News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Chaserider

Started by Pat, January 06, 2021, 10:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BusMan Greg

Quote from: Bob on November 22, 2021, 01:15:57 PM
Do the variations on the 74 mean the axing of the Cheslyn hay to walsall section?
I'd assume so but it isn't specific

Bob

I wonder if another operator would step in to cover the 3?

Steveminor

Would probably have to go out to tender as it's not commercially viable

BusMan Greg

Quote from: Steveminor on November 22, 2021, 04:51:57 PM
Would probably have to go out to tender as it's not commercially viable
This has been mentioned before on this forum but would a 937 extension to Cannock work? Obviously that would replace the 3 between Brownhills and Cannock

888DUK

Quote from: BusMan Greg on November 22, 2021, 05:13:18 PM
This has been mentioned before on this forum but would a 937 extension to Cannock work? Obviously that would replace the 3 between Brownhills and Cannock

I would of thought an extension  of the 10 better. This would then become similar to old Walsall Corporation service no.5, just omitting the Burntwood / Chase Terrace section  and running to Cannock instead of Hednesford.
Anyways if nothing happens this leaves Brownhills without a service to Cannock for the first time in my lifetime and that goes back to the days of Harper Bros.

BusMan Greg

Quote from: 888DUK on November 22, 2021, 05:34:02 PM
I would of thought an extension  of the 10 better. This would then become similar to old Walsall Corporation service no.5, just omitting the Burntwood / Chase Terrace section  and running to Cannock instead of Hednesford.
Anyways if nothing happens this leaves Brownhills without a service to Cannock for the first time in my lifetime and that goes back to the days of Harper Bros.
I thought that but the 3 didn't work when it went to  Wasall, or at least in its later days anyway.

ellspurs

The lower half of Norton Canes will lose its bus service when the 3 is withdrawn. Has Staffordshire CC put out any emergency tenders for it?

Westy

So how will this affect the 1 then?

Steveminor

It's hard to see nx extending any services whilst they are currently cutting their existing routes & PVR.

Bob

Quote from: Westy on November 22, 2021, 06:24:55 PM
So how will this affect the 1 then?

Cant see it having any effect other than no longer interworking

j789

Quote from: Steveminor on November 22, 2021, 06:39:45 PM
It's hard to see nx extending any services whilst they are currently cutting their existing routes & PVR.

As with any company, if they spot a potentially profit making situation I'm sure they would extend the route perhaps at the expense of reducing another loss making or break even service. It makes business sense to do that.

If you look at the routes NXWM have cut or withdrawn they aren't the trunk routes it's the peripheral ones that were probably always pretty low profit earners any way. It will be interesting to see if any of the 'local' competition step in to take these routes over commercially - let me take a punt now - none of them will!!!

the trainbasher

Quote from: j789 on November 22, 2021, 07:38:42 PM
If you look at the routes NXWM have cut or withdrawn they aren't the trunk routes it's the peripheral ones that were probably always pretty low profit earners any way. It will be interesting to see if any of the 'local' competition step in to take these routes over commercially - let me take a punt now - none of them will!!!
All I got to say is bring on franchising.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

j789

Quote from: the trainbasher on November 22, 2021, 07:43:18 PM
All I got to say is bring on franchising.

Are you a tax payer? Will you be happy to see your money thrown down the drain on all the added expense that will create? London is not a success story no matter what anyone says. It's just had billions of pounds wasted when all it needed was to have one LT company running everything to high standards (state owned or private).

Franchising would be a disaster.

Bob

Quote from: j789 on November 22, 2021, 07:47:29 PM
Are you a tax payer? Will you be happy to see your money thrown down the drain on all the added expense that will create? London is not a success story no matter what anyone says. It's just had billions of pounds wasted when all it needed was to have one LT company running everything to high standards (state owned or private).

Franchising would be a disaster.

Thats what they had i think till the Tories split it in the late 80s then sold it off in the 90s or thereabout

j789

Quote from: Bob on November 22, 2021, 07:50:59 PM
Thats what they had i think till the Tories split it in the late 80s then sold it off in the 90s or thereabout

Yes it wasn't a good decision that. I think overall deregulation has been positive in larger cities and conurbations like the West Midlands. However, London was always different to everywhere else and LT should just have been left as it was but modernised. I believe that would have created a much more sustainable network than today's and would have cost us tax payers far less in subsidies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk