News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

For Sale

Started by Tony, June 29, 2012, 10:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Ash

I wonder if Rotala will move in to buy the redditch operations

winston

Quote from: Ash on June 29, 2012, 10:25:29 PM
I wonder if Rotala will move in to buy the redditch operations

I would have thought Rotala would be interested in Redditch & possibly Kidderminster

Also EYMS owned Whittles may also be interested in the Kidderminster operation to add to its own routes in the town

It's amazing just how much the Redditch & Kidderminster allocations have shrunk over the past few years

Would the MMC block any takeover attempts or impose undertakings by either Rotala (Redditch) or Whittles (Kidderminster)? both operators could end up with a monopoly on those towns if successful

I'm assuming NX wouldn't be interested in either of the above, as they don't have the scale
The list of operations up for sale by First is still some way off the £100 Million of disposals they are making

D10

Of course it would be perfect for Rotala to take over in Redditch and EYMS to take over in Kidderminster as once again you would have a proper network of services where you would only need one ticket to get around. Alas the Competition authorities might take a very expensive and time consuming look at such purchases due to the loss of competition, even though such a move would surely be in the passenger interest.

TinnedPeaches

Let's throw this one into the ring: Arriva. No current presence in that particular area, plus they've just made a move north of Kidderminster with the Centro contracts around the Dudley area.

winston

Quote from: Mr Wood on June 30, 2012, 11:28:05 AM
Let's throw this one into the ring: Arriva. No current presence in that particular area, plus they've just made a move north of Kidderminster with the Centro contracts around the Dudley area.

Arriva is a good call, particularly if they are intent of weakening Rotala's Diamond bus business further

D10

Quote from: Winston on June 30, 2012, 11:51:09 AM

Arriva is a good call, particularly if they are intent of weakening Rotala's Diamond bus business further

Yes and Kidderminster in particular is nicely sited near to the Bridgnorth garage who already operate the 297 between the two towns.

winston

Quote from: D10 on June 30, 2012, 01:22:27 PM
Quote from: Winston on June 30, 2012, 11:51:09 AM

Yes and Kidderminster in particular is nicely sited near to the Bridgnorth garage who already operate the 297 between the two towns.

I guess NX could still potentially be interested in RH & KR, if they felt Arriva were looking to increase their presence in the surrounding area & could potentially become a greater threat in the NXWM territory. Thus blocking any Arriva plans by taking control of those operations, even though they don't fit with NXWM's high frequency / urban criteria

Discodave

What about some of the other areas chester to arriva whom are already there and wigan, stagecoach for northampton who like arriva are a big player there.  The midlands is an intresting one rotala is a good one for redditch but kiddeminster who knows I feel rotala would screw it up too many poles just like black diamond.  Arriva would be better but do not rule out whittles as another post has mentioned a well known local company with a big group EYMS running it.  Would Mr Peddle be interested in it?

winston

There's always the D&G bus group that own Midland to consider, they recently bought South Lancs Travel. They could be interested in KR?

Problem with Northampton going to Stagecoach & Chester to Arriva, those operators would have a monopoly on those towns, I'm not sure the MMC would allow it.

I think Wigan being put up for sale has surprised a few, one that I expected to be on the list & isn't is First Devon & Cornwall, plus I thought possibly parts of Eastern Counties & Essex be on there, but with Go-Ahead building a presence in those areas, First may not want to help Go-ahead strengthen it business.

Also First Group, blamed Scotland for its declining profits, none of those businesses are up for sale.

I believe First in Sheffield (Olive Grove) could have been on the disposal list, but I now understand that they have been given a stay of execution & are attempting to turn its fortunes around. Stagecoach Sheffield are currently wiping the floor with First on a number of counts

Discodave

true but arriva have a monopoly on most of the staffordshire towns except stoke area likewise stadgecoach have a monopoly in rugby

PM

Rotala for Chester as an absolute definite-they like former municipals, Arriva for Redditch as Rotala wouldnt be able to buy it anyway, EYMS-Whittle-for Kidderminster, Stagecoach for Northampton and I imagine Wigan will raise a lot and possibly they will sell further bits of London to raise the money.

Tony

Quote from: Peter123 on July 01, 2012, 11:58:32 AM
Rotala for Chester as an absolute definite-they like former municipals, Arriva for Redditch as Rotala wouldnt be able to buy it anyway, EYMS-Whittle-for Kidderminster, Stagecoach for Northampton and I imagine Wigan will raise a lot and possibly they will sell further bits of London to raise the money.

Remember Rotala have got to find the money to buy anything. To buy Preston (there only ex municipal) they borrowed against the value of the premises and fleet, I would imagine that would be a lot harder with Chester.

Why do you think Rotala wouldn't be able to buy Redditch, but Stagecoach would be able to buy Northampton and EYMS Kidderminster? There is no logic there at all!

Much that Stagecoach buying Northampton probably would be good for passengers having a unified network the interfering busy bodies at the MMC or whatever they are called this week would be having fits, the same as they did when Stagecoach bought Preston.

I reckon there will at least one really big surprise.

Discodave

You reckon NX will try for anything Tony they have not tried any thing for a while on what I know or is that what they would like annoys the MMC

matt904102

Most likely to be Arriva, to consolidate their network. Not really that much of a customer base in Kiddy. They have gotten used to a patchy bus network in the town, and only during the daytime mon to sat. Plus Whittles provide effective competition.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk