News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Apps: NX Bus vs NX West Midlands

Started by GeminiFan1991, October 06, 2019, 10:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminiFan1991

Hi All,

I used to use the NXWM app regularly but as of late, I noticed it just doesn't seem to work. At first, I assumed it was an isolated incident so I took no noticed but its happened multiple times and now every time I load a stop, it just says "There are no National Express West Midlands services due fro this stop". I've since started using NX Bus app (An app which I initially dismissed) and after a short while using it, I have to say it's really intuitive. I especially like the fact it gives you a route map and I believe it even tracks buses on a map (Admittedly I did find it to be hit or miss). Overall, I like this and its a good improvement. I don't like its route planning takes you to Google Maps as opposed to calculating in app (Like NXWM).

Has the NXWM app also ceased to function for anyone else? What are peoples views each app?
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

The BY Garage drivers on the 55 were telling people to download the new app as the old app will no longer work, a few weeks ago.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: 2206 on October 06, 2019, 10:49:42 PM
The BY Garage drivers on the 55 were telling people to download the new app as the old app will no longer work, a few weeks ago.

I've noticed the app occasionally not showing any information but I dismissed it thinking it was "down".

Stu

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on October 06, 2019, 10:27:45 PM
Hi All,

I used to use the NXWM app regularly but as of late, I noticed it just doesn't seem to work. At first, I assumed it was an isolated incident so I took no noticed but its happened multiple times and now every time I load a stop, it just says "There are no National Express West Midlands services due fro this stop". I've since started using NX Bus app (An app which I initially dismissed) and after a short while using it, I have to say it's really intuitive. I especially like the fact it gives you a route map and I believe it even tracks buses on a map (Admittedly I did find it to be hit or miss). Overall, I like this and its a good improvement. I don't like its route planning takes you to Google Maps as opposed to calculating in app (Like NXWM).

Has the NXWM app also ceased to function for anyone else? What are peoples views each app?

I noticed that the other day, that it was showing 'There are no services from this stop'. Just checked it now, and its not even loading the stop markers, so I guess they've finally killed it off.

A shame, as there were still aspects to the 'old' app where it was better, like how much quicker it was at loading the map and the stop icons. The 'new' app did improve, but I think since some recent update it has become hit-and-miss, I get a lot of 'sorry something went wrong' messages, and sometimes the vehicle positions seem to be 'delayed'.

What is still badly missing is some kind of proper 'service alert' feed, rather than just showing what the social media 'team' have 'tweeted'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stu on October 07, 2019, 07:09:23 PM
I noticed that the other day, that it was showing 'There are no services from this stop'. Just checked it now, and its not even loading the stop markers, so I guess they've finally killed it off.

A shame, as there were still aspects to the 'old' app where it was better, like how much quicker it was at loading the map and the stop icons. The 'new' app did improve, but I think since some recent update it has become hit-and-miss, I get a lot of 'sorry something went wrong' messages, and sometimes the vehicle positions seem to be 'delayed'.

What is still badly missing is some kind of proper 'service alert' feed, rather than just showing what the social media 'team' have 'tweeted'.

I've stopped using the old app but I have all of the saved stops on it. I wish there was a way to migrate saved stops over.

I mirror your liking as well. The added functionality of the map alongside seeing an entire route, I do find quite remarkable. The bus tracking seemingly updates in it's own time but I do like its idea and have found on occasion, it does work. I also get the same messages but from what I heard about the app from someone, I had a fairly low opinion of it and its exceeded it. Room for improvement is evident but I reckon the app will improve over time.

Service alerts on the old app still seem to work !

Mike K

Anyone else finding the NXBus app a work of complete fiction again? The attached picture is what the app was telling me as I got ready to leave the house this morning. Just missed 2 buses and a 25 minute wait for the next 23. Marvellous.

On arriving at the stop a few minutes later, the 2 'due' buses must have decided to reverse back towards California as their times were moving backwards - and were now due in 2 and 3 minutes.

A check of Google maps showed a bus due in 1 minute (and another in 7 minutes). One did arrive within a couple of minutes, the other one on the NX app quite simply didn't exist. I shall use Google maps in future. Whilst it's usually a couple of minutes out, it's far more reliable.

Strangely I don't have the same issues with the NX app on my journey home.

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

highland

From my experience in Coventry, the new app produces much more accurate estimates of next bus times than either the real time info at bus stops or any other apps, Google Maps included. It is still wrong fairly often, though - only the other day I had a bus counting down to Due when it had not actually arrived at the origin yet.

It takes much longer to buy m-tickets on NX Bus than on the old app, and it often crashes too.

Bus Man K2

The app is set for the timetabled time so when it says due at the stop and it's nowhere to be seen then that's why. Although from my experiences it has got better as it does now show if the bus is late.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 07, 2019, 03:15:18 PM
The app is set for the timetabled time so when it says due at the stop and it's nowhere to be seen then that's why. Although from my experiences it has got better as it does now show if the bus is late.

Completely incorrect.

If it says a time it is the timetabled time. If it says a number of minutes or 'due' it is on realtime

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on December 07, 2019, 03:43:44 PM
Completely incorrect.

If it says a time it is the timetabled time. If it says a number of minutes or 'due' it is on realtime

That's not according to some people in NX.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 07, 2019, 04:02:59 PM
That's not according to some people in NX.

Who are 'some people'?

It will only ever say due when it is counting down minutes. Timetabled journies when the vehicle isn't tracking for any reason always just give the time due

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on December 07, 2019, 04:08:25 PM
Who are 'some people'?

It will only ever say due when it is counting down minutes. Timetabled journies when the vehicle isn't tracking for any reason always just give the time due

I thought the forum rules were you're not supposed to give any names out incase it gets passed to management. Hence whey  I said some people.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 07, 2019, 04:12:00 PM
I thought the forum rules were you're not supposed to give any names out incase it gets passed to management. Hence whey  I said some people.

Just meant drivers?, Travelshop staff?, Customer realtions?  Not actual names

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on December 07, 2019, 04:18:32 PM
Just meant drivers?, Travelshop staff?, Customer realtions?  Not actual names

Even if they still work for NX?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk