News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

HS2

Started by richardjones210368, January 30, 2020, 03:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardjones210368

HS2
I have just learnt from a colleagues who still works In Whitehall that HS2 was agreed and signed off by the Prime Minister in Cabinet this afternoon and will go ahead albeit with a few tweaks to delight of the Metro Mayor of the WMCA

Busboy105

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 30, 2020, 03:50:03 PM
I have just learnt from a colleagues who still works In Whitehall that HS2 was agreed and signed off by the Prime Minister in Cabinet this morning and will go ahead albeit with a few tweaks to delight of the Metro Mayor of the WMCA
Yes I did hear about that. Nice to see that it's finally going through.

RW

Let's hope you're right richardj. Could it just be a rumour? Any suggestion when decision, if it has been made,  will be put in the public domain

richardjones210368

Quote from: RW on January 30, 2020, 05:30:07 PM
Let's hope you're right richardj. Could it just be a rumour? Any suggestion when decision, if it has been made,  will be put in the public domain
As I worked with a person who is now high up at No 10 for  six years I can assure you that according to him it is most defiantly on as he has seen the minutes of  the cabinet meeting but slightly revised I asked him if I could leak it and he said feel free I am not aware of the exact date for the official announcement but it is green lighted the last date will be 11th March when the Finance Act is due to be debated.

RW

Not sure how your post reflects reports on the evening news that the PM, Chancellor and Transport Secretary are still meeting this evening to consider their decision. Here's hoping your source is right. Time will tell!

richardjones210368

Quote from: RW on January 30, 2020, 06:30:35 PM
Not sure how your post reflects reports on the evening news that the PM, Chancellor and Transport Secretary are still meeting this evening to consider their decision. Here's hoping your source is right. Time will tell!
The decision was taken at 15.30 for HS2 this afternoon and was agreed. The PM &  Chancellor and other senior cabinet ministers are meeting now and debating the rest of The Finance Act to be enacted on the 11th March 2020 today's cabinet was not just for HS2 but for everything connected with Sajids Budget including the revisions to The Buses Act to be announced. I have been at meetings at no 11 and they can start at 1pm and go on to 9.30pm at night. HS2 was just one of a number items to be discussed the media always focus on one issue. The meting will finish about 9.30pm for the Lobby Correspondents to be briefed before the main news on the three networks at 10pm

RW

Thanks richardj. You can't be surprised that news of that significance causes a few doubts given the way it has arrived on this forum. But prepared to take it at face value and now await the 10 o'clock news with nervous anticipation. Thanks again for responding.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: RW on January 30, 2020, 09:03:03 PM
Thanks richardj. You can't be surprised that news of that significance causes a few doubts given the way it has arrived on this forum. But prepared to take it at face value and now await the 10 o'clock news with nervous anticipation. Thanks again for responding.

It isn't due to be announced till early next week at the earliest, plus the fact that many backbench MPs have severe misgivings about it and may need persuading against voting against it.

I myself can't see the point in spending such an amount on 1 single project when there are so many other projects which need public money.

Plus if cities like Birmingham want HS2 they should be prepared to cough up a percentage towards the cost.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 30, 2020, 09:18:10 PM
It isn't due to be announced till early next week at the earliest, plus the fact that many backbench MPs have severe misgivings about it and may need persuading against voting against it.

I myself can't see the point in spending such an amount on 1 single project when there are so many other projects which need public money.

Plus if cities like Birmingham want HS2 they should be prepared to cough up a percentage towards the cost.
The next phase will be whipped the Government has a large enough majority the number of backbench Mps against it according to my source is 12 leaving the Government with a majority of at the worst 68. Not a single one of the 63 new MPs would dare defy the whip after  becoming incumbents of the Tory Whip. HS2 has been signed off the cabinet to be honest I would not be surprised to see Grant Shapps place a Statutory Instrument before the commons avoiding a vote anyway. The bill in whatever form will form part of the Finance Bill on the 11th March. WMCA is not allowed to fund national infrastructure projects these have to come from Central Government therefore Birmingham could not fund HS2 even if it wanted too.

richardjones210368

Quote from: RW on January 30, 2020, 09:03:03 PM
It might be with the lobby corespondents tonight but any formal announcement will be closer to the 11th March but its going ahead

RW

"Closer to 11th March". Really? PM says decision imminent and Transport Sec' says next week. No way can they delay up to 11 March. MP's would not put up with that sort of delay. What would be the point? More likely PM is holding announcement back in order to avoid anything overshadowing Brexit day. You could run that past your 'source'  for a view richardj.

richardjones210368

Quote from: RW on January 31, 2020, 08:33:49 AM
"Closer to 11th March". Really? PM says decision imminent and Transport Sec' says next week. No way can they delay up to 11 March. MP's would not put up with that sort of delay. What would be the point? More likely PM is holding announcement back in order to avoid anything overshadowing Brexit day. You could run that past your 'source'  for a view richardj.
MPs will have to put up with it despite your comments and my source will happily confirm that the 11th March is BUDGET DAY despite any announcement made at the dispatch box beforehand the legislation will form part of The Finance Act 2020 which cannot be laid before the House before The Chancellors Speach there is a major parliamentary difference between an announcement at The Dispatch Box which is likely in the coming days with an order paper seconded by Transport Secretary following a Statement to the House & legislation actually laid before the House which is what I am commenting on with the 11th March. What I will totally agree with you today is a day of national significance for the United Kingdom who on earth would want overshadow & take the limelight of The Pet Shop Boys first No1 indie chart hit for 26 years?

RW

Think we might be saying the same thing richardj. I know budget day is 11 March and I thought that you were saying that was when decision would be announced in the House and to the public, but you then refer to a despatch box announcement which I think we both agree should be/probably will be early next week. Hopefully it will be the only sensible decision that can be made namely HS2 is go. Any other decision would be highly embarrassing to the PM personally and the Govt in general and would incur the wrath of the voters who put him there.

richardjones210368

Quote from: RW on January 31, 2020, 03:39:10 PM
Think we might be saying the same thing richardj. I know budget day is 11 March and I thought that you were saying that was when decision would be announced in the House and to the public, but you then refer to a despatch box announcement which I think we both agree should be/probably will be early next week. Hopefully it will be the only sensible decision that can be made namely HS2 is go. Any other decision would be highly embarrassing to the PM personally and the Govt in general and would incur the wrath of the voters who put him there.
Yes @RW fully agree with all your points

RW

Please keep us up to date richardj with anything that comes your way if you are able to. Sadly can't rely on the media which in general appear to be obsessed  with all things 'northern' are mostly anti HS2 and just seem to ignore the needs of the Midlands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk