News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Pet hates

Started by Ginger66, January 25, 2019, 07:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

I catch either 23/34 from Harborne into city every afternoons the stop is rammed with students from uni the 23 pulls in, as it is busy i flag the 24 which is behind who sails on by.

Surely the driver on the 24 should stop if someone flags the bus to stop at the bus stop.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Ginger66 on January 25, 2019, 07:25:57 AM
I catch either 23/34 from Harborne into city every afternoons the stop is rammed with students from uni the 23 pulls in, as it is busy i flag the 24 which is behind who sails on by.

Surely the driver on the 24 should stop if someone flags the bus to stop at the bus stop.

Happens constantly wherever you are in the West Midlands.

Kevin

Quote from: Ginger66 on January 25, 2019, 07:25:57 AM

Why should they? By going round they can carry on ahead and pick up from other stops further along helping out the other bus, if they both stopped and carried on together then its just going to delay both routes and passengers will get annoyed
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

John

Quote from: Kevin on January 25, 2019, 08:26:17 AM
Why should they? By going round they can carry on ahead and pick up from other stops further along helping out the other bus, if they both stopped and carried on together then its just going to delay both routes and passengers will get annoyed

Well said. I do exactly the same in that situation. I'll go round and pick up people further up the road to stop the first bus getting overcrowded

Solo1

Could always walk back a stop.to get a seat

Ex BC driver

The stop outside Harborne Academy going towards city, if there was a bus already at the stop, the teachers tried flagging us down, however we used to carry on, otherwise we'd be obstructing the pedestrian crossing. All changed there now though

Quote from: Solo1 on January 25, 2019, 08:54:00 AM
Could always walk back a stop.to get a seat
That depends where people are getting on at and where they are full from, it could be more than one stop, in some cases.
Quote from: John on January 25, 2019, 08:29:39 AM
Well said. I do exactly the same in that situation. I'll go round and pick up people further up the road to stop the first bus getting overcrowded
If there's not likely to be enough capacity on the first bus and there are lots of eople waiting then I think they should stop rather than leaving people waiting for the next because they can't all get on.
It's fine if there's enough capacity on the first bus though.
Quote from: Kevin on January 25, 2019, 08:26:17 AM
It depends I think, you'll annoy passengers if there are lots waiting for it, and a full bus turns up wiith no more capacity, so they don't let anyone else on and leave people behind, while an empty bus drives straight past. Leaving those passengers waiting 20 minutes for the next one.
Then again,in lots of cases the drivers probably have no idea how full the one infront is.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steveminor

My pet hate is when there are two empty pushchair (which could have been folded since they're empty) meaning I can't get my son on the bus.

Ginger66

Quote from: Steveminor on January 25, 2019, 07:27:20 PM
My pet hate is when there are two empty pushchair (which could have been folded since they're empty) meaning I can't get my son on the bus.
Seen this happen many times and parent ends up seatig a few seats away in main seating area.

Solo1

you could always ask them to put it down as it's empty who would they like it if it was the other way round

j789

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 25, 2019, 07:49:36 AM
Happens constantly wherever you are in the West Midlands.

As a driver, this is a pet hate of mine and many other colleagues when someone in another bus just sits behind you letting you do all the work, especially when you're late. Most drivers like to help one another by driving past and trying to help out but you always get one or two who aren't team players.

And it also works the other way too with passengers already on the bus happy to go past the stop when another is already there. I have had verbal abuse in the past from passengers on the bus because I did stop behind another bus. As usual, we bus drivers can never win!

Stu

On that subject, my mind gets boggled whenever a bus pulls up at a stop with a number of waiting passengers, one or two of which may have a buggy with them. The first passengers will get on, and take available seats in the buggy area, and then huff and puff because they have to move to make way for the buggies! Some people are just completely oblivious to what is going on around them! This of course happens when there are numerous seats available elsewhere, but some people just really don't want to take an empty seat next to another fellow human being.

Same applies to those who prefer to stand in the most awkward part of the bus to avoid sitting next to somebody else, and then wonder why they get trampled on by other passengers trying to get on and off.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on January 26, 2019, 07:59:40 PM
Same applies to those who prefer to stand in the most awkward part of the bus to avoid sitting next to somebody else, and then wonder why they get trampled on by other passengers trying to get on and off.
Not just there by the doors of the bus, but you get loads who choose to stand on the stairs of the bus as well, making it difficult for passengers to get off. Though as far as I know NX aren't supposed to be carrying standing passengers on the stairs and top deck.
On the other hand though some NX buses on the 11 can be very overcrowded with knowhere else for passengers to go (All of the seats full and rammed with as many passengers as possible) - such as 6111 and 4516 on Thursday at the Swan at 5PM, so there's no more room for anyone else and they have to say they can't let anyone else on.

The one thing that annoys me most personally is when people go to the back of the top deck and start smoking, I find generally the smell it creates atrocious, it annoys me that these people can't go a 10 minute bus journey without smoking. I find it incredibly selfish.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

P419 EJW

When people sit at the back and place their footwear on the opposite seats in a double decker, especially when they are wet and/or dirty.

Solo1

When they are seats but passengers still stand up rather than
sit down

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk