News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Sprint

Started by bususer28, January 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l.murphy123

Could have saved a lot of money by simply creating more bus lanes for the X51 (unfamiliar with the other routes) and helping fund hydrogen buses without all the other carry-on.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Jack D

Could we see new platinum routes, e.g Upgrading 55 and 94 into platinum with the extra which will be availiable, and could we be expecting route changes for X1/X2, X12 and X51 with the introduction of sprint?

Tony

Quote from: l.murphy123 on January 31, 2021, 08:05:59 PM
Could have saved a lot of money by simply creating more bus lanes for the X51 (unfamiliar with the other routes) and helping fund hydrogen buses without all the other carry-on.

That is what is happening

Quote from: Jack D on February 01, 2021, 11:35:19 AM
Could we see new platinum routes, e.g Upgrading 55 and 94 into platinum with the extra which will be availiable, and could we be expecting route changes for X1/X2, X12 and X51 with the introduction of sprint?
The X1/X2 and 51/X51 are probably likely to change as a result of the Sprint route as they would be directly impacted. The X12 is not likely to be directly impacted.

What is also still unclear is how it impacts the sections that aren't on the proposed sprint route - Old Lode Lane on X2, Airport to Coventry on X1 & Walsall to Cannock on X51.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

:D

I can imagine one of the bus routes on Hobs Moat road being diverted to serve Old Lode Lane instead.

I've had a quick look at the Sprint bus plans, looks like they're slightly reducing the number of bus stops on the east side of Brum. If that is the case, I can imagine the 60 having their frequencies slightly boosted to pick up the slack - perhaps not necessary now that it's less likely to get stuck in a traffic due to new bus lanes (ignoring the traffic nightmare that is Small Heath of course).

Quote from: :D on February 01, 2021, 12:34:05 PM
I can imagine one of the bus routes on Hobs Moat road being diverted to serve Old Lode Lane instead.
Probably the 72 as thats the only route that serves it.
And the new Sprint X2 (Like the 57A used to as well) and 73 to use Hobs Moat Road maybe. Swapping them over basically, maybe.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

bususer28

Quote from: 2206 on February 01, 2021, 12:20:40 PM
The X1/X2 and 51/X51 are probably likely to change as a result of the Sprint route as they would be directly impacted. The X12 is not likely to be directly impacted.

What is also still unclear is how it impacts the sections that aren't on the proposed sprint route - Old Lode Lane on X2, Airport to Coventry on X1 & Walsall to Cannock on X51.
I'm not sure if it's possible but could it be the case that until the articulated buses arrive, sprint simply extends to Coventry and Cannock using normal roads and fares.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: bususer28 on February 02, 2021, 05:28:46 PM
I'm not sure if it's possible but could it be the case that until the articulated buses arrive, sprint simply extends to Coventry and Cannock using normal roads and fares.

I would assume not but again @Tony may be more adept at answering this question.. 😁

Tony

Why would you want a route that long? over 50km so would come under EU driving rules amongst other reasons not to

DJ

Quote from: Tony on February 02, 2021, 05:52:26 PM
Why would you want a route that long? over 50km so would come under EU driving rules amongst other reasons not to

It could be split at Birmingham, using the same number but two different registrations for each half, I'd imagine.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: DJ on February 02, 2021, 08:22:46 PM
It could be split at Birmingham, using the same number but two different registrations for each half, I'd imagine.

Although that practise is common, Beverley Bell had an operator over doing it after a driver had an RTC, so it is not 100% legal

Stu

I think it is more likely that the X51 / X1 / X2 will still exist in some form, though not as they are today, and will continue to work alongside the new Walsall to Airport/Solihull Sprint routes, albeit in 'modified route' or reduced forms.

The X51 could continue as it is between Birmingham and Cannock at a reduced frequency.

The X1 and X2 could be curtailed to operate between South Yardley and Coventry/Solihull at a reduced frequency (with passengers bound for Birmingham city centre encouraged to change onto the Sprint service or the 60). Or the routes could be merged to operate between Coventry and Solihull via Hobs Moat Road and Lode Lane.

Just my thoughts...
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on February 02, 2021, 08:46:53 PM

The X1 and X2 could be curtailed to operate between South Yardley and Coventry/Solihull at a reduced frequency (with passengers bound for Birmingham city centre encouraged to change onto the Sprint service or the 60). Or the routes could be merged to operate between Coventry and Solihull via Hobs Moat Road and Lode Lane.

Just my thoughts...

Hopefully not, asking people to change vehicles is always a passenger loser, hence the wish for cross city routes

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on February 02, 2021, 08:46:53 PM
I think it is more likely that the X51 / X1 / X2 will still exist in some form, though not as they are today, and will continue to work alongside the new Walsall to Airport/Solihull Sprint routes, albeit in 'modified route' or reduced forms.

The X51 could continue as it is between Birmingham and Cannock at a reduced frequency.

Just my thoughts...
My thoughts is the 'Sprint' will replace the whole of the X2, part of the X1, 51 and the X51 journeys to Walsall. The X1 could continue as the main Birmingham-Airport-Meriden-Coventry link

Quote from: Steve3229vp on February 02, 2021, 09:10:18 PM
My thoughts is the 'Sprint' will replace the whole of the X2, part of the X1, 51 and the X51 journeys to Walsall. The X1 could continue as the main Birmingham-Airport-Meriden-Coventry link
That would make most sense. I can't see what benefit Coventry to Solihull via Old Lode Lane would bring either. As the Johnsons X20 runs between Coventry and Solihull.

The map of the A45 corridor also says the Sprint stops between the Wheatsheaf and The Airport will be delivered "After 2022". Which I hadn't noticed till now. So it might only replace the X2 and 51/X51 journeys to Walsall to begin with as well. And X1 journeys up to Airport at a later date, it sounds.
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/development/sprint/about-sprint
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk