News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Birmingham City Centre changes - it's now the 21st, not the 22nd

Started by Justin Tyme, July 20, 2012, 09:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Has everyone seen the news - placed on Network West Midlands' website only yesterday - that the Birmingham City Centre changes will now take place at 11 pm on Saturday 21st July?

Although departures after 11 pm "will be leaving five minutes later than scheduled to give passengers sufficient time to find their stop", this has got a be a recipe for confusion after a Saturday night on the town.  It's as if someone deliberately wants this to get off to a bad start.  I hope the City Council and Centro are braced for complaints and bad PR over this.

Does anyone know why the powers-that-be can't wait until start of service on Sunday morning?  The Network West Midlands website gives no explanation.

Ashley

After all the bad press West Midlands bus services already has, im sorry to say but most of the entire system is a shambolic joke, and tomorrow night will just go badly, worsened by the fact that most bus passengers wont exactly be the nicest of people after a few drinks in the pub

Tony

Quote from: Justin Tyme on July 20, 2012, 09:22:49 PM
Has everyone seen the news - placed on Network West Midlands' website only yesterday - that the Birmingham City Centre changes will now take place at 11 pm on Saturday 21st July?

Although departures after 11 pm "will be leaving five minutes later than scheduled to give passengers sufficient time to find their stop", this has got a be a recipe for confusion after a Saturday night on the town.  It's as if someone deliberately wants this to get off to a bad start.  I hope the City Council and Centro are braced for complaints and bad PR over this.

Does anyone know why the powers-that-be can't wait until start of service on Sunday morning?  The Network West Midlands website gives no explanation.

Because it takes longer than the 5 hours 40 minutes (the time after the last bus on Saturday Evening) to the first bus Sunday Morning to change all the road signs for all the road that are changing direction etc.
Full marks to Birmingham City Council for being able to do it in 6 hours 55 minutes if they manage it.

Tony

Quote from: Ashley on July 20, 2012, 09:39:50 PM
After all the bad press West Midlands bus services already has, im sorry to say but most of the entire system is a shambolic joke, and tomorrow night will just go badly, worsened by the fact that most bus passengers wont exactly be the nicest of people after a few drinks in the pub

How can you say tomorrow night  will go badly wrong in advance? Have you seen all the plans? Don't you have faith that myself, all the other Inspectors, Centro Staff, Council Staff, managers & drivers that are on duty until last bus tomorrow night will be able to get people to their buses. I am not in Birmingham until after midnight tomorrow just to see 3225 go down Corporation Street at 11pm!

Ashley

Apologies for the poorly selected strong words and large amount of pesimism. I don't doubt you or your colleagues for a minute Tony. I have seen the plans, and well done to all parties involved if it does get off to a smooth start. Apologies again

Tony

Quote from: Ashley on July 20, 2012, 09:56:56 PM
Apologies for the poorly selected strong words and large amount of pesimism. I don't doubt you or your colleagues for a minute Tony. I have seen the plans, and well done to all parties involved if it does get off to a smooth start. Apologies again

My main criticism of it all is this has been planned now for two years, and yet Birmingham Council have not been able to get all the street furniture and infrastructure in place by opening day.
Because the cameras to enforce the bus lanes are not ready they are paying the police to enforce them. The bus U-turn is currently being enlarged, and various other things are still missing that could have been put in without disrupting traffic.

Counting the number of buses actually using most of the pinch points it is now less than before, so Centro seem to have done as good job as they could with stops and routes considering they are losing the most popular road in the City

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Tony on July 20, 2012, 10:08:47 PM
My main criticism of it all is this has been planned now for two years, and yet Birmingham Council have not been able to get all the street furniture and infrastructure in place by opening day.
Because the cameras to enforce the bus lanes are not ready they are paying the police to enforce them. The bus U-turn is currently being enlarged, and various other things are still missing that could have been put in without disrupting traffic.

Counting the number of buses actually using most of the pinch points it is now less than before, so Centro seem to have done as good job as they could with stops and routes considering they are losing the most popular road in the City

But there's plans & there's reality. Let's take the U-turn as an example, that layout has been marked out for 6 months, cut for at least three months, yet they only tested it (& found it wanting) in the week prior. Now i don't know about you, but i looked at the markings & thought it tight at the time.

Admittedly the weather has been sh!te this year, but has it really pushed schedules back that much that with 48 hours to go it all looked a bloody mess? As for the 11pm switchover, tha arguement for allowing time to change road signs doesn't scan. Any organization worthy of the name would have had them erected (& covered) long before, ready to be unveiled (& the old ones obscured) overnight.) - or is it just so the suits can have their jolly & get back to their clubs at a reasonable hour?

As for the last comment about Centro 'losing' the most popular road, i think that sums this whole farce up succinctly. Centro's bloody obsession with toy trains  >:(

Anyway, i'll get to watch the 'entertainment' on Monday, can't wait....  :o

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Tony on July 20, 2012, 10:08:47 PM

I agree, Tony.  If more street furniture had been put up in advance (including stop signs, which could have been covered over until the day), this would have been avoided.  And, by the looks of it, the  powers-that-be have only realised at the last minute that there wouldn't be enough time to do everything overnight.

fleetline6477

I forsee a big problem with changeover at 11.00 tonight. If, for example, a 14, 94, 72E due to depart Lower Bull Street or a Dudley Road, Bristol Road, pershore Road bus due to depart from Lower Bull Street or Corporation Street between 2250 and 2300 is for some reason running late and arrive after 1100 what happens? Passengers are waiting at those stops do they have to run across town? By the time that service arrives a 37, Sutton Line or any route that is routed to come up Lower Bull Street will have arrived.

Surely, as has been stated this project has been 2 years in the planning and there should be no excuse for bus shelters not being in place, new road signs not being installed and covered up. I know there has been a vast amount of work to do and the rain must have had an effect but everything should be finished and inplace a few days before changeover.

Tony

Quote from: fleetline6477 on July 21, 2012, 09:05:41 AM
I forsee a big problem with changeover at 11.00 tonight. If, for example, a 14, 94, 72E due to depart Lower Bull Street or a Dudley Road, Bristol Road, pershore Road bus due to depart from Lower Bull Street or Corporation Street between 2250 and 2300 is for some reason running late and arrive after 1100 what happens? Passengers are waiting at those stops do they have to run across town? By the time that service arrives a 37, Sutton Line or any route that is routed to come up Lower Bull Street will have arrived.

Surely, as has been stated this project has been 2 years in the planning and there should be no excuse for bus shelters not being in place, new road signs not being installed and covered up. I know there has been a vast amount of work to do and the rain must have had an effect but everything should be finished and inplace a few days before changeover.

We'll see on your first point, remember the inspectors on duty do actually have radio contact with the buses to know where they are, and if they are running late. Some of the other operators might be a bit more difficult.
I hope no buses are coming the wrong way up Bull Street at 11pm! It is not an 11pm changeover as I stated above. The council put the cones out at 11pm, they then have until 5.55am to paint the white lines on the road for the reversal on Sunday morning.
It is not just a case of covering some signs and uncovering others.

Buses due to depart between 23.01 and 00.15 will be using Priory Queensway or Snow Hill, not the new routes

matt904102

Quote from: Tony on July 20, 2012, 09:47:22 PM
Quote from: Ashley on July 20, 2012, 09:39:50 PM

How can you say tomorrow night  will go badly wrong in advance? Have you seen all the plans? Don't you have faith that myself, all the other Inspectors, Centro Staff, Council Staff, managers & drivers that are on duty until last bus tomorrow night will be able to get people to their buses. I am not in Birmingham until after midnight tomorrow just to see 3225 go down Corporation Street at 11pm!
At last a proper bus on then scene

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk