News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

HS2

Started by richardjones210368, January 30, 2020, 03:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

My question is, will people be able to afford to travel on it? I know fares on HS1 are considerably more expensive than normal train fares between the places it serves.

Will it be the case that billions in tax payers money will be spent and only the lucky few can afford a ticket.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

danny

Lol concorde of the rail network @Stuharris 6360 😂😂😂
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Kevin

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 11, 2020, 11:40:54 PM
My question is, will people be able to afford to travel on it? I know fares on HS1 are considerably more expensive than normal train fares between the places it serves.

Will it be the case that billions in tax payers money will be spent and only the lucky few can afford a ticket.

In the same way Avanti fares are more expensive than LNWR fares, still get full trains.... If only the lucky few can afford tickets how are trains on HS1 so popular?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on February 12, 2020, 08:01:42 AM
In the same way Avanti fares are more expensive than LNWR fares, still get full trains.... If only the lucky few can afford tickets how are trains on HS1 so popular?

London-Paris on HS1 - journey time 2h42m - walk on fare £169
London-Newcastle on GNER - journey time  2h49m - walk on fare £165

Look very similar fares on high speed lines to me.

Roy

Quote from: Kevin on February 12, 2020, 08:01:42 AM

In addition, off peak fares on HS1 are cheap to get bums on seats.  For instance, Wolverhampton to Ramsgate using Avanti to Euston and HS1 from St Pancras - £17.15 with railcard.  They'll have to offer similar deals on HS2 to fill off-peak trains.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Roy on February 12, 2020, 08:58:27 AM
In addition, off peak fares on HS1 are cheap to get bums on seats.  For instance, Wolverhampton to Ramsgate using Avanti to Euston and HS1 from St Pancras - £17.15 with railcard.  They'll have to offer similar deals on HS2 to fill off-peak trains.

Price discrimination is the term

winston

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 12, 2020, 11:16:22 AM

No, it's differential pricing.

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 12, 2020, 11:16:22 AM

How is it? It's no different to London Birmingham fares. In general the quicker you want to get to London, the more you pay. LNWR are the slowest and cheapest, Avanti are the quickest and most expensive, Chiltern are in the middle.

Yes I know advance tickets can skew this, but it stands on general

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on February 12, 2020, 01:39:06 PM
How is it? It's no different to London Birmingham fares. In general the quicker you want to get to London, the more you pay. LNWR are the slowest and cheapest, Avanti are the quickest and most expensive, Chiltern are in the middle.

Yes I know advance tickets can skew this, but it stands on general

I was on about how peak journeys are so expensive and how you can get cheap tickets off peak.

winston

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 12, 2020, 02:30:06 PM
I was on about how peak journeys are so expensive and how you can get cheap tickets off peak.

Off peak is quieter, ticket prices are therefore lowered to encourage more travellers / stimulate demand

Stuharris 6360

From London St Pancras International to Gravesend

Off Peak Return via Thameslink £14:20
Off Peak Return via HS1 £18:80

Anytime Day Return via Thameslink £19.90
Anytime Day Return via HS1 £26:60

So therefore to me you are charged a premium for HS1 even though public money was paid out to build it!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Trident 4194

Quote from: Winston on February 12, 2020, 02:35:18 PM
Off peak is quieter, ticket prices are therefore lowered to encourage more travellers / stimulate demand

Yes essentially those that pay peak fares enable those who travel off peak to have such low fares- therefore pricing these consumers into the market at a consequence of the higher fare paying passengers. Third degree price discrimination

winston

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 12, 2020, 04:35:49 PM
Yes essentially those that pay peak fares enable those who travel off peak to have such low fares- therefore pricing these consumers into the market at a consequence of the higher fare paying passengers. Third degree price discrimination

It's the simple rule of demand & supply that sets the pricing.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Winston on February 12, 2020, 04:59:28 PM
It's the simple rule of demand & supply that sets the pricing.

One could argue it delves further than that, but yes essentially

Gareth

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 12, 2020, 03:12:06 PM
From London St Pancras International to Gravesend

Off Peak Return via Thameslink £14:20
Off Peak Return via HS1 £18:80

Anytime Day Return via Thameslink £19.90
Anytime Day Return via HS1 £26:60

So therefore to me you are charged a premium for HS1 even though public money was paid out to build it!

Doesn't matter who paid for it to be built. If you want a premium service you pay a premium price. As much as we may disagree with how tax money is spent, that's how taxes work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk