News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Christmas Tree

Started by Ginger66, November 06, 2018, 05:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Will one of the ubro3's be turned into a christmas for parts like the old t69s or are the parts more readily avaliable for the ubro3 trams as Edinburgh use this tram as well

DJ

I'd presume that parts are more readily available, since the T69 was a bespoke design, whereas the Urbos 3 is used across Europe as well as in Edinburgh and the West Midlands. I also presume they'll be ordering more once work really gets going on the Brierley Hill line.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Ginger66

Quote from: StourValley98 on November 06, 2018, 01:54:24 PM
I'd presume that parts are more readily available, since the T69 was a bespoke design, whereas the Urbos 3 is used across Europe as well as in Edinburgh and the West Midlands. I also presume they'll be ordering more once work really gets going on the Brierley Hill line.

It would be strange if went for a different model for other routes

The Real 4778

No operator sets out to strategically create a Christmas tree from one of its fleet.  The reason a defective T69 was reduced to this status is because as a fleet gets longer in the tooth spare parts are harder to obtain, so a tactical decision was taken to rob from it to keep others in traffic.  In order to achieve the required availability from the new CAF fleet, there is an an agreement to supply spares to support the trams, without having to resort to robbing from vehicles that are stopped due to failure or awaiting replacement material themselves.

Regarding new additional vehicles, Transport for West Midlands will go to open competitive tender for the new vehicles.  The decision of winning tram builder will be based on a combination of price, delivery and technical specification.  There's no reason to believe that this favours more CAF vehicles over other manufacturers' products.
Don't you start.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: The Real 4778 on November 07, 2018, 03:56:55 PM
Regarding new additional vehicles, Transport for West Midlands will go to open competitive tender for the new vehicles.  The decision of winning tram builder will be based on a combination of price, delivery and technical specification.  There's no reason to believe that this favours more CAF vehicles over other manufacturers' products.

While your comment is certainly true, doesn't it really make more sense to go with CAF as then it only means you have to keep spares for one type of vehicle and you save money not having to train your maintenance staff on different vehicles.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

The Real 4778

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 07, 2018, 04:06:52 PM
While your comment is certainly true, doesn't it really make more sense to go with CAF as then it only means you have to keep spares for one type of vehicle and you save money not having to train your maintenance staff on different vehicles.

On face value yes, but if the CAF vehicles are more expensive to operate in other respects, OR show signs of unexpected wear, fatigue or unreliability, then it may be more diligent to select another type of vehicle AND retrospectively replace the CAF trams with the new type at the end of the build. 

The CAF vehicles were selected on the basis of their purchase price, which you could say is a tactical rather than a strategic purchase!
Don't you start.

Steveminor

You could say the same about buses & coaches, yet all fleets are made up of different makes & models. As has been pointed out tgere are many factors that come into consideration when choosing vehicles.

The Real 4778

Quote from: Steveminor on November 08, 2018, 08:35:18 PM
You could say the same about buses & coaches, yet all fleets are made up of different makes & models. As has been pointed out tgere are many factors that come into consideration when choosing vehicles.

Spot on, Steve. Committed LRV production schedules also mean that what may have looked like a competitive offer last year from one builder is far less attractive from the same manufacturer just now.  Size of order drives economies of scale too - it's a complex commercial situation.
Don't you start.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk