call, road-worn panels i.e. panels on a bus that have taken some degree of abuse, but not accident damage. Perfectly acceptable as a bus for service.

The frontal application does have some areas not completely covered, like headlight and number plate surrounds. Only we, as enthusiasts/forum members, have the opportunity to zoom in and examine this quasi-forensically. Does it look bad? On the photo closely examined yes, but to the average farepaying passenger, I doubt they're loking down, rather up at the destination displays. (I actually quite like the red headlight surrounds in red, it breaks up the grey).

I understand that this is an all over advert bus, so the most cost/time effective way to cover the bus after the previous advert was removed is this.

I would always gauge this against these factors:

Is it roadworthy and safe to drive/transport passengers? Yes

Is it "on brand" and recognisable to passengers? Yes

Will spending anymore money tittivating this bus to the "N"th degree make it any better to satisfy the above? No.

As a former bus manager, I would be more than happy for this to be pressed into service as it is to maintain service. If any of my customers, or enthusiasts, have any concerns, I'd be happy to accept their feedback via the corporate channels.

Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Mike K

Quote from: Wumpty on March 22, 2024, 10:02:14 AMJust some of my observations/opinions:

The bus is wrapped in the corporate identity - granted, there are no fleetnames, but instantly recognisable to a passenger as an NX bus.

It's just such a shame that an all-over single primer grey colour is now the new recognisable NXWM corporate identity when you look at the attractive crimson and previous Platinum designs that preceded it.

I'm not a fan of the two-tone grey diagonal livery but to then change it to just a single dark shade on repaints because it's cheaper, and even remove the small detail of the stripes in the diagonal red sash, is really to the detriment of the corporate image of the company IMO. 

I appreciate this point has already been debated, but I don't think there's a worse UK livery out there at the moment.

Mayfield

Stagecoach's mishmash of colours all awful

Wumpty

Quote from: Mike K on March 22, 2024, 11:58:19 AMIt's just such a shame that an all-over single primer grey colour is now the new recognisable NXWM corporate identity when you look at the attractive crimson and previous Platinum designs that preceded it.

I'm not a fan of the two-tone grey diagonal livery but to then change it to just a single dark shade on repaints because it's cheaper, and even remove the small detail of the stripes in the diagonal red sash, is really to the detriment of the corporate image of the company IMO.

I appreciate this point has already been debated, but I don't think there's a worse UK livery out there at the moment.
It has divided opinion, though I'm sure there is a very good reason why 4801 has received this treatment.

As for the livery itself, whilst it may appear uninspiring, it is a practical and easily manageable livery both corporately and for engineering teams.

I'm sure we'll learn more about the livery and 4801 in due course.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Wumpty on March 22, 2024, 06:16:05 PMIt has divided opinion, though I'm sure there is a very good reason why 4801 has received this treatment.

As for the livery itself, whilst it may appear uninspiring, it is a practical and easily manageable livery both corporately and for engineering teams.

I'm sure we'll learn more about the livery and 4801 in due course.
I was talking to someone from Alexander Dennis yesterday. When they paint new Stagecoach buses there's so much work doing the different colours it can cause problems  just because of the time taken masking and baking all the different colours

Mike K

The current Stagecoach livery is awful in my opinion, although I guess at least it looks like some thought has gone into it. I think Go Ahead have some of the better liveries out there - often quite basic 2 colour liveries and often diagonal - but make good use of vinyls to give an end result that looks effective. Salisbury Reds and the latest Morebus m1/m2 liveried E400MMCs are examples. Practical and stylish at the same time is possible.

Tony

Quote from: Mike K on March 22, 2024, 08:04:58 PMThe current Stagecoach livery is awful in my opinion, although I guess at least it looks like some thought has gone into it. I think Go Ahead have some of the better liveries out there - often quite basic 2 colour liveries and often diagonal - but make good use of vinyls to give an end result that looks effective. Salisbury Reds and the latest Morebus m1/m2 liveried E400MMCs are examples. Practical and stylish at the same time is possible.
I was in Southampton last Saturday the fleet there is just a jumbled as the varieties in the West Midlands with the local Blue Star along with London Red, Go North East Blue & Red, Salisbury Reds, Southern Vectis Green, Unibus purple & Grey as well as a couple of special liveries for specific routes and a couple of specials. Last thing it looked like was there was only one operator there.

ellspurs

Quote from: Tony on March 22, 2024, 08:40:20 PMI was in Southampton last Saturday the fleet there is just a jumbled as the varieties in the West Midlands with the local Blue Star along with London Red, Go North East Blue & Red, Salisbury Reds, Southern Vectis Green, Unibus purple & Grey as well as a couple of special liveries for specific routes and a couple of specials. Last thing it looked like was there was only one operator there.
After First pulled out in 2022 it has pretty much been Bluestar (Uni-Link is part of them). There's Xelabus around but they only run a couple of services. The Sailsbury Red and the remaining First services come in from Sailsbury/Portsmouth.

Tony

Quote from: ellspurs on March 22, 2024, 09:21:54 PMAfter First pulled out in 2022 it has pretty much been Bluestar (Uni-Link is part of them). There's Xelabus around but they only run a couple of services. The Sailsbury Red and the remaining First services come in from Sailsbury/Portsmouth.
No, all those liveries were just on normal service on local Blue star routes, the unilink one was the old version without names

jasmine

Quote from: Wumpty on March 22, 2024, 10:02:14 AMJust some of my observations/opinions:

The bus will have the odd imperfection where the vinyl has been applied to what I call, road-worn panels i.e. panels on a bus that have taken some degree of abuse, but not accident damage. Perfectly acceptable as a bus for service.

The frontal application does have some areas not completely covered, like headlight and number plate surrounds. Only we, as enthusiasts/forum members, have the opportunity to zoom in and examine this quasi-forensically. Does it look bad? On the photo closely examined yes, but to the average farepaying passenger, I doubt they're loking down, rather up at the destination displays. (I actually quite like the red headlight surrounds in red, it breaks up the grey).

I understand that this is an all over advert bus, so the most cost/time effective way to cover the bus after the previous advert was removed is this.

I would always gauge this against these factors:

Is it roadworthy and safe to drive/transport passengers? Yes

Is it "on brand" and recognisable to passengers? Yes

Will spending anymore money tittivating this bus to the "N"th degree make it any better to satisfy the above? No.

As a former bus manager, I would be more than happy for this to be pressed into service as it is to maintain service. If any of my customers, or enthusiasts, have any concerns, I'd be happy to accept their feedback via the corporate channels.

was it this serious?

Sh4318

Quote from: jasmine on March 20, 2024, 01:39:50 PMhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/stanjack/53595748385/in/photolist-2pE5dKk-2pB5PDC-2pqFTLE-2pqciVi-2pnyAuq-2pixvQg-2pioW2F-2pixvf2-2piTxMA-2pfdr2E-2pc4zmq-2pgD15s-2pb9TRH-2oXQCSh-2oXSLVM-2oXVXpK-2oXrKrS-2oZx6bC-2oBRXKS-2oBVMKv-2ptW3Mo-2ou3n5c-2ohjk1H-2oguZWr-2ogXyFN
It doesn't look great, but as it's been mentioned, I don't think there's particularly because of the vinyl (although you can see some crimson around the license at the front, as it has been pointed out), but the state of the bodywork.

It wouldn't stop me from wanting to board, a bus is a bus at the end of the day. My local routes are ran by buses in two tone grey, platinum, blueson, crimson and NX red and white

The only question I'd ask is, why have the rear windows 4801 been vinyled over?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

jasmine

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 22, 2024, 11:05:40 PMIt doesn't look great, but as it's been mentioned, I don't think there's particularly because of the vinyl (although you can see some crimson around the license at the front, as it has been pointed out), but the state of the bodywork.

It wouldn't stop me from wanting to board, a bus is a bus at the end of the day. My local routes are ran by buses in two tone grey, platinum, blueson, crimson and NX red and white

The only question I'd ask is, why have the rear windows 4801 been vinyled over?
your locals are also my locals nice

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk