News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Sprint

Started by bususer28, January 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Stevo on January 28, 2021, 07:07:09 PM
So will these fuell cell Platinums be H001-020? I thought they'd be in service this year, not well into 2022.

They were originally scheduled to be in operation this year, April 2021 according to Birmingham City Council who are buying these vehicles.
https://westmidlandsbususers.co.uk/2020/10/hydrogen-buses-coming-to-birmingham-in-spring-2021/

BCC's press release does mention that NX Bus had an 'ambition' to run them on the Sprint service when it launches.

So, these vehicles will already be 'second-hand' (so to speak, as in not 'brand new') when the Sprint service launches.

If I'm understanding all this correctly, NX Bus will be using vehicles purchased and owned by Birmingham City Council on a service operated under contract to the WMCA?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Tony on January 28, 2021, 07:17:09 PM
They will be in service this year (as long as BCC complete the fuelling infrastructure) the buses are already in build, They will not be H001-20. NX's radio system does not cope with letters, so no two vehicles can have the same number without letters eg 001
If NX's radio system does not cope with letters, what about E001 onwards ?

Tony

Quote from: Steve3229vp on January 28, 2021, 08:31:15 PM
If NX's radio system does not cope with letters, what about E001 onwards ?

It is fleetnumber 001 in the radio, hence why we cannot have a H001

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Tony on January 28, 2021, 08:45:38 PM
It is fleetnumber 001 in the radio, hence why we cannot have a H001

Will H001 -H020 be numbered 30 - 49 but fleet numbers on the vehicles H030 - H049 then if there is an order if electrics after the next electric vehicle will be numbered E050
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Nxwm

Wow can't wait for perry barr to run these services

Tony

bususer28

I know it's to early to speculate but will NX passes be accepted on sprint because I feel as if they aren't, it may underdeliver slightly.

MW

Quote from: bususer28 on January 28, 2021, 11:24:25 PM
I know it's to early to speculate but will NX passes be accepted on sprint because I feel as if they aren't, it may underdeliver slightly.

Probably.

Sprint appears to be the same as Metrobus (in Bristol), which I currently drive for. Metrobus is operated by First and as such, First passes are accepted.

BBS

Quote from: Nxwm on January 28, 2021, 09:25:13 PM
Wow can't wait for perry barr to run these services
it ain't PB
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Trident4590

Quote from: bbs on January 30, 2021, 01:09:15 PM
it ain't PB
I thought it was confirmed already to be Perry Bar?

bususer28

Quote from: bbs on January 30, 2021, 01:09:15 PM
it ain't PB
I remember someone posting a while back in the Perry Barr thread a plan of the new depot which included spaces for the sprint buses.

Tony

Here is a comment in this week's staff business brief about this

We will also deploy our 20 new hydrogen buses on this corridor. There are several garages which could host them, with Walsall a likely candidate. The decision is taking a bit of time as we work through the practicalities and lobby government for much more funding to buy hundreds more hydrogen buses to join the fleet.

Stevo

I thought the hydrogen refuelling station was going to be in Tyseley. That's a long way from Walsall!

Stu

Quote from: bususer28 on January 30, 2021, 03:26:27 PM
I remember someone posting a while back in the Perry Barr thread a plan of the new depot which included spaces for the sprint buses.

The plan of the new Perry Barr depot showed spaces for the articulated vehicles proposed to be used at a later date.

However the plan of the layout was likely itself a proposal, and any spaces shown could be reallocated for other vehicle types.

Quote from: Stevo on January 30, 2021, 06:00:48 PM
I thought the hydrogen refuelling station was going to be in Tyseley. That's a long way from Walsall!

The refuelling station is itself just off the proposed Sprint route, near Small Heath Highway. I don't know how long it would take to refuel one of these vehicles, I guess with some clever scheduling and short workings, it could be feasible to have them refuelled 'mid-service' rather than at the end of the day back at the depot.

For example, a journey could terminate at the Airport, then run dead to Tyseley, refuel, and then run a short journey from the city centre to Walsall. That's just a guess, and I'm sure all these factors are being taken into consideration.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Tony on January 28, 2021, 07:17:09 PM
They will be in service this year (as long as BCC complete the fuelling infrastructure)
Quote from: Tony on January 30, 2021, 03:36:35 PM
Here is a comment in this week's staff business brief about this

We will also deploy our 20 new hydrogen buses on this corridor. There are several garages which could host them, with Walsall a likely candidate. The decision is taking a bit of time as we work through the practicalities and lobby government for much more funding to buy hundreds more hydrogen buses to join the fleet.
With the sprint route not due to start till 2022.
Does that mean they will be used on 51/X51 or X1/X2 if they are entering service before then? With routes remaining as they are now, or not?

Quote from: Stu on January 30, 2021, 06:43:58 PM
For example, a journey could terminate at the Airport, then run dead to Tyseley
Would it make sense to have them come on/off at Yardley Swan maybe for example, as it would reduce the dead millage?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk